Tool Time Discussions here pertain to the use of tools you use while fabbing and wrenching in the garage
View Poll Results: Your top three favorite hand tool manufacturers
Allen
2.94%
AMPRO
0.49%
Black and Decker
6.86%
Cornwall
3.92%
Craftsman
77.94%
Durachrome
0.49%
HF (high impact)
1.96%
Husky
16.18%
John Deere
0.98%
Klein
11.76%
I.H.
0.49%
John Deere
1.96%
Kobalt
10.78%
Mac
18.63%
Proto
3.92%
SK tools
11.76%
Snap on
54.41%
Stanley
16.67%
Vice Grip
21.08%
Other
18.63%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 204. You may not vote on this poll

Your top three favorite handtools

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 03:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I noticed that I didn't see Metrinch up there.

Before anyone declares junk, it being on infomercials has ruined their attraction for serious mechanics imo. My dad has owned Metrinch sockets and tools for about 6 years now. Had one problem with one of their extensions, thats about it. When I use to live their at my parents I used his tools all the time when I needed to do something. At the time I didn't know the difference in Metric and SAE. I just thought one socket was for one kind of bolt/nut. So I used his tools ignorantly until I got out, and started buying my own and realized I was wasting my money and tool box space. Having sockets that fit both metric and standard bolts is very very convenient. As for the quality? They are very high quality. Only problem is my dad's old set rusted (good reason why). They rusted only because he left them outside often after working on the cars and he didn't have a garage but a carport. So occasionally he forgot about them and they got rained on. I have his old set now, and the sockets and wrenches are still 100% functional. Look ugly, but functional. The ratchet out of that set looks and feels really sturdy. Never had a problem with it what so ever. The only thing that sucks about owning Metrinch tools is that you have to send them off and pay for shipping both ways (stupid, but can be tolerated I guess). I hate the fact that Metrinch decided to pull their products from sears and go private. That is the dumbest thing a tool company can do. Stop selling their tools at the biggest known tool store around that is in every small town and city. I think that is why they are not getting much business and their prices are getting jacked way up. Sears was earning them a reputation but they screwed up. So I'm getting my hands on all their sockets before they go out of business. Anyhow the best feature about the Metrinch tools is that they are designed to grab the flats of a nut/bolt making it virtually impossible to strip a nut/bolt. I sure never have myself. One thing in functionality though, some people don't like how the sockets fit on a nut/bolt. They feel like it's a socket that isn't the right size, but that is something you would have to get used to. It doesn't really ever bother me that it does that, because I never stripped anything with them sockets.

For instance, I was working on my 92 Ford Taurus. Trying to take the exhaust bolts off the studs that come off the manifold. I was trying to use some stanley deep well sockets to get them rusty F*****s off. Well the nuts just wanted to round off, and they did. So my dad handed me a metrinch socket and said, "Here, try this". So I did, and yes, it took that sob right off without a problem. Except! The damn stud broke . So the socket was able to grip the nut so tight and effectively the stud broke before rounding off and already rounded off nut. Then afterwards I ended up using most of his sockets to take the rest of the nuts and bolts that I needed to take off.

Month later I got myself a $2,000 loan to build up my credit, because I had no credit. Found myself burning my money on Metrinch tools, and they are worth every penny! I only and will only use Metrinch sockets.

As for my other choices of tools.

I love stanley ratchets, I have four of them.

http://www.stanleytools.com/default....otator+Ratchet
http://www.stanleytools.com/default....153%3B+Ratchet
http://www.stanleytools.com/default....153%3B+Ratchet
Stanley's 3/8"dr extendable handle ratchet+indexable head (can't find on web)

Stanley FatMax Screwdrivers. (excellent quality)
Stanley Plyers (excellent quality)
Stanley Hex and Star Key bits (Tend To get a little rust, but still good)
Stanley Ratcheting Wrenches (excellent quality)
Stanley Ratcheting Bit Screwdriver (excellent quality)
Cornwell 3/8" black ratchet (excellent quality)
Pittsbergh Pry Bars and Gear Pullers (good)
Pittsbergh tap and dye set (good)
Pittsbergh Harmonic balancer puller (really good)
Pittsbergh snap ring plyers (no problems using)
Pittsbergh Drive adapter set (works good)
Pittsbergh Crows Feet Wrenches (function good)
Craftsman 3/8" Ratchet (back up)
Craftsman 1/4" Ratchet (don't use much)

All of these tools have done me good, haven't had any problems with them.