Computer Talk Discussions here pertain to mods, troubleshooting, and PC/console gaming

Intel Processor Qs

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2005, 06:28 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intel Processor Qs

I am buying a new lappy and I'm not too familiar with processors and their speeds.

My old laptop = 2.6 GHz P4 - moved nicely, liked the speed

New one Im looking at = Celeron® M Processor 350 (1.30GHz/1MB Cache/400MHz FSB)

I thought that Celerons were Dell's low-end processors? But this is a nice lappy so Im confused. I also dont want this new one to be any slower than my previous one above.

Any ideas or help here?

thanks
Old 02-24-2005, 07:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Celeron is basically the same as the Pentium Chip it just doesn't have as much Cache (Chip level Ram) as the full blowen Pentium.

Your talking the differance of a few K's <<<<< Thats K's as in less than a 1meg

I run a Celeron 1000mhz overclocked to 1.6gig (At times depending on the weather and how hot it is)

The celeron also doesn't run as hot as the Pentium

If your looking into a laptop I would recommend looking into the Intel M Chipset or Intel Centrino.
Old 02-24-2005, 07:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This Google search may help sort things out for you.

The Celeron M is a mobile version of the processor line that draws less power and allows more control over powering down various sub-systems when they're not being used. That adds up to more battery life.

This graph is a bit small, but it looks like the Celeron 1.5Ghz may be about the same horsepower as your old P4 2.6Ghz (unless the P4 is actually a P4M, then the new one has more kick):

(graph sourced from here)
Old 02-24-2005, 08:05 AM
Contributing Member

thanks fellas

Mark, that graph really puts the performance into clear view. I figured that this 1.3GHz may have performance comparable to 1.8 p4 or so. My old P4 is not M series
Old 02-27-2005, 05:13 PM
Contributing Member

Celeron is a nice processor but you definately wont want it in a gaming rig. I have a Celeron 1.5ghz in my Toshiba laptop with 512 meg ram w/ intel extreme graphics....Does great for internet, word processing, spreadsheets, DVD movies...but not that great for games, I can run Simcity 3000 pretty good but I wouldnt ask for much more out of it.....

I'd say if you have a little extra cash go with the Intel M or Centrino....oh and the Celeron isnt that great with battery life like the M and Centrino are....I can probably get about 2-3 hours of DVD play out of it. 4-5 hours if I'm playing online and taking it easy on it....
Old 02-27-2005, 09:09 PM

easiest way to compare a celeron to a p4 (desktops) is to take 30% off the top.. so.. 2.4Ghz Celeron = 1.7Ghz P4... still haven't figured out how a centrino compares to a reg p4.. i've read conflicting stories, some saying its the same as the equivelent speed, others that its almost equivelent to a 1ghz faster processor (i.e. 1.8ghz centrino = a 2.8ghz p4).. i believe that to be false, but thats only my belief

Originally Posted by CynicX
Celeron is a nice processor but you definately wont want it in a gaming rig. I have a Celeron 1.5ghz in my Toshiba laptop with 512 meg ram w/ intel extreme graphics....Does great for internet, word processing, spreadsheets, DVD movies...but not that great for games, I can run Simcity 3000 pretty good but I wouldnt ask for much more out of it.....

I'd say if you have a little extra cash go with the Intel M or Centrino....oh and the Celeron isnt that great with battery life like the M and Centrino are....I can probably get about 2-3 hours of DVD play out of it. 4-5 hours if I'm playing online and taking it easy on it....
main reason besides the celeron for the gaming troubles is the integrated intel graphics.. any computer running integrated is severly limited, you definetely want a stand alone graphics card with its own memory, for desktop or laptop..

as for your battery life, thats pretty good for dvd, 1.5 hours tops for me... 2.66Ghz P4. the dvd-rom motor drains the power fast.

Last edited by green91runner; 02-27-2005 at 09:11 PM.
Old 02-28-2005, 05:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CynicX

Yeah iits not your Processor's slowing down your gaming. Its you CHESSEY onboard video.

My Celery 1000 NOT OVERCLOCKED plays games No Problem. Overclocked it and she SCREAMS.
Old 02-28-2005, 06:19 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 4Hummer
Yeah iits not your Processor's slowing down your gaming. Its you CHESSEY onboard video.

My Celery 1000 NOT OVERCLOCKED plays games No Problem. Overclocked it and she SCREAMS.
I'm sorry I was a little vague....I realize the graphic card is definately a bottleneck....But in my opinion the Celeron at least in my laptop is also a limitation....My fathers laptop with P4 and Intel graphic card can play a lot of FPS like quake 3, unreal (not doom3 of course).....granted having a nice graphic card would be would help but comparing my laptop to his they are practically the same, except he has a gig of ram where I only have 512meg and his performs much better in games.....

I dont remember the clock speed of his processor but its higher then my 1.5ghz....