84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

My Project Truck is Finally Here!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 07:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Project Truck is Finally Here!!

Finally after almost a year I was able to pick up the 84 pickup that was given to me. It only cost $200 to haul it so really it wasn't exactly free. Figured I would put up some pics for you all to see. This will be a uber budget project at first because of being a broke college student so I don't expect much mods at first. Super cheap suggestions toward turning this into an acceptable rock rig are welcome.

So here it is.

Old 03-15-2008, 01:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
dang thats a nice looking free truck i was expecting a rust heep.good luck with your project.
Old 03-15-2008, 02:04 PM

throw that front bumper away, put rears up front, chevys out back, weld the rear. get some bigger tires and have fun
Old 03-15-2008, 05:13 PM

Well I almost got it fired up today. I had to go to work so I couldn't keep at it. I am hoping to get it running tomorrow. I think I have to replace/plug some vacuum lines on the Carburetor and see what it will do. I have heard of putting the rear suspension in the front and different springs in the rear. Wasn't sure what springs to put in the rear. After this post I will be searching to see what suspension set up people like. Maybe this summer I can do the suspension. Until then just going to get it roadable for the time being.
Old 03-15-2008, 06:45 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I will check this post since I am about to buy a budget rig that I can beat up. The truck I might be buying is much like this one, but I am having to pay for it. I will be following your thread.
Old 03-17-2008, 05:55 AM

It is alive!!! I got it running yesterday after having to rewire some stuff. It looks like someone went in at random with wire cutters. Now comes dealing with the vacuum lines. Here are some pics of the carburetor in pretty much the state I found it.

Here is the emissions control stuff that was taken off. Got to figure out what I need.
Old 03-17-2008, 07:46 AM

I don't know anything about rocks, but for mud and snow, my baja claws made all the difference in the world, so I'd suggest getting the gnarliest tires you can for a first mod.
Old 04-12-2008, 07:07 PM

So I took off the flat bed to be able to really get into it and found rust in the frame. Pretty much to be expected. It is looking I am going to have to replace the OX Bow that holds the center bearing and the gas tank as well as weld some metal into the frame. At the moment I don't have any money to put toward anything on this truck so it is on hold. I am really getting anxious to work on it since summer is near and I would like to play with it.

Anyone with a welder want to come play???

Here is a link to my project web page. Project Seven Rocks

Last edited by Fizboy; 07-20-2008 at 12:05 PM.
Old 06-29-2008, 07:40 AM

So I found the parts I needed for the throttle. $15 at the pick and pull. Now that that's fix, I have decided that I need to take the truck all the way down to the frame to repair the rusted areas. I am hoping this week I will have it down to nothing but axles and frame to start the frame repair. While doing that I have to figure out what kind of suspension I want to put on it. Either the Chevy swap or I am looking at the All-Pro kit for about $1500. I just want it on the road by the end of the summer.
Old 07-20-2008, 12:04 PM

The project is well under way. I picked up a set of Chevy springs to swap in the rear and throw the rears up front to get rid of the worn out inverted front springs. Now I have lots of welding to do to weld in the spring hangers, a new horse collar from 4Xinnovations, and patches in the frame. Hopefully it will be on the trail by fall so I can start paying off all the $$$ I spent on it this summer.

To keep up dated Check out Project Seven Rocks
Old 07-22-2008, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by Fizboy
The project is well under way. I picked up a set of Chevy springs to swap in the rear and throw the rears up front to get rid of the worn out inverted front springs

I have been wondering for some time now.
What year and style of chevy are you all getting the springs out of and why? more lift? Same reason for putting the rears on the front? What all needs to to be doen for all of this? Thanks!
Old 07-23-2008, 07:37 AM

Just do a search for Chevy Spring Swap and you find many many posts. Here is also a really great link about the swap. Chevy Swap on Pirate 4X4
Old 07-23-2008, 03:28 PM

Thanks! Nice work on your rig as well. Do you take the doors off? Just wondering because your mirrors are on the fenders.
Old 07-28-2008, 03:49 AM

The doors are on a semi quick release. I have yet to do any wheeling with the doors off since the truck is in a million pieces at the moment. The Mirror was placed on the fender by the previous owner of the truck. I am guessing that he wheeled it with out doors.
Old 07-29-2008, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by Fizboy
The Mirror was placed on the fender by the previous owner of the truck. I am guessing that he wheeled it with out doors.
I'm guessing I've got a long lost brother cause I did the same thing with my mirrors.

looks like it's gonna be a fun build.
Old 09-23-2008, 08:28 PM

Well the Chevy swap is finished, the new horse collar from 4X innovations is in, and all the frame repair is done. Even the engine and Tranny are back bolted in waiting for the cab to be finished.

I have decided to paint the cab International Harvester White. I want it kinda tan color but not quite and it fit the bill. The cab is getting new sheet metal in the floor board so you can't see the ground and a new rubber around the windshield. The cab is the next step in Phase 1 of construction.

I am also trying to figure out what shocks to go with. I thinking to just to get it on the road I will use the severely short Rancho 5000's that came on it until I can find $$$ or a really good deal. I just won't be able to wheel it right off.

Anyway if you want to see pictures check the build up page posted above.
Old 09-28-2008, 07:03 PM

Wow, looking good. But I don't really consider a frame up rebuild to be a budget build.

Last edited by oldgold3vze; 09-28-2008 at 07:11 PM.
Old 10-01-2008, 09:18 PM

Well so far it is under $700 and hoping not to exceed $1000. However it is looking like I will not be able to get away with out doing a HySteer conversion and that is going to be around $400. So that is going to blow my budget all to hell. We will see when the first phase is finished.
Old 10-04-2008, 05:18 AM

It looks awesome so far. I'm amazed what can be done on a budget if you have the willingness to dive in and do it yourself. Keep it up and keep us posted!
Old 04-07-2009, 06:18 PM

Ok so its been a long time coming but I have my rig built, inspected, and almost trail worthy. Sorry for the long post but it puts the build into prospective.

Since the last time I have posted a lot has been going on. Pretty much right after my last post my Girlfriend became really sick then, hospitalized, then major surgery. Everything pretty much came to a screeching stop for about 6 months. She is doing extremely well but there is still a long road of recovery ahead for both of us.

Also during the build I have been working on my last semester in college, working 2 part time jobs, and trying to remember I have friends who want to hang out. It has been a long and tiring road but I am almost there.

So enough with the pity party here are some pics and a link to the build site. I will up date it here soon.

http://www.radford.edu/~tcoad/Wheeli...%20Project.htm

Last edited by Fizboy; 04-07-2009 at 06:20 PM.

Quick Reply: My Project Truck is Finally Here!!