Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

rebuild question....

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 10:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rebuild question....

My advice thread wasn't getting much action here lately so I thought I would post a quick question to a new thread in the hopes that I would get a quick answer.

Ok I have my block just about stripped down and ready to go get cleaned. My question is I have found so far 3 allen headed bolts in the block. 1 at the front of the block, one at the rear of the block and one inside the block. do these need to be removed before I send to the machinist? They are really tight I believe the size is 5/16" but thats probably not right because they should be metric right? Anyway am I supposed to remove these?

Also can I leave the dipstick in?

Thanks
Chris Stokes
Old 03-23-2010, 10:54 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
yes remove them they are the oil galley plugs. I would highly recommend buying new ones from LCE (make sure you get the right sizes the lce website I believe tells you what you need or just give them a call). IMHO they are the best because they come prefitted with sealant. no need to figure out what you will need to seal them. I would also take the dipstick out. You don't want the machinist to damage that as it may be hard to find. I can't remember what size the allen head was. but a good set of ratchet allen keys and a breaker bar will get them out. If your taking out the crank to give them too which you should be there are galley plugs in that as well. Also the cyl head has galley plugs. I believe LCE has all those too. They should all come out when giving them to the machine shop so they can properly clean the oil galley when they dip your parts. 24 minutes for a reply I hope that's fast enough for ya.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:10 AM
Contributing Member

Posting a new thread because your old one wasn't getting very many replies is the wrong way to go about it.

Just keep "bumping" your thread - if you're not getting hits then try and search harder on here and Google.

Fink
Old 03-23-2010, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by 4x4Fink
Posting a new thread because your old one wasn't getting very many replies is the wrong way to go about it.

Just keep "bumping" your thread - if you're not getting hits then try and search harder on here and Google.

Fink

well my original thread is a "should I buy this thread" so theoretically if I start a new thread to ask my question about getting the block prepped for the vat then it might help others find it by searching. Just a thought.....
Old 03-23-2010, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by xxxtreme22r
yes remove them they are the oil galley plugs. I would highly recommend buying new ones from LCE (make sure you get the right sizes the lce website I believe tells you what you need or just give them a call). IMHO they are the best because they come prefitted with sealant. no need to figure out what you will need to seal them. I would also take the dipstick out. You don't want the machinist to damage that as it may be hard to find. I can't remember what size the allen head was. but a good set of ratchet allen keys and a breaker bar will get them out. If your taking out the crank to give them too which you should be there are galley plugs in that as well. Also the cyl head has galley plugs. I believe LCE has all those too. They should all come out when giving them to the machine shop so they can properly clean the oil galley when they dip your parts. 24 minutes for a reply I hope that's fast enough for ya.

Thanks Xtreme you were a big help.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:57 AM

don't forget to put them all in when assembling. It should be the first thng you do when you get the block and stuff back. I took for granted that my machinist did this when I had them remove them. They forgot to put the front one back in and I toasted a brand new crank and such within 10 minutes of beak in. I missed it twice. Caught it early enough to not do any damage the second time.

Oh there is another small one in the oil pan area in the middle but forget which side its on. But i think you might have mentioned that one.

Last edited by xxxtreme22r; 03-23-2010 at 11:59 AM.
Old 03-23-2010, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by xxxtreme22r
don't forget to put them all in when assembling. It should be the first thng you do when you get the block and stuff back. I took for granted that my machinist did this when I had them remove them. They forgot to put the front one back in and I toasted a brand new crank and such within 10 minutes of beak in. I missed it twice. Caught it early enough to not do any damage the second time.

Oh there is another small one in the oil pan area in the middle but forget which side its on. But i think you might have mentioned that one.
ouch that stinks.

Yeah I got that one.

Now I am trying to get the ones out of the crank that you mentioned. There appears to be four of them I have one out. The other three are just stripping out. Now I dont know what to do. Damn I was hoping to get everything to the shop this afternoon.
Suggestions on the crank galley plugs?
Old 03-23-2010, 12:30 PM

try tapping on them a few times, if that don't work toss the crank in an oven at about 200-250 degrees for a little bit, not too long just enough to heat it up a little. do not use a torch though, you risk possibly warping the journals. Make sure your using metric allen keys.
Old 03-23-2010, 12:59 PM

I tried tapping...no luck. guess I will try the oven.

and yes using metric allen keys.
Old 03-23-2010, 01:07 PM
Contributing Member

Send me a link to your other thread - I looked in your profile by threads started and didn't see a "should I buy this" thread.

Fink
Old 03-23-2010, 01:27 PM

he might be talking about this one fink: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f114...advice-206049/
Old 03-23-2010, 05:16 PM

yes. that's the one.