84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

AC wiring help so I can reproduce these

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2021, 04:12 PM

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
AC wiring help so I can reproduce these

I'm looking for some help with photos and/or details on the AC wiring for the 84-85 trucks. I currently make the under hood AC sub harness that connects the AC pump, AC Idle up VSV to the main harness that uses a 3 pin connector. I have a customer with an 84 and his harness has a 4 pin connector. The extra wire is green and from some research it sounds like it goes to the engine coolant temp switch and it disables the AC when the engine is too hot.

This is the 3 pin version, located behind the battery and should be really easy to get to. My wire diagram suggests 84 used only the 4 pin version, but the 4WD related stuff wasn't populated but it doesn't show for sure either way so confirming details would be awesome. Getting info on 85 would also be great since I don't have a good wire diagram that gives pin out data for that year.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/194281459870

Another sub harness related to AC is the one that plugs into the AC Amp behind the glove box. I'm pretty sure the 84 22R would use the same sub harness as an 86 22R, and the same thing for the 84 vs 86 with a 22RE. Again validating this info would be great. Harness on top is my reproduction version.

I'm always on the look out for small sub harnesses like these and pig tails. My specialty is Toyota and atv's (mainly Honda).

Thanks for any help on this!
Old 12-18-2021, 09:12 AM

Received 188 Likes on 133 Posts
I have no help for you, but want to say I'm happy that you are slowly growing your catalog of harnesses and connectors. I'm sure one day I will need your services. Keep at it.

Old 12-18-2021, 09:38 AM

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
No problem, I've targeted a lot more than just this era of pickup/4runner. Problem with these models is getting an original harness that's not destroyed. Like the cab to tail light harness, I only have the info for one exact truck combo, 84?-86 xtra cab, carb, long box which is probably the most uncommon next to the 1 ton. I could guess on lengths and hope I get it right since I'm pretty sure the actual wiring didn't change, but it's not a cheap part to produce .

I know wiring is a pretty common issue on these trucks, I can make pig tails for quite a lot of connectors, but I haven't gone through all of them and made a listing for them individually.

I also have plans for a pinout site that gives some basic details per connector. Lot of projects going on, but I have a basic proof of concept created on my computer. Image below is an example

Some specs from the database so far...

Connectors: 22
Pins: 432

Lot of time involved, but I think if I focus on one main item and got the site launched is probably better than trying to shotgun different connectors and vehicles etc. Kind of thinking the first target should probably be the ECU connectors. I have solid data starting around 1990+, older than that the book diagram designs are a lot more confusing to find things. I'd like to add some sort of community feedback on the site too, like the info is valid/not valid (up vs down vote or something), and maybe a very basic comment section or forum to talk about the pinout/connector and related mods like putting a 88 ac amp into a 86 Toyota pickup since it's not plug and play but is the same connector.

As always, feed back (good or bad) is always good =).

Update for the topic, the customer showed me a pic of what he says is an 85 22r 4x4 pickup, it shows the 4 pin connector with the green wire missing. I don't have an 85 wire diagram that shows pinouts, but based on 84 it says the green wire is 4wd only so I'm thinking maybe it's a connector only used 84-85... however the 3 pin connector's part number from Toyota lists 84-88 for the interchange. Clear as mud huh?
The following users liked this post:
Damion812 (12-19-2021)