Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

Purchased an 83, now wonder...

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 08:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Purchased an 83, now wonder...

OK guys i need some help here im kinda loosing hope on my purchase... so about a week ago i bought an 83 pick up 4x4 from this guy on craigs list for 2500 bux, i was looking for a play/work truck and this was a blessing when i came across it so i jumped on it immediately, so i got the truck and i wasn't disappointed until i drove it...

first it seemed fine untile i got on the freeway with it, about half way home i noticed that it didnt have any get up any more, i would give it gas and it would just try to go but it just would speed up at all... second i noticed that something smelled like it was burning so i immediately pulled over to check it out. i found nothing so i sat @ for 20 min and i cranked it back up and it worked just fine, so now im scared that if i try to go 60mph+ im gonna have trouble with this and scared im gonna really mess something up. any ideas what it could be or check out? or what i can add on to it to make it accelerate more or make it faster? im really wanting to use it more on the work side and daily driver than for off roading so any recommendations to make my truck more efficient and faster would greatly be appreciated. :thumbsup:

another thing is i want to fully do a tuneup including lubing up everything in the undercarriage and replacing all the fluids/oils and the A/C blows and the fan comes on but no cold air? the guy said it was an electrical problem of some sort but he didnt know what it was so i have no idea where to start

i also wanted to clean up the engine bay and get rid of whatever isnt necessary or things i can by pass like using breathers instead of keeping all of those cluttery vac hoses etc...

i read that you can add a 20R head to the 22R block for better compression, whicj=h you would get more hp/torque out of your truck, but if in turn i do this does that mean i would have to buy a carb for the 20R head or the 22R????? anybody have any experience with this?!?!

i really like this truck and would love to bring it back to life,it i just want to know if this truck is worth my time and effort so any help would really be appreciated! thanks guys
Attached Thumbnails Purchased an 83, now  wonder...-phpzxrq21am.jpg   Purchased an 83, now  wonder...-phpiprovnam.jpg  
Old 09-08-2011, 08:34 AM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Test drive first. Then buy.

Welcome to Yotatech

:wabbit2:
Old 09-08-2011, 09:17 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Does it have it a weber carb or is it just a stock carb?
Old 09-08-2011, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by ballin2hard4
... i just want to know if this truck is worth my time and effort so any help would really be appreciated! thanks guys

It's a Toyota p/up 4WD, so yes it is woth your time, but are you worth the trucks time?...As in, do you have the patience and the funds?

Sounds like you need to just start going through the truck inside and out. Grab a service manual, start reading and wrenching.

Good Luck!
Old 09-08-2011, 09:40 AM

That truck used to belong to a member on here, I saw a posting just a few days ago where he was talking about how he sold it. He even posted a picture of the truck, that's how I put it together.

But yea, I always take any vehicle I'm thinking about buying out on the highway first.

How fast were you able to go on the freeway with it in 5th gear?
Those tires look pretty big and heavy as well, so if you're running stock gears that thing won't have much get up and go anyways.
Old 09-08-2011, 10:31 AM

X2 on that...I put narrow 33's on mine and 5th gear at about 60-65 mph on flat ground is all it will do...and if a hill comes or someone farts in the car in front of me, i lose power. I did put a 261C crawler cam in mine and it helped a ton...but gears are def in need to make it a speed demon (of sorts).
Old 09-08-2011, 10:32 AM

btw, its a sick looking truck, and x2 on toyota 4x4 being worth it. absolutely the most fun truck ive ever owned. Keep us updated, you will find all the help you will ever require on here, i guarantee.
Old 09-08-2011, 10:46 AM

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
Something burning could be a lot of things...plastic smell? Oil? Antifreeze? Electrical?

Check out the "de-smogging a 22R" thread for all you need to know about getting rid of vacuum hoses.

Be prepared. Yeah, it's a Toyota, but it's old. It's old technology and it's an old vehicle. It's going to have problems. It may very well require constant attention. My truck is great. I've taken it on some long road trips and DD it. But there is always something wrong with it...I've rebuilt darn near everything on it, thinking at some point, it'll be like a new vehicle. Wrong.

But I wouldn't trade it for anything.

And yes, unless it's geared for those tires, it's going to be pretty slow...but a tuneup (plugs, wires, rotor, disty cap, check timing, air filter, tune carb) could go a long way.
Old 09-08-2011, 10:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yea what gears are in the truck my 83 i had 33's on it and it would pull about 60-70 at best...with 4:10 gears. start with the basics tune up, fluid swap, etc. Get a copy of the FSM online links are posted numerous places on this site alone
Old 09-08-2011, 05:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by pruney81
That truck used to belong to a member on here, I saw a posting just a few days ago where he was talking about how he sold it. He even posted a picture of the truck, that's how I put it together.

But yea, I always take any vehicle I'm thinking about buying out on the highway first.

Those tires look pretty big and heavy as well, so if you're running stock gears that thing won't have much get up and go anyways.

i read that thread also.
its a clean 83....well worth the $2500 to me....even if it didnt run at all.
these old yotas are alot of work as stated....but worth it.

my 82 4x4 4 speed is running 33's on stock gears,i can barely hit 65 mph,feels wimpy in high.
youll have to regear if you want interstate speeds,faster acceleration.
Old 09-09-2011, 05:15 AM

Waskillywabbit I sent my pop to check it out for me and he said it checked out so I gave him the green light to get it I've been stuck on night shift doing a turnaround for 2 months now so I don't get a chance to do much during the day, funcrazy1 as far as I know its all stock besides the 3 in lift and the 33's

Pruney81: I was doing about 60- 65 in 5th

83: it was like a plastic oily smell

1styota4x4: gears are stock as well

So what I can piece together here is getting different gears? What do y'all his recommend? And a new carb? What type? And of course the tube up, also what would be a good cam? And after this turnaround I'll have plenty of money and time to invest in my truck I'll keep y'all guys updated! Thanks for all the help!
Old 09-09-2011, 05:26 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
plastic oily smell-check your rear output seal at the TC/Driveshaft. could be slinging oil onto the cat/exhaust

33's=4.88's
35-37's=5.29's
Weber Carb-32/36 DGEV IMO...
edit: weber carb info; https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f114...l#post51778496

Last edited by dropzone; 09-09-2011 at 05:28 AM.
Old 09-09-2011, 08:16 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by pruney81

Here is the thread to the previous owner of this truck
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f114/gone-away-240990/

Also I would take a really good look at OCD post that should help you out.
Old 09-09-2011, 08:35 AM

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f114...-truck-236885/

And this

Nice to be able to follow some history of the truck!
Old 09-10-2011, 09:32 PM

33's daily driving I would go for 4.56 or 4.88 gears. Get a weber 32-36 carb and a header and you should be good to go...
Old 09-13-2011, 05:28 PM

Nice looking truck. Welcome to YT
Old 09-13-2011, 05:42 PM

yeah my first guess is over sized tires, those little toyota 22rs r the best motor ever but as far as stock goes, keep it under 32s for sure
Old 09-13-2011, 06:40 PM

If you're pushing 33X12.50 Tires with an old 83 22R and stock gears and topping out at 60-65 on the highway in 5th, I'd say that's normal.

You can either live with it, re-gear or get some smaller tires.
Old 09-14-2011, 06:04 AM

thanks doug, and im thinking about switchin to 32's all terrain maybe those will work better but i also wanna get the weber carb and headers i mean what guy would want some extra hp?
Old 09-14-2011, 06:47 AM

how many miles are on it? i did the header on mine with 181k miles and 3 months later boom goes my head gasket. id do an overhaul, get a 300$ rebuild kit and pay to have the block bored and everything polished (if your mechinically inclinded enough)

Quick Reply: Purchased an 83, now wonder...