Computer Talk Discussions here pertain to mods, troubleshooting, and PC/console gaming

Who is using iTunes, and the new iPod?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2005, 05:07 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Corey
Shannon, another tip...
If you want the best quality from your CD transfers to the PC, tell iTunes to do it at 320 varible bit rate, not constant bit rate.

I read in the new Maximum PC mag the other day that the VBR is better than the constant bit rate.

I have only done about 3 to 4 CDs so far, but iTunes is simply to easy almost to get the tunes in your library and onto the PC.
Thanks Corey! All this info is going to be invaluable. I have much to learn.
Old 12-14-2005, 05:31 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Ken, Apple has some weird (at least weird to a Windows guy like me) formats.

Apple can rip your CDs into MP3s, it did mine.
You need to tell it how you want it ripped in the options area.
M4A and M4P (not to be confufused with the MP4 video iPod format) are near the same thing, Apples way of an MP3.

The M4P is the ones from the iTunes store that have the Digital Rights Management encoded into them, and you can not rename the extension like you can some files.

Apple does this so you can not put the files onto another PC and play them back with any other software except for iTunes or the iPod.
Hence my post in this thread here.
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...7&postcount=31

That will let you strip out the nasty DRM stuff and convert the Apple file back into an MP3 so you can play it with any software or hardware player.

The MP4 format is Apples format for video for the new iPod video unit, and it a cross between an AVI and MPEG.
I explain here how to convert over existing vids on your computer to the MP4 format to watch them on your iPod.
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f98/creating-ipod-videos-new-ipod-73112/

Also that Videora software will do this too, as well as the new QuickTime Pro software.
Videora and QT Pro will not convert VOB files from a DVD though, you have to first rename the extension to MPG or MPEG.
Yep, simply renaming the extension will work, then you can use any of the 3 apps to make the iPod video.
Old 12-14-2005, 05:37 PM
Contributing Member

I think I will try that Tunebite software, good find Corey!

Did you register for $18? Worth it you think?

Thanks again!

By the way, I'm on my way to go get the Sony earbuds...I'll post up with results when I get back!

Fink
Old 12-14-2005, 05:45 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Have not paid the $18 yet, but I think it is worth it if you want to be able to play the iTunes music files YOU PAID FOR on another type of player or in Windows Media Player, or WinAmp.

Yeah, looking forward to how you like the earbuds.
I read they may take a day or two to break 'em in, so they should get better with age.
Kind of like a Magnaflow
Old 12-14-2005, 07:00 PM

.m4a is AAC. AAC is an open format, anyone can support it in their playback software. AAC is not smaller than mp3, it is just a better, more efficient codec than mp3. 128kbps AAC rougly equals a 192kbps mp3 file. A song encoded at 128kbps AAC equals the same file size as one encoded as a 128kbps mp3 file. .m4p is AAC with Apple's FairPlay DRM. Apple had to include this DRM to make the record companies happy, and allow Apple to sell their music at the iTunes Music Store. I believe Apple's implementation of DRM is one of the least restrictive out there.

On a side note, I hope that when you are removing the DRM from the iTMS songs you aren't reencoding them to the 320kbps VBR mp3 files. If you are, it's a total waste of space on your hard drive, and you aren't gaining anything in sound quality.
Old 12-14-2005, 08:25 PM
Contributing Member

I just posted in the other thread about the Sony earbuds.

Love em already! Fit great, extremely comfortable and the cords are not a problem, actually a pretty neat idea...we'll see how they work out when I go to the gym tomorrow morning.

I'll let you know! At least 20 times better than the stock iPod headphones and worth the cash IMO. Very good purchase!

Fink
Old 12-14-2005, 11:14 PM
Contributing Member

i hate apple customer service, but aside from that i sell a very durable product that is easy to install and you can cover the front screen and the back chrome, comes with enough to do two ipods in case you make a mistake or have 2, the material is only 8 mills thick and super strong, can have scratchs in it remover with rubbing alcohol, they go for 12 bucks if anyone is interested.
Old 12-15-2005, 01:33 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Originally Posted by HUTCHSTACO
i hate apple customer service, but aside from that i sell a very durable product that is easy to install and you can cover the front screen and the back chrome, comes with enough to do two ipods in case you make a mistake or have 2, the material is only 8 mills thick and super strong, can have scratchs in it remover with rubbing alcohol, they go for 12 bucks if anyone is interested.
Pics of the covers?

Hutch, Maximum PC has a very good article this month on the encoding of the iTunes files, and that they are indeed only 128 bit rate.
Old 12-15-2005, 08:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Corey and kronicx--thanks for the detailed info; it's all starting to make sense. I suppose there is no reason to worry about whether my music is in AAC, M4P, M4A or MP3 formats as it will likely only be played on my IPOD anyways. I guess the most important thing is to make sure I backup all the raw music files onto my external harddrive and backup I-Tunes so I don't loose all my playlists, individual song volume adjustments, etc. Thanks again!
Old 03-12-2006, 10:38 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
i converted a bunch of my wife's cd's in itunes. the default was set to AAC (m4a). to my dismay, i did not know that you cannot burn AACs to a cd-rom, as it needs to be in mp3 format.

so after about an hour of pulling out my hair trying to find a work around, here is the solution:

Go into iTunes Preferences, and change the importing mode back MP3 mode. it is under the 'advanced' tab

Now select the tracks that you want to change back. hit the right mouse button and then you will see and go to the Advanced menu. There is an item called "convert to MP3", or something like that.

again, by default, itunes is set to convert to AAC.

from what ive read, there will be some degradation in sound quality, but im ok with that because the alternative is buying some 3rd party software or converting all 30 or so of her cd's again
Old 03-12-2006, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by Bob_98SR5
i converted a bunch of my wife's cd's in itunes. the default was set to AAC (m4a). to my dismay, i did not know that you cannot burn AACs to a cd-rom, as it needs to be in mp3 format.
Are you trying to create a regular audio CD or an mp3 CD? If you are creating a standard audio CD, so it can be played in all players, AACs will work. They will be converted into the correct format when you tell iTunes to burn the CD. If you are trying to create an mp3 CD, obviously keeping it in the AAC format will not work.
Old 03-12-2006, 11:48 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kronicx
Are you trying to create a regular audio CD or an mp3 CD? If you are creating a standard audio CD, so it can be played in all players, AACs will work. They will be converted into the correct format when you tell iTunes to burn the CD. If you are trying to create an mp3 CD, obviously keeping it in the AAC format will not work.
Matt,

I was trying to create a mp3 cd that would be able to be played in a mp3-capable car stereo. however when i hit "burn cd", it gave me an error message (itunes). so that is why i converted the aac files over to mp3 files

...was that the right thing to do?

bob
Old 03-13-2006, 10:34 AM

Yeah, since you are wanting to create an mp3 CD, you have to convert it to mp3 first. I just wasn't sure exactly what you were wanting to do. You did the right thing to convert, and you're right, you do lose quality. I doubt you'll be able to hear it though. Just make sure to convert the AACs to at least 160kbps mp3. 128kbps mp3 is crappy, and you will be able to hear a difference.
Old 03-18-2006, 04:09 PM
WT

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New module.... for IPOD users

Well I got a new car last week and wanted to hook up my IPOD to the stock headunit since its a BMW with the HK system in it, I have pics of it in another thread but this little device is awsome it wires in were the stock CD changer in the trunk is or the back of the radio and I can wire the connector cable up to the front or where ever I may want to put the IPOD but for now I decided to leave it in the trunk thats were I plan on leaving the IPOD safe and stealth with full control from the front radio/stearing wheel control. Its really neat toy if anyone is interested in this kinda thing for there IPOd check out the company and radio compatability, so thought I let you all know about it.The best part is it shows the ID3 tag information across the stock radio screen which is cool since I don't have to look at the IPOd it self
http://www.densionusa.com/

Quick Reply: Who is using iTunes, and the new iPod?