Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

Shackle Lift?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 06:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shackle Lift?

I was researching on shackles some because i noticed that they could be a pretty cheap way to get lift. but i didnt find many people that used them? I read somewhere that they can mess up some angles and stuff but i was just looking for some opinions...pros and cons stuff. oh yeah and im referring to front and rear shackles to lift
Old 03-15-2007, 06:39 PM
Contributing Member

Location: Houston (home), Atlanta (school), Cincinnati (work)
shackles can give you some decent lift and extra flex but you dont want to go TOO long, otherwise you need to worry about moving mounts, getting longer shocks etc etc. the problem with going longer is that youre allowing one end of the shock to move more (say the rear end) which COULD give you bad pinion angles, but thats a problem rarely heard of around here. i have longer shackles made out of steel stock and theyre fine.
Old 03-15-2007, 06:45 PM

thank you that helps alot...how long is to long tho? im just looking for like 2 inches of lift until i can get enough money to get a better lift, and i figured then i could just add the new lift to the shackle lift
Old 03-16-2007, 03:21 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2" is a reasonable shackle lift, just remember..for every 2" of shackle is 1" of lift..(i think, somebody else chime in and correct me if i'm wrong)
Old 03-16-2007, 03:49 AM

I think that is right, i read it on 4crawler.com but does that mean i can use a 4 inch longer shackle to get the 2 inches of lift? or is that not reasonable and id just be able to get one inch out of a 2 inch longer shackle? thank you for your help and not flaming on me haha
Old 03-16-2007, 03:52 AM

sorry one more questions, ive also read about shackles to put the rear leafs up front? why would you want to do this? thanks
Old 03-16-2007, 05:50 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 87toypu
sorry one more questions, ive also read about shackles to put the rear leafs up front? why would you want to do this? thanks
I'm judging from your name that you have an 87 pickup.

Unless you have a swapped truck, you can't do this.
Old 03-16-2007, 06:47 AM

I personally have a lifted rear shackle on my 88' 4Runner. I used this shackle to fix the "Saggy Butt Sydrome" that most have. I regret doing this because now my springs are flat. The only way to truely fix this is to get new springs or get an add-a-leaf.I recommend getting an add-a-leaf if you have a sagging problem. For lifting you could also use an add-a-leaf as well. They could make the ride stiffer. If I could do it all again I'd have done an add-a- leaf.
Old 03-16-2007, 08:11 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Lots of shackle lift info on my web page:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/Shackles.shtml#FAQ

I've run up to 3.5" longer shackles, that seems to be about the upper limit for length and decent handling. And yes, if a spring is sagging because it is overloaded, a longer shackle can give you some lift, but the spring will still be overloaded and continue to sag.
Old 03-16-2007, 10:43 AM

Putting the shackle up front forces the axle forward when the spring compresses giving you better traction when you are climbing up rocks and steep ledges etc
Old 03-16-2007, 12:05 PM

thank you for all the replies...sorry for not clarifying..i do have a 1987 toyota pickup but i just picked up an 83 that i would like to turn into my trail rig and just keep the other for a DD. IFS is just to expensive to make capable.
Old 03-16-2007, 04:21 PM

This is statement is a little confusing but what I think your talking about is using the rear spring in combination with other leafs up front. This will not be a simple bolt on lift. It moves your axle and requires cross over steering among other fab work. Judging by you post so far this probably is not the right option for you at the moment. 4crawler has a great write up about the rears up front if you want to know more. Here is another link too. http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=265669

As far as longer shackles go? be careful just installing loner shackles in the front. The front axle will be rotated and mess with your caster angle. Getting 2? of lift with a shackle in the rear shouldn?t be too much of a problem. You will probably need longer shocks, it just depend on how much extra travel your current shocks have.

Shackles are relatively cheap, try them out. See how they work and if you like them. If they cause too many issues for you just drill the shackle plates for a shorter shackle.
Old 03-17-2007, 07:46 PM

Longer spring in theory = more flex...sorta.

also, it makes it easier to buy spares, it looks bling, which is enough for most...

Putting rear springs up front is probably a little above your altitude and air speed right now. Just stick to enjoying your truck while it is still close to stock. There is plenty of time to slide down the never ending vortex of modification and poverty...enjoy your truck while you can still drive it on the road...

Jon
Old 03-18-2007, 04:45 AM

thanks for all the info, im not planning on doing anything to my truck quite yet because i rushed into getting 33x12.50's for my IFS truck and later learned a 33x10.50 would have been a much better choice after i also purchased fender flares. So with the new 83 i picked up i am defanitly going to take my time and right now im just gathering all of the information i can
Old 03-18-2007, 05:15 AM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by jriebe
Longer spring in theory = more flex...sorta.

also, it makes it easier to buy spares, it looks bling, which is enough for most...

Putting rear springs up front is probably a little above your altitude and air speed right now. Just stick to enjoying your truck while it is still close to stock. There is plenty of time to slide down the never ending vortex of modification and poverty...enjoy your truck while you can still drive it on the road...

Jon
"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is."

Old 03-18-2007, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is."

Somebody drank the "special juice" on St. Patrick's Day...lol

Jon
Old 03-18-2007, 07:32 AM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by jriebe
Somebody drank the "special juice" on St. Patrick's Day...lol

Jon
I am a "practicing" fabrication engineer so I know that all that "theory" they teach you in school (which I had to learn) isn't what it is all cracked up to be.

Nope, no special juice for me.