Product Reviews Post your reviews on automotive and expedition-camping gear here

Quick TRD Cat Back review...

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2005, 09:48 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quick TRD Cat Back review...

I recently order a TRD cat-back for my truck. I figured I'd write a quick review.

Installion:

First off the installation was very straight forward. I read through the directions and found nothing that I wasnt expecting except I had to reverse the exhaust mount in the back for the tail pipe.

Since my truck is fairly new the exhaust came apart fairly simple, well I didnt need power tool anyway. Find MM tools is a pain in the butt since most of my tools are standard and the directions didnt tell me exactly what size tools I needed before I started so I just wung it.

The only problem I had with the install is the tail pipe is not bent perfectly and hook the tail up to the muffler was a real pita. I probably have 200 ft/lbs of torque on the rear connection cold and hot and its still doesnt look like how I'd want it.

At the rear hanger the hook sits a little to far forward. I'm kinda curious to go over some bumps and see if I here anything rubbing. Normal/spirited street driving I dont rear anything out of the ordinary.

Sound :

A little louder then I would have liked, but it sounds pretty good.

Like I said before that rear connection doesnt look as tight as I want it but flooring it and downshifting doesnt revile any poppy ness that I would think would show a leak. Although at extreme high rpm downshift I get a pop or two but it sounds like any aftermarket exhaust with higher flow. Since I have an automatic I have to purposely do this and in real world I'll never hear a pop.

The tone is fairly deep. When you get on it, its pitch will raise but still stays deep enough not to turn into an embarrassing Honda exhaust.

Since its a 3.4 I wasnt expecting a mustang sound so I say the tone is pretty good.

Power:

Butt dyno shows no gains. A rear dyno might but I dont really feel anything. May once I drive it some more I'll notice it.

Looks:

It looks really really nice. Comes out with a larger then stock tip that has the engraving TRD rear big on the top. It also comes out at an angle for a more sporty look. Its all has a mirror finish polish on it so that really catches the eye.

Conclusion:

I'd recommend it if you trying to keep a TRD theme like I am. I've yet to be really impressed with TRD quality so I dunno why I'm keeping the theme. It will give your truck a real nice look and a pretty good sound. If your looking for power I'm sure its as good as any cat-back.

Install tips:

Its nice to be able to do the install yourself which is one reason I went with a DIY cat-back instead of going to a shop. Just make sure you have 2 - 9/16 open end wrenchs and a 12mm socket with extension. If your truck is a little older you'll want some pentitrating oil and a breaker bar, or an impact wrench. You may want to look into puting it completely together before installing it onto the truck so you know there wont be any leaks. If your doing the install by yourself and follow the directions its good to have some high temp sealant so you can hold the gasket in place while you fight to get the tailpipe in place. Your also gonna need some silicone spray lube to get the old exhaust off the hangers. I tried pulling them off and was have a hell of a time, I sprayed a little silicone spray on them and they flew right off.

Thought you guys might be interested in that little review....and maybe future people who are looking into a TRD Cat-Back will find this in a search.

-Ryan

Last edited by CynicX; 05-10-2005 at 09:50 AM.
Old 05-10-2005, 11:11 AM
Contributing Member

Brand whore
Old 05-10-2005, 12:48 PM

Thanks for the write-up, I am planning on getting one soon.
Old 05-10-2005, 01:50 PM
Contributing Member

Couple pics...
Attached Thumbnails Quick TRD Cat Back review...-trdtip.jpg   Quick TRD Cat Back review...-trdtip2.jpg   Quick TRD Cat Back review...-trdtip3.jpg  
Old 05-10-2005, 02:07 PM
Contributing Member

Brand whore.

Oh wait I already said that.

I'm still jealous but I see a Magnaflow in my future and I'll scratch TRD into the tip.
Old 05-11-2005, 06:02 PM

I too just installed the cat-back on my taco. I'm having the same problem with the rear hanger where it's not perfectly aligned. I can force it in the rubber hanger but the vibration unhooks it after 20 miles. kinda pisses me off.
Old 05-14-2005, 07:02 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by northtorrey
I too just installed the cat-back on my taco. I'm having the same problem with the rear hanger where it's not perfectly aligned. I can force it in the rubber hanger but the vibration unhooks it after 20 miles. kinda pisses me off.
mine is just the opposite. It rattles at idle because its pushed to far on. I need to bend the bracket to make it stop. You do have the bracket rotated so its upside down from stock right?
Old 05-14-2005, 08:09 AM

So, how do you like the sound of the new cat??? When I had my TRD cat back installed the rear hanger was a problem also, had the installer remove it and re-install the hanger in a slightly different postion (about an inch higher & about an inch more to the rear) and I didn't like the way the tailpipe stuck out, kinda like yours Cynicx so while he was there I had him bend the tail piece a bit so tha it is pionting out the side instead of out towards the back......plus my tail piece isn't round it is more of the older style it is oval shaped....but I think it looks kwel......I'm happy with it......

nice pics

Last edited by jc1kz; 05-14-2005 at 08:11 AM.
Old 05-14-2005, 08:50 AM
Contributing Member

I like the angles and how it comes out...looks sporty too me. The sound....ahh its alright...I need to have one of my friends drive it so I can hear it from outisde of the rig. Inside it sounds a little ricey at high rpm, my WRX's Perrin Turbo Back as alot deeper and raspier...of course it was about a thousand bucks more expensive....all in all I like it though, I just need to modify that hanger when I stop being lazy....
Old 05-15-2005, 10:26 AM

mine is just the opposite. It rattles at idle because its pushed to far on. I need to bend the bracket to make it stop. You do have the bracket rotated so its upside down from stock right?
No, I didn't have to do that. I would be suprised to see what yours looks like. Here's what mine looks like when it doesn't disconnect itself.

http://www-rohan.sdsu.edu/~christop/exhaust.jpg

http://www-rohan.sdsu.edu/~christop/closeup.jpg
Old 05-15-2005, 12:55 PM
Contributing Member

No, I didn't have to do that. I would be suprised to see what yours looks like. Here's what mine looks like when it doesn't disconnect itself.

http://www-rohan.sdsu.edu/~christop/exhaust.jpg

http://www-rohan.sdsu.edu/~christop/closeup.jpg

well i could have bent it down...but the TRD direction told me to reverse the hangar....

they do this so the hanger doesnt hit the rear spring if alot of flex....

here is a pic of the directions and a pic of my truck....

in the pic you can see how far away the spring is from the exhaust hanger....once i bent the trucks hanger open it doesnt get close to touching or rattling anymore...so i'm happy....
Attached Thumbnails Quick TRD Cat Back review...-dsc_0052.jpg   Quick TRD Cat Back review...-dsc_0053.jpg  

Last edited by CynicX; 05-15-2005 at 12:57 PM.
Old 05-16-2005, 05:44 AM

I see what you're talking about now... I'm gonna try that. Should keep the thing from loosening itself free.
Old 05-17-2005, 01:14 PM
Contributing Member

I see what you're talking about now... I'm gonna try that. Should keep the thing from loosening itself free.

oh yeah, there is no way that thing can come off....unfortunately it was difficult to put on that way....
Old 11-16-2009, 07:15 PM

Any info on who manufactures the TRD cat-back. I'm interested in what type of noise cancellation it uses Ex. louvered and baffled, chambered, absorption. I'm looking to put some type of cat-back on. I'm not much of a fan of strait through design. A lazy s design might be alright, too many times performance bolt-ons just make Hp at high rpms and useless to my driving. TRD exhaust is tuned for mid-range power, it might be what i get.
not really sure...