Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

WOW, OMG, Most amazing all ORIGINAL 1st gen Toyota in the worldta ina the world

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 02:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pumpkinyota, I did see the window sticker and the "Sport Package" listed but if you check the parts book there was a Mini Console that mounted just in front of the indentation of the bench seat that was part of the Sport Truck Package. In addition, I saw a number of threads on this truck on a couple Toyota WEB sites some years back. Like I said, it still is a nice truck. There is a 1983 white colored deluxe truck shown somewhere on the WEB that is stock, original and is for sale-that one blows my mind.
Old 11-28-2012, 04:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is a couple of days from auction close, and it is over 13k. I'm sure it will make it to 15,000 or even 17,000. It's in good shape. I really hope that the owner decides it is worth using it as a truck, but somehow I think another collector will buy it, and it will go back into a cool dry box!

There's a 7 year old Toyota Taco that a commercial garage converted to the Toyota turbo diesel. It is OK for US registration and licensing(!), but they are asking a wild price (over $40,000!). Yes, it is a new engine, but not factory built, and the truck has 140k miles. It was no doubt LOTSA of work to do the conversion, the hard way. But, I saw Toyota factory fresh brand spanking new 4x4 extra-cabs in Spain last Summer for lower sticker price than that. I guess they are going for the one-of-a-kind appeal.
4x4 TD conversion on ebay

We need these to be imported. That 3 liter Turbo diesel is torquey, and it's available in the HiLux. You can also buy a V8 Turbo diesel that makes an astounding 430Nm of torque!!! It is sold in the Land Cruiser, but also in a 'cab-chassis' utility platform that you can equip with different bed alternatives (a sweet flip side flat bed is there), or make you own. What a beast THAT would be!

Here's a look at what they sell in Australia

Last edited by 83pingpong; 11-28-2012 at 06:32 AM.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by 83pingpong
There's a 7 year old Toyota Taco that a commercial garage converted to the Toyota turbo diesel. It is OK for US registration and licensing(!), but they are asking a wild price (over $40,000!). Yes, it is a new engine, but not factory built, and the truck has 140k miles. It was no doubt LOTSA of work to do the conversion, the hard way. But, I saw Toyota factory fresh brand spanking new 4x4 extra-cabs in Spain last Summer for lower sticker price than that. I guess they are going for the one-of-a-kind appeal.
4x4 TD conversion on ebay

We need these to be imported. That 3 liter Turbo diesel is torquey, and it's available in the HiLux. You can also buy a V8 Turbo diesel that makes an astounding 430Nm of torque!!! It is sold in the Land Cruiser, but also in a 'cab-chassis' utility platform that you can equip with different bed alternatives (a sweet flip side flat bed is there), or make you own. What a beast THAT would be!

Here's a look at what they sell in Australia
PingPong
I'm with you on that man. I freaking love those diesel Toyotas. I dont understand why they dont sell them here. That shop in Texas, Diesel Toys has a great rep. I saw the truck you were talking about. They will convert a newer Tundra for $30k. That is my dream truck. I will own one, one day. His justification for the price on that truck is hes comparing it to a New Chevy, Ford, or Dodge diesel and saying how much value they loose in the first year and that he believes these converted Toyota will hold the value much longer and I think he is right. I wonder what it would cost to just buy one from Australia and ship it home?, oh crap, but then it would be right hand drive! Thats no good.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:03 PM

Never saw the final on this red low miles pickup. Anyone see it?

The turbo diesel Tacoma didn't seem to sell, but check this out!

1986 3.0L turbo diesel conversion and restoration

This is an ebay link and it will expire at some point.

Nice looking white truck.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:10 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 83pingpong
Never saw the final on this red low miles pickup. Anyone see it?
Reached $15,338, reserve not met.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:35 PM

The turbo diesel Tacoma didn't seem to sell, but check this out!

1986 3.0L turbo diesel conversion and restoration

This is an ebay link and it will expire at some point.

Nice looking white truck.[/QUOTE]
I like that truck. Wish i could afford it. Those guys at Diesel Toys do great work. I'm starting back to work after almost 2 years off next month. I'll be pulling down close to six figures so maybe I'll have them convert one for me once i get caught up.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:58 PM

a little too nice for me
Old 12-06-2012, 12:26 PM

It looks like ours, ours was an 83 though
Old 12-10-2012, 04:03 PM

Yes, it is really a nice truck (I agree with you OP), BUT... If anyone uses that nice little "brand new" red '80 4WD on a dirt road, they would be sorry forever!
Wise words. It was sad just to see mine decay a little over the years, let alone one in that good of shape!
Old 02-19-2013, 02:55 PM

The best '80 4x4

WOW, OMG,  Most amazing all ORIGINAL 1st gen Toyota in the worldta ina the world-truck.jpg

For the record -- THIS is one of the nicest 80 4x4 trucks. It is a short bed. The engine is bored to 22r spec and still has the 20r head. CA emissions legal headers and Weber. Offroad (low rpm torque) cam. K&N. 3" soft ride lift, traction bars, 33" tires, 5.11 gears with Detroit locker in rear and 25% posi in front. 83 5 speed conversion. Power steering, A/C. Pretty much everything is perfect. Flawless Lexus metallic metal repaint. I am not sure SR5 actually existed in 1980. My books all say "Hilux" which I believe became SR5 in 81. Mine is bench seat with the extra instruments and no center console. I promise, that is how it came! It has been driven to most states west of Mississippi, and wheeled who knows where over the years. And you could not get it for 10k or even 20k ... maybe not rational, but my wife told me she wants to be buried in it, so ... guess we gotta keep it.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by calebintn
a little too nice for me
15k for a stock old truck or you could buy a buggy on 40s... or a brand new truck. Kinda crazy if ya ask me!
Old 02-19-2013, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by cheric
Attachment 91011

For the record -- THIS is one of the nicest 80 4x4 trucks. It is a short bed. The engine is bored to 22r spec and still has the 20r head. CA emissions legal headers and Weber. Offroad (low rpm torque) cam. K&N. 3" soft ride lift, traction bars, 33" tires, 5.11 gears with Detroit locker in rear and 25% posi in front. 83 5 speed conversion. Power steering, A/C. Pretty much everything is perfect. Flawless Lexus metallic metal repaint. I am not sure SR5 actually existed in 1980. My books all say "Hilux" which I believe became SR5 in 81. Mine is bench seat with the extra instruments and no center console. I promise, that is how it came! It has been driven to most states west of Mississippi, and wheeled who knows where over the years. And you could not get it for 10k or even 20k ... maybe not rational, but my wife told me she wants to be buried in it, so ... guess we gotta keep it.

Frankly, that is a long list, and lots of money into it. Probably cost lots to build...But if I were going to contemplate that much work (and investment), it would be on something with extracab. For that price, I think you should have more legroom and a better seat. Second gen extracab solid axel would be a great place to put that kind of money. If you are going 1st gen standard cab, hard to justify it. If you had found an extracab similarly upgraded, your wife would probably want to be buried in that one too, or instead, I mean

Still, a nice truck... by the way, do you have a picture of the truck closeup, without the landscape. I'd like to see that Lexus paint

Last edited by 83pingpong; 02-19-2013 at 04:41 PM.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:40 AM

We bought it new

So a later model extra cab was not available

The shorter wheelbase is nicer off road. And with the shell there is plenty of storage. My wife made cabinets that open and are carpeted. We can store all we need and sleep on the carpet covered foam, almost comfortable.

The paint does not show in photos. It is white. What happens is as you move around it in brights sun it subtly changes color. The darker colors (like the Toyota sign on the tail and the pin stripes) are more dramatic changing from green to purple to black to whatever. It is actually the clear coat that does the magic. Hint -- the real Lexus paint is very expensive, most good brands of paint have "replacement" paint that is just as good, which ours is.

It would be a lot of money to spend except when you divide by 33 years, then not so bad.

Oh, the gears are 5.29 I believe, mis-wrote that.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by cheric
So a later model extra cab was not available

The shorter wheelbase is nicer off road. And with the shell there is plenty of storage. My wife made cabinets that open and are carpeted. We can store all we need and sleep on the carpet covered foam, almost comfortable.

The paint does not show in photos. It is white. What happens is as you move around it in brights sun it subtly changes color. The darker colors (like the Toyota sign on the tail and the pin stripes) are more dramatic changing from green to purple to black to whatever. It is actually the clear coat that does the magic. Hint -- the real Lexus paint is very expensive, most good brands of paint have "replacement" paint that is just as good, which ours is.

It would be a lot of money to spend except when you divide by 33 years, then not so bad.

Oh, the gears are 5.29 I believe, mis-wrote that.
No wonder it is in such good shape! 33 years? Wow! My '83 has the same cramped cab. Whatever... I live with it, really not that bad. I've owned extra cabs, and man, what a difference in comfort! I think I'll end up spending too much on mine eventually. No, I know it!

I did replace the driver's seat because the original was real bad. It was from a Honda Civic, and fit OK.
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f114...hy-not-263073/
I'd like to get a seat with extra thin back rest and low profile, to get a little farther from the steering wheel and roof (especially on the open road!). I'll keep looking.

I am trying to decide which color to go with when I paint. I like the original grey, but I also like the original tan that Toyota put on so many vehicles back then. There is also a manilla or straw color you see on them (maybe a light yellowish tan) that I really like. None had much gloss, and I kind of like that look. I just ordered black wheels, so I need to keep that in mind.

If you get the truck in better light and close up sometime, take another pic. I have seen that iridescent hue change you are talking about. Really catches your eye, causes a doubletake!

Last edited by 83pingpong; 02-20-2013 at 12:04 PM.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:30 PM

Not cramped for me ...

I am 5'8"" tall and my wife 5'7" tall. And neither of us carries extra weight (we both fit into our high school clothes). So ... not cramped. My brother is 6'2" and he finds it cramped
Old 03-02-2013, 01:52 AM

nice trucks, wish I had the $
Old 03-02-2013, 05:42 PM

Received 273 Likes on 184 Posts
My Trekker has lots of leg room

Old 03-02-2013, 06:51 PM

nice truck!