Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

22r block 20r head, having starting issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 03:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22r block 20r head, having starting issues

I have a 22r block with a 20r head and its not wanting to start. I have checked every thing and I have just run out of ideas. Does anyone know the cause? All it does is turn over and that's all doesn't even wanna try. It's got spark, the plugs an wires are new, its getting gas, distributor is not wet and is fairly new, battery is new. I just don't know what it could be.
Old 12-22-2011, 03:10 PM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
Timing. Either ignition or timing chain off. What have you done to confirm it's getting fuel and spark?
Old 12-22-2011, 03:24 PM

I had checked the timing it was all set right. An to check the fuel I just pulled off the fuel line and cranked it over and it was squirting good.
Old 12-22-2011, 04:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had my timing 180 degrees off(or would it be 360 degrees) when I tried to start up my rebuilt motor and it would do the same thing, crank over fine but never fire. Basically the distributor was firing the plugs the exact opposite of how it should. I'm not sure how to explain it because it has been over a year ago but I'll try... someone can add more I'm sure.

The crank pulley can be set at 0 and the #1 piston will be all the way at the top or if you rotate the crank another turn to 0 the #2 piston will be all the way at the top. You need to insert the distributor so that it is pointing at the #1 plug wire on the cap while the crank is at 0 and the #1 piston is at the top. Hope that make sense?

Last edited by scheefdog; 12-22-2011 at 04:58 PM.
Old 12-23-2011, 10:39 AM

whats the story with the truck? has it started before or did you get it like that? i would think clogged jets maybe if its been sitting and the carb is anything but clean. Scheefdog is probably right though. i would play with your ignition timing, put the motor in TDC(top dead center) so the #1 piston is at top and make sure the rotor in your distributor is pointing at the #1 point in your cap. therefore making it fire when the piston is in its compression stroke. that being said its VERY easy to get it 180 off, like stated above, so first thing to do after you get the distributor to be on the right point, is to make it point at the oposite point just incase it is 180 out. if that doesnt work, put it back to where it was(at the #1 point again) and move on to the next possible problem. maybe your getting a low spark. test a spark plug against your motor block or head(any ground) while a friend cranks the motor and see what color spark your getting. you want a nice bright white/blue spark. anything less and your not getting enough spark.

back to the carb though. take the top of the carb off and see if theres fuel in the float bowl. if theres not than theres something up with the carb or fuel intake. another thing you might try is spraying some starting fluid into the carb and see if it starts up. if it does you know your have a fuel issue either in the carb or the pressure or somewhere else.

good luck!
Old 12-23-2011, 11:44 AM

well i got it bone stock and i did alotof stuff to it and it ran like a dream but i had parked it 2 weeks ago due to a possible rod knock, but i checked my ignition timing and it was 180 off. i set it all back to like you guys said to and then hooked up the battery charger and cranked it over and this time it wanted to start but didnt. so i then had my dad come help me (who is a mechanic) and he checked out my carb and it was clean as can be for it being brand new and only ran for a week, but he sprayed some starting fluid down in there and she fired right up and idled good BUT i had found out that i lost a crank so now im gonna take out that motor and replace it with a new one.