Trip-Trail Reports & Photos Share trail reports and your digitized photos here

Went Mudding with a buddy

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2006, 07:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Went Mudding with a buddy

I went mudding, 2002 Toyota Tacoma PRERUNNER, in some 4x4 territory............ completly stock.. with a friend who drives a stock, CHevy Z71 ........... i made it through everything, except 2 things.........

first off, i would like to post that one, that was the end of our mudding trip! its beautiful isnt it!!

this is the second time i got stuck..... it was a mud hole about 50 yds long, it was pretty big, and my friend said im gonna go through it you take the other route ( next to it the easy way) i watched him go, it wasnt to deep, so i was like aight, so i went, and i almost made it, i was goin, then O NOOOOOO, got stuck, just stopped moving, well, heres more pics from it

its deeper then it looks, it was up to my side steps over them. ( i was rocking it, i would put it in reverse, then put it in drive and i would catch traction and then go farther: im a newb aight first time, i figured thats how i get my fourwheeler unstuck so why not!)

in this pic my hand got in the way........ and i was taking pics with my razor......

Few Questions, Where do i get a good REAR LSD like i dunno, a good one....... or what do i need to be able to conquer more? like when i was stuck i noticed that one tire would not move while the other would spin..... what do i need? to get the power sorda equally divided...... like if one is spinning more power would go to the other? okay thanks guys......
Old 01-04-2006, 07:55 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you need a rear locker.
Old 01-04-2006, 08:10 PM
Contributing Member

or what do i need to be able to conquer more?
4WD would be a good place to start
Old 01-04-2006, 08:38 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by UKMyers
4WD would be a good place to start
didnt even notice it was 2wd!

important things for you to tackle the mud in 2wd, bit more ground clearance so you dont get high-centered, with that, get some larger tires with a mud tread, and a rear locker.
also, momentum is going to be your friend. don't go balls-to-the-walls into it, but your gonna need to hit it with some speed to help carry you thru it. Try not to stop, and if you end up stoping, thats it. if you had 4wd, you could start sawing your tires back and forth trying to get some bite on the tires, but with 2wd, your done. you can try reversing, then try and plow thru in forward a bit more till you make it or you give up!
Old 01-04-2006, 09:13 PM

If you want to get into 4wheeling... Start with a 4wd. You'll be disappointed in the long run otherwise.
Old 01-04-2006, 10:08 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by montypower
If you want to get into 4wheeling... Start with a 4wd. You'll be disappointed in the long run otherwise.
Take it from someone who did this, i got lucky and scored my current 4runner after my old 2WD got wrecked.. its alot more fun
Old 01-05-2006, 04:18 AM

yeah, my gf has a dad who has a 1980's Tacoma 4wd i might start taking that out, and eventually buy it from him , but suprisingly my 2wd did good, i was very happy, to see what i could do, ha, my mom came into my room this morning asking what happend to my truck, i said, well i was driving and their was a bigggg mudd puddle i mean it just came out of no where, and i had to go through it, again, and again, and again...... ha it was funny but, i might grab up a locker, and take my g.fs dads truck out :-D
Old 01-05-2006, 04:35 PM

A Pre Runner is a geat project truck... there's no IFS 4wd ÅÅÅÅ to remove... just find an axle and swap it in and you're set to jet... But yeah in teh mean time, some Boggers and a locker would get yoou through anything you'd be likeley to see... I'm just guessing, but is that Oregon or Washington... Sure looks like good old NW poerline trails to me
Old 01-06-2006, 02:04 PM

its in Bama..... Powerline trails....... you guys keep telling me 4wd 4wd......... i know i know....... 4wd will help me get through alot more, and its a great place to start out when mudding, but my parents( yeah im a youngin) are already paying 1400 for insurance every 6 months, we are paying alot we have 3 kids, and their insurance its expensive, so thats the reason i got a prerunner......... no worries, im gonna try and find an old 80's Pickup........ or a jeep wrangler.......
Old 01-06-2006, 02:14 PM

The only problem I see, is that his truck is too clean...lol
Old 01-07-2006, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by bamboo89
yeah, my gf has a dad who has a 1980's Tacoma 4wd i might start taking that out, and eventually buy it from him , but suprisingly my 2wd did good, i was very happy, to see what i could do, ha, my mom came into my room this morning asking what happend to my truck, i said, well i was driving and their was a bigggg mudd puddle i mean it just came out of no where, and i had to go through it, again, and again, and again...... ha it was funny but, i might grab up a locker, and take my g.fs dads truck out :-D

Other than being a total run on sentence......

You need to learn more about Toyota's. Tacoma's didn't appear until 1995.5 and prior to that it was just a Toyota truck. Some were Hilux depending on where you live and what badge Toyota slapped onto it
Old 01-08-2006, 08:31 AM

ouch that hurt, no i call them tacomas cause they look like them to me i dunno, and mudmonkey it wasnt to clean afterwards :-D it was perfect, mud everywhere looked sorda like urs
Old 01-08-2006, 03:23 PM

i THink there just called pickups before 1995
Old 01-08-2006, 04:20 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I disagree with a lot of people on here. Not all wheeling is rock crawling with 1 tire in the air all the time. 2WD with a locker can go A LOT of places 4WD can go, and for a helluva lot less money. Be aware that with a 2WD you will have to use a lot more momentum. The next purchase after the locker should be some really good skid plates. Worst case, you will learn a lot about driving off road, and have the skills to really take advantage of 4WD when you get it.

Note that in mud, rocking the truck is not a real good idea. You tend to push up a hill of mud that is more difficult to get over. Back up a fair amount, then take another run at it with some momentum.

You should also play around with different tire pressures. You will definitely want to air down the rears quite a bit, but may be better off with the fronts at normal pressure. Get some tube sand for more weight in the back too.
Old 01-08-2006, 08:48 PM

yeah, i understand what your talking about ^..... today we took out the pickup, me and the same guy, we went on the same trail last time too, and this time he got stuck, it was a sorda a hill, into a hole on eith side so if you dont have a lifted truck your gonna hit it with your chassis and then sorda bounce forward on the front tires or just sit there.. He went over it in 2wd in his Chevy Z71 and he didnt quite make it, he put it in 4wd and he just got him self deeper, so we hooked up the pick up with the tow rope and we were gonna pull him out...........no go..... the pickup just couldnt pull him out.... here are some pics with some info below them..............

the truck i took out, it drove good, rough but good, this is a old truck, the back bumper came a little lose when we tried using the hitch to pull my friend out......

rear tire stuck in the mud, this wasnt like thick mud this was like slimy watery mud

this is the front tire

this is the truck while it was just sitting on the hump, waiting to be pulled out this was the first attempt
heres the pickup with the tow strap on it

this is the second attempt, when the bumper sounded and looked like it was about to just give way and pop off...we got no where with trying to tow it out with this pickup.

another of the pickup
and ahhhhhhhhh, a beautiful ending....

my friend called a guy, and he was driving a little blazer(stock, no lift, no tires) and he backs up to the chevy and he hooks the tow strap to his chassis and to the z71 chassis and he just floored it and poped him right out... this pissed off my friend that he just floored it like that, right when they got him out, a dude came up in a Chevy Z71 with a 3'' lift, and BF Muds on it.......... aw well, in the end i liked mudding with that Pickup, a good truck, the thing i liked about it was it was kinda narrow, not to big, and the front locking hubs, those were some cool things, all though, we could only seem to be able to lock just one of the hubs, and not the other, what would that do, and basically, what do the free locking hubs do? purpose?

i had fun driving the stickshift in the mud, it did really good!
Old 01-08-2006, 09:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by bamboo89
its in Bama..... Powerline trails.......
where in bama?
Old 01-09-2006, 04:27 AM

Lakeshore drive in Bham
Old 01-09-2006, 06:57 AM

The only advice I can offer anyone is...
Don't pull a trailer when you go mudding.

The hole itself isn't bad. But the ledge at the end is not nice. It's about 20" tall.

Old 01-09-2006, 06:47 PM

What a great way to ruin your truck! I hate mud. It is a waste of time, and quarters. Powerwashing sucks after a while. It will ruin you truck quicker than any rocky trail that I have ever been on.
Old 01-09-2006, 07:02 PM

yeah, but its still, a challenge and i will still continue ha.........

Quick Reply: Went Mudding with a buddy