Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

22r Loss of Power and Clicking.

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2015, 01:56 PM

Received 39 Likes on 20 Posts
22r Loss of Power and Clicking.

Hi all, new to the forums and new to 4 wheeling in general. I just bought my first car, well truck. Its an 82 pickup with 22r and 4wd. I have already done so much to this truck and it ran pretty reliably. the reason i say ran is because after i changed the radiator the motor makes a clicking or ticking noise that seems to increase with rpms and get louder too. the water pump also started leaking a lot of oil out of the top of it where it seals to the timing chain cover. I have read everything i can and everyone says its stuck springs or valve gap. the springs are fine but i haven't checked the gap yet. I don't get though how the gap would magically get way off when the motor was running fine before. i just recently drove it and coming back from a friends house and the ticking got way worse and has barely any power. almost sounds like it running on one or two cylinders. i have set the ignition timing to what it said in the service manual and it has brand new sparks plugs. the truck is also completely stock. any ideas?
Old 07-11-2015, 07:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lifters are solid, and I have had the adjustment screws back out, causing clicking in top end. what springs have you checked? springs on lifter rails? If you checked springs inside your valve cover, why not check valve gap?

If you have oil coming out your water pump something is seriously wrong. There are no oil passages in your water pump, if water pump was leaking anything it would be water, unless chain ate completely through timing cover behind water pump. and your oil would look like milk shake. I believe 82 has double chain and metal guides, so that shouldn't be happening.

if oil is all over the top of your water pump it is either coming from the half moon gasket under valve cover or oil leaking in-between head and timing cover. or from valve cover gasket itself.

The truck is 34 years old, and has probably been living the last 20 years quite timidly compared to now. get a FSM and learn what it takes to get it going, you have a great motor, and truck to learn on.

M