Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

4th Gen. DAC plug...

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2004, 06:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rando
So did anyone ever try the DRL flasher?
I did it and it worked. I added DRL. All I did is replace the factory flasher relay (81980-50030) with the the DRL flasher relay (81980-35020). And the process can be reversed.

Is there any one out there that want to disable their DRL and wants to buy my non-DRL flasher relay?

Here the deal with the DRL's. If the head lights are on the DRL's are off. If you turn the head lights off, then the DRL'S are on. The DRL's will remain on, the will be interrupted if the hazards are on, or the turn signals are on. If you have AUTO LIGHTS, the DRL's will atomaticlly come on off and on as the head lamps turn on and off. (and vice-versa)

*NOTE the DRL's are never on when the the headlamps are on. they only work opposite inverse.

Last edited by Yosmany; 03-30-2004 at 06:38 AM.
Old 03-30-2004, 09:25 AM
Banned

I did it and it worked. I added DRL. All I did is replace the factory flasher relay (81980-50030) with the the DRL flasher relay (81980-35020). And the process can be reversed.
So where exactly is the flasher module and what does it look like? Did someone say that it is behind the fuse panel that is on the lower left driver's side of the dash?
Old 03-30-2004, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by dcampen
So where exactly is the flasher module and what does it look like? Did someone say that it is behind the fuse panel that is on the lower left driver's side of the dash?

The relay it's self had a small clip in it. It slides into a holding clip behind the fuse juction box.

1) remove lower steering panel

2) Remove metal shield behind the lower steering panel.

3) Unplug all the fuses and relay that have wires attached to them as this will allow you to freely move the fuse box.

4) Unscrew the fuse/junctionbox. Only 3 screws.

5) Turn the J/B towards you. There you will see a biege realy about 1.5" wide. That's the non DRL relay. Slide it out, it's tricky.

** The NON-DRL relay is smaller then the DRL relay. You will see the the lighting wires connect to a small wire harness, and that wire harness connects to the NON-DRL relay that is clipped on. you must remove the relay and the small harness.

6) Connect slide the new, bigger (2.5"), Black, DRL relay into the same clip the NON-DRL relay was on. Plug the connector in to the relay without the wire harness adapter. (You don't need it anymore)

7) Reverse for assembly
Attached Thumbnails 4th Gen. DAC plug...-junctionbox.jpg  

Last edited by Yosmany; 03-30-2004 at 11:08 AM.
Old 03-30-2004, 02:55 PM

OK, that explains the 2 different connectors shown in the wiring diagrams. This looks like a no brainer for you then dcampen. I think the mod for adding a switch to disable the DRLs (assuming you have them) should work too. Though you'll need to cut the wire to pin 12 to insert the switch.

Thanks again for sharing your experience Yosmany. BTW, you tried the DRLs but didn't keep them? Were you just 'borrowing' the DRL flasher for testing purposes?
Old 03-30-2004, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by rando
Thanks again for sharing your experience Yosmany. BTW, you tried the DRLs but didn't keep them? Were you just 'borrowing' the DRL flasher for testing purposes?
No, I added the DRL's. I am selling the NON-DRL relay, for those who want to disable the DRL's without the dealership hassle.

It should be just as easy to reverse the process.
Old 04-01-2004, 09:59 PM

Duh, of course. Silly me!
Old 08-23-2004, 02:34 PM

Yahoo! I have DRL.

Originally Posted by Yosmany
The relay it's self had a small clip in it. It slides into a holding clip behind the fuse juction box.

1) remove lower steering panel by removing two 10mm screws at the bottom of the panel on either side of the hood release. Unplug any/all connectors on left side of panel so the panel can rest down on the floor. No need to remove connector on right side of panel.

2) Remove metal shield behind the lower steering panel (two 10mm screws on either side of steering column).

3) Unplug all the fuses and relay that have wires attached to them as this will allow you to freely move the fuse box. (all plugs have "tab releases" on them, so make sure you push the tabs and don't force them).

4) Unscrew the fuse/junctionbox. (one 10mm screw and two 10mm nuts).

5) Turn the J/B towards you. There you will see a beige relay about 1.5" wide. That's the non DRL relay. Use a sharp pointed tool, like an awl, and push it under the relay from the left side to release the tab, then slide it out, it's tricky.

** The NON-DRL relay is smaller then the DRL relay. You will see the the lighting wires connect to a small wire harness, and that wire harness connects to the NON-DRL relay that is clipped on. you must remove the relay and the small harness.

6) Connect slide the new, bigger (2.5"), Black, DRL relay into the wiring harness and then onto the same clip the NON-DRL relay was on. Plug the connector in to the relay without the wire harness adapter. (You don't need it anymore)

7) Reverse for assembly

Thanks Yosmany...this helped a lot! All I had to do was get over my fear of dismantling the truck. I now have DRL, thanks to you (and others who mentioned the flasher p/n).

I made a couple of mods to your instructions above noted in dark orange, based on my own experiences. Someone (you?) might want to clean it up (add flasher p/n) and have a mod sticky it so other n00bs like me won't have to search through a bazillion threads to find the meat.

Thanks again, mate. I owe you a pint.
Old 08-23-2004, 06:08 PM

Your 04 Limited didn't come with DRL? I thought it was standard on all 04's now.
Old 08-23-2004, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by Yosmany
Your 04 Limited didn't come with DRL? I thought it was standard on all 04's now.
Optional on mine.
Old 11-22-2009, 01:33 PM

All,
Thank you for all the information in this thread and on this site. I have learned alot and I managed to do many of these mods easily with the knowledge that I gleaned from this site. I moded my SR5 and now I have Daytime running lights AND I have my automatic lights. I have done several mods and this site has been key. Keep the information flowing guys and THANK YOU!!
Old 03-23-2012, 01:54 PM

DRL for 1st Gen 4Runner?

I've looked around the forums and can't seem to find anything on Daytime Running Lights for 1st generation 4Runners.

I've got an '87, actually I'm picking it up tomorrow, and would like to modify it for DRLs. Is it the same procedure as the one posted above?

Will I need to try to locate a Canadian module? I don't recall seeing DRLs anywhere in the US in the 80s but do seem to recall them in Canada.

Thanks for the help.

Aaron

Last edited by User 121523; 03-23-2012 at 01:56 PM.
Old 01-01-2013, 03:31 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Daytime Running Lights (DRL) for 1st Gen 4Runner

Hi guys,
I'm planning a headlight harness upgrade for my 86 4Runner that would send power directly from battery through relays near battery to headlights, instead of having to run back to dash, through dimmer switch combo (stalk), anad back to headlights. This is a fairly common mod, except that this time I will in corporate a daytime running light (DRL) feature

I have read in some web posts that some daytime running lights simply use the high beams but at a lower power, quite possibly by putting a series resistor in the circuit. IF this is true with your vehicle:
  • Would you know how much lower is the power sent to the high beams in DRL mode?
  • Would you know what resistor is placed in series with each bulb to lower power?
  • Would someone please share schematic of DRL using highbeams?
TIA,
RAD

Originally Posted by TribalSlamDance
I've looked around the forums and can't seem to find anything on Daytime Running Lights for 1st generation 4Runners.

I've got an '87, actually I'm picking it up tomorrow, and would like to modify it for DRLs. Is it the same procedure as the one posted above?

Will I need to try to locate a Canadian module? I don't recall seeing DRLs anywhere in the US in the 80s but do seem to recall them in Canada.

Thanks for the help.

Aaron