Computer Talk Discussions here pertain to mods, troubleshooting, and PC/console gaming

New laptop screen hums...normal?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 09:31 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New laptop screen hums...normal?

My new Dell Inspiron 15" widescreen laptop screen (1680 X 1050 @ 60 Hz) gives off a faint hum at anything below max bright setting on either battery or A/C. The problem is that max bright shortens the 9-cell battery life from 4 hours on a usable brightness setting to 3. I have the bigger 135W auto/air adapter brick I'd rather not lug along.

Yesterday my niece brought her new nearly identically spec'd Dell Inspiron over. It has a 14" screen and doesn't hum under the same conditions.

I emailed Dell and they're ready to send a tech out today to replace the screen, something I'm not happy about having to do on a new unit still within the 21 day return policy.

I searched several boards and found that the hum is present on a random number of laptops like mine and a replacement may or may not cure the problem. Others just live with it. The computer performs normally otherwise.

One workaround is to use the Nvidia control panel to lower screen brightness. No hum then, but colors shift toward blue and look unnaturally cool, important since I use it for photo and video editing.

Should I push Dell for a replacement that may do the same, or is this something I'm overly sensitive to? I'd just as soon keep this one to save the hours of software installing and tweaking done already, but if it's an indicator of a future problem developing, I'll push for a replacement.

Otherwise, are there any other tweaks I'm missing that could help?

TIA...
Old 12-26-2007, 09:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a Gateway....no hum....hah hah!
But seriously I would push for a new laptop all together if its an option.
Old 12-26-2007, 09:50 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by BT17R
My new Dell Inspiron 15" widescreen laptop screen (1680 X 1050 @ 60 Hz) gives off a faint hum at anything below max bright setting on either battery or A/C. The problem is that max bright shortens the 9-cell battery life from 4 hours on a usable brightness setting to 3. I have the bigger 135W auto/air adapter brick I'd rather not lug along.

Yesterday my niece brought her new nearly identically spec'd Dell Inspiron over. It has a 14" screen and doesn't hum under the same conditions.

I emailed Dell and they're ready to send a tech out today to replace the screen, something I'm not happy about having to do on a new unit still within the 21 day return policy.

I searched several boards and found that the hum is present on a random number of laptops like mine and a replacement may or may not cure the problem. Others just live with it. The computer performs normally otherwise.

One workaround is to use the Nvidia control panel to lower screen brightness. No hum then, but colors shift toward blue and look unnaturally cool, important since I use it for photo and video editing.

Should I push Dell for a replacement that may do the same, or is this something I'm overly sensitive to? I'd just as soon keep this one to save the hours of software installing and tweaking done already, but if it's an indicator of a future problem developing, I'll push for a replacement.

Otherwise, are there any other tweaks I'm missing that could help?

TIA...
There are some high voltage componants that run the monitor, usually just under the monitor hinges. On some laptops these componants can develop a very slight or very highpitched hum. By dimming the screen you change the amount of electricity that is running through them and this can also cause a hum or high pitched wine. It's up to you if you are interested in replacement, but i doubt the tech would replace the LCD panel (unless that is there policy) as it is most likely not the part causeing the noise.

It kind of depends on how loud it is. Is it something that you would have a hard time talking over? Or is it something that you can hear only when everything else is quite in the room?

If you still have a warentee than i say get it fixed... if not and it's not too loud i would start listening to music or just don't worry about battery life.
Old 12-26-2007, 09:56 AM
Contributing Member

It's faint, only audible in a quiet room but it's at a pitch that bugs me and full bright is too bright. It's something I could get used to though, not bad but I'm focusing on it since it's within the return period.

The Dell tech just called and has a new screen with him ready to replace. I told him to call back tomorrow so I'll have time to read responses here.

Thanks so far...
Old 12-26-2007, 10:16 AM
Contributing Member

Heck, it's new and they are willing to replace the screen... I say go for it.

Plus you get a new clean screen out of it

If a replacement screen does not fix the hum, it's not your problem. Tell the techs that your laptop hums when the brightness it turned down and if they come and replace a part to fix it and it does not stop, it's up to them to contenue the troubleshooting process to fix it. They should not come replace the monitor and say, "oh well, we tried i guess you will just have to live with it" If it does not work don't let the tech leave without setting up another apointment to fix this thing.

Last edited by linuxrunner; 12-26-2007 at 10:24 AM.
Old 12-26-2007, 10:53 AM
Contributing Member

The thing that would be humming is the inverter for the backlight. That is not part of the screen and will most likely be inside of the laptop case, not in the screen/lid. have them replace your laptop and if that doesnt fix the problem maybe choose a different model.

hope this helps
Old 12-26-2007, 08:50 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don 't think the humming is normal. I have to hit my screen every once in a while because sometimes it turns yellow, and sometimes it fades very dark, but usually a good hit fixes it.
Old 12-27-2007, 09:59 AM
Contributing Member

New screen! new screen! just go and get the new screen! lol
why "get used to" something that is less then perfect?
You parted with a lot of bread for that gizmo man...

off topic I made an amazing soup with a turkey carcass the other day...
Old 12-27-2007, 10:47 AM
Contributing Member

I canceled the service call and asked for a new replacement laptop. They're building it now, should be here in a few days.

Mmm, turkey soup sounds delicious. I'm looking at the huge leftover ham bone (Chihuahuas are smaller) from Christmas and thinking of something similar, either a bean or pea soup.

But, we need pics of the soup kitchen!