Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

'83 Pickup questions: steering, exhaust studs, parts source

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 02:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'83 Pickup questions: steering, exhaust studs, parts source

I just bout an '83 4x4 pickup a few months back and I'm new to this site, so sorry if I'm asking some old questions here.

This truck is actually in great condition. It looks great and drives really well. The two things I have to address right away are steering and exhaust studs. When I first brough the truck home it had an obvious exhasut leak. I looked and noticed that one of the exhausr manifold studs was missing. I replaced it recently but last night while on on the freeway another stud actually fell out. And this is after torquing them all down! Is this a common thing with these engines?

Next, the steering on this truck has a bit of slop in it (slow to respond). I already checked the drag link (push-pull rod) and one of the joints pops a little when moved, so I know that's part of it, but I'm wondering if anyone here could give me an idea of other parts I should consider. I'll check the other ball-joints, but do steering boxes wear out often? Could the knuckles be worn and add to the slop?

I should mention that this truck is pretty much bone stock and I plan to keep it pretty much that way, unless there are some obvious upgardes that I should do. I'm not planning on lifting it or going bigger with the tires (31" Big O's). The truck will be used 95% on road, as it's my daily driver, but I have already taken it on some decent trails and done some light rock crawling.

Is there a good source for stock parts, or should I just head over to the dealership?

Thanks!
~Jesse

Here are a couple pics:

Old 11-04-2008, 02:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wow Wish my 83 was as clean as that you could try putting a steering stabiler in it. for the stud, you can go get a heli coil and put it in. shoud not come out after that. I got 2 loose ones on mine, you can try doubleing up the gasket and puting some rtv on it too what I did to solve my leak. get the gaskets from a 79 there the older style with out the heat tin heat shrould. There a bit thicker.
Old 11-04-2008, 02:28 PM

Thanks, yeah I lucked out on this truck. It's only got 116K miles on it, I'm the third owner. It's actually a little too clean. I feel bad getting dirt on it. Haha!

I'll guess I'll invest in a helicoil kit. Where do you buy your gaskets and other parts, from the dealer?
Old 11-04-2008, 02:56 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
There is actually a screw or nut on the side of the steering box that can be tighted a little bit to help some of the slop. On my '81 it turned out to be a worn steering shaft. And yes, steering boxes do wear out...
I will check my FSM and see if I can post up the procedure for tightening the box. Give me a little bit...

Sounds like you are on the right track checking tie rod ends etc. One thing to consider too is to check your wheels bearings etc, my old '84 ate bearings on the right side (big tires)

very nice find on the truck, I would love to have it..
Old 11-04-2008, 03:12 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
here is the steering box stuff from the Service Manual (page 16-5):

also might want to check Power steering fluid level (if equipped)

I think Roger Brown (4crawler) has a steering box rebuild write up on his website in case you need that, cool site to read either way-
http://4crawler.com/4Runner.shtml

Last edited by dropzone; 11-04-2008 at 03:13 PM. Reason: added link to 4crawler's site
Old 11-04-2008, 06:47 PM

Man That Truck is so nice. It is very clean. Is that bed liner on the bed rails? Do you know if that was a factory paint color?
On my 80 my steering was sloppy when I first got it, I replaced the tie rod ends and put a new pro comp steering stabilizer (it has a lot bigger diameter than the stock one).

Also rockauto.com is a pretty good parts source not to expensive and a good selection

Last edited by 1980 4x4; 11-04-2008 at 06:56 PM.
Old 11-04-2008, 10:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
just from the local parts store , It was the sliver kind you will know when you get them They went to the new heat shield kind I got a few of them and if you dont have a perfect surface. Its not gonna seal I did it like 5 times finally got it to seal. just double up the old style gaskets they should be the same bolt pattern, ask them about a 79 20R header gasket and then ask for the 83 and you will see the differance.
Old 11-05-2008, 06:27 AM

Received 273 Likes on 184 Posts
the drag link is also adjustable ..

there is a threaded plug on both ends of the rod . they are secured with a cotter pin . you can remove the cotter pin , and tighten the plug .. this will clean up alot of the slop as well .

Old 11-05-2008, 01:57 PM

Hey guys, thanks for the advice and diagrams! I can't wait for the weekend so that I can dive into this and hopefully get the steering improved.

@ 1980 4x4: Yes, the previous owner had the truck repainted the original color. It's matched pretty well if you compare it to the original pain in the interior of cab. I think it's a great color, you don't see it very often. Most of these trucks I see are blue, white, yellow or tan. Oh, and he had them spray the bed liner over the rails because he used the truck to transport his kayaks which scraped up the rails a lot. Thanks fr reminding me of Rockauto, I used them before fro some hard to find Datsun stuff.

~jesse