Computer Talk Discussions here pertain to mods, troubleshooting, and PC/console gaming

How to download Movie Maker 2

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2006, 02:55 PM
Contributing Member

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
How to download Movie Maker 2

I have Windows XP Home which came with Microsoft Movie Maker (in accessories). I'm trying to fix an issue I have with a new DVD camcorder, and my DVD burner. I was told that I can simply go to the Microsoft site and download the update to "2". Either I'm extremely slow today, or something, as I've not been able to find an easy way to do this.

Any hints?

Andreas
Old 01-23-2006, 03:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Microsoft's download url is http://download.microsoft.com

The "fun" about searching for MS downloads is that MS doesn't like adhering to their own rules, so you'll get different hits on "Movie Maker" and "MovieMaker". I love MS. argh.

Anyway, the 2.1 upgrade is here:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/d...viemaker2.mspx

Then, you can pickup some extras here (note the different search term ):
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/r...Lang=en&type=a
Old 01-23-2006, 04:11 PM
Contributing Member

Mark,
I went to where the '2.1' upgrade is but can not figure out how to just grab Movie Maker 2. It asks to do a search for auto updates, etc. but I do not see where one can get just that specific update. My computer is already configured to receive auto updates.

Confusing.

Andreas
Old 01-23-2006, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by aowRS
Mark,
I went to where the '2.1' upgrade is but can not figure out how to just grab Movie Maker 2. It asks to do a search for auto updates, etc. but I do not see where one can get just that specific update. My computer is already configured to receive auto updates.

Confusing.

Andreas
Another "I love MS" moment.

Do you have SP2? And are you running IE? (most of the MS update stuff has to be handled through IE, and won't work with NS or FF).

If you haven't installed SP2 yet, you'll need to start there.

Past that... Hit the Windows Update site (it should be in the menu you get when you hit the Start Button); then after it dances for a while, pick "Customize" then on the left panel, look for Software Updates. See if it's in there.

I can't specifically walk you through it (Chris???!!!) 'cause I uninstalled it to make room.
Old 01-23-2006, 07:53 PM
Contributing Member

Mark,
I use IE. Thank you for the help. I will look into SP 2.

Andreas
Old 01-23-2006, 10:45 PM
Contributing Member

Downloaded SP2. Still can't figure out how to grab Movie Maker 2. It's almost 3 am and this is driving me nuts!!

Andreas
Old 01-23-2006, 11:06 PM

Okay... If you have MM already installed, and SP2 is installed, then it should pop up on the optional software list when you go to the update site.

hmmm... I think that one of my boxes should still have MM installed on it, so hang in there and lemme play a bit. I "know" I've actually done the upgrade before.

double hmmm... One option on the MM2.1 download page is to order up a CD. That may be worthwhile in the long run, but lemme play for a bit.

{insert Microsoft _argh_ here}
Old 01-24-2006, 01:09 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I have always grabbed it via Windows updates with no problem by choosing "software" or something in the update list.
Old 01-24-2006, 05:13 AM

AHHHH-HAH!

Man that was complicated... I really don't understand MS sometimes.

Okay, reading the fine print at the "2.1 download" link I posted above, you'll see that it says:
"Movie Maker 2.1 is available for download with Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2)."
Notice the wording.... "available for download with SP2".

Yeup... sure 'nuff.

You installed SP2, right? Fire up MM like you always have, then check Help | About and I'll bet you see "Movie Maker v2.1.4026.0".

sigh... yeah... it got me too.
Old 01-24-2006, 05:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Weird.

Andreas, make sure you download all the critical updates from the MS update site by using the "Express" button when you get there. I think there may be one or two updates right after SP2 (one is an updated windows installer) that may or may not affect your ability to update MM. Either way, you need those patches anyway so go ahead and get 'em.

Once you do that, go back to the Windows update site, and choose "Custom". It'll say you don't have any critical updates, but if you look over to the left side of the screen, you'll see the optional software and hardware driver updates available. It's going to be in software (obviously). If it's not, are you sure you don't already have the updated version?

EDIT: I see Mark just found the answer. Cool stuff. You really should go ahead and finish off those updates though...

Last edited by Churnd; 01-24-2006 at 05:15 AM.