GPS & Communication Discussions here pertain to the use and troubleshooting of GPS, CB radio, and amateur radio

new cobra CB

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 04:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new cobra CB

i recently got a new cobra 29 wx nw bt in my car and i love it so far!

this radio has about any feature you can think of too that can go on a CB! :jester:

im also using a 4 foot red firestik antenna mounted on my front bumper.

heres some pics from my install: tell me what you think!!!

Old 12-31-2009, 07:50 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Nice looking radio, but i was wondering what made you decide to mount the antenna to the front bumper ?.
Old 01-01-2010, 02:53 AM

i dont have have a mount for the antenna yet.....this was just a temporary place.....i was going to get a custom made mount for the back but i could never get in touch with the guy that was making them.
Old 01-01-2010, 11:15 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I have its twin with out the bluetooth option. The clarity is great too.
Old 01-12-2010, 10:21 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
very nice

I like that signal strength meter- real old school style there.

Appreciate the photos
Old 02-09-2010, 03:02 PM

snwboarder919... any details about how you mounted it? did you use screws? or something less intrusive?

-batsoff
Old 02-09-2010, 03:11 PM
Contributing Member

Moved to GPS & Communication.

Sweet install.

Fink
Old 02-09-2010, 03:46 PM

snwboarder919... any details about how you mounted it? did you use screws? or something less intrusive?

-batsoff
well where i mounted it theres not a screw but like a little plug i guess you could say. from there i just took it out, and put a screw through the hole on the mounting bracket and then through that other existing hole. then i put a nut on the other end so that the screw wouldnt come out and wala, a mounting location! haha

ill try and get some pictures of it soon to help explain it a little more if you would like.
Old 02-10-2010, 06:20 AM

Thanks snwboarder919... pretty sure I follow what you did (pics would be appreciated if you have them).

I love that mounting location, just looking for a solution that allows me to remove the CB quickly (not looking to drill holes through plastic or anything permanent).

Thanks again... nice install.

-batsoff
Old 02-10-2010, 08:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
batsoff you might consider the handheld display units which allow the main body of the radio to tuck underneath your seat for example.

Hold on let me find a link...

http://www.amazon.com/Cobra-75-Hands...5822459&sr=1-4

such as this Cobra unit for ultimate hideability when you are away from the truck-remove the antenna and hide the handheld and no sign of a CB-I considered going that route but I wanted to try a less expensive method first.
Old 02-10-2010, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by snwboarder919
i recently got a new cobra 29 wx nw bt in my car and i love it so far!

this radio has about any feature you can think of too that can go on a CB! :jester:
Unfortunatelly, you're not fully right. From US market perspective - you got it. While from overall Cobra 29 and many others here are way too far behind European radios. Think of electronic display of every feature, color display, dual channel watch, auto noise killer which actually adjust to noise level, not a pre-setting one, channel memory, FM modulation, 600 channels, etc.
But those are not sold here in North America.

So, yes, you got one of the most featured items here, but it's not full of features you can think of.

I too have Cobra 29 and miss my Alan 48 Excell and Maycom HM-27.
Old 05-12-2011, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by snwboarder919
i dont have have a mount for the antenna yet.....this was just a temporary place.....i was going to get a custom made mount for the back but i could never get in touch with the guy that was making them.
Hey Snowboarder919. Nice mount! I'm torn between mounting it the way you did or underneath by my transfer case shifter.

Anyways, how do you find the performance of this radio? Particularly, how do you find the bluetooth option? How close does the mic have to be for the person on the other end to hear you clearly?
Old 05-14-2011, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by shane_neddy
Hey Snowboarder919. Nice mount! I'm torn between mounting it the way you did or underneath by my transfer case shifter.

Anyways, how do you find the performance of this radio? Particularly, how do you find the bluetooth option? How close does the mic have to be for the person on the other end to hear you clearly?
that was the best place i could find to mount it in my rig, i hadent even seen anyone mount it there before. But the radio performs very well! i still need to go get it peaked and tuned but it has made me very happy!

The bluetooth option includes another smaller mic that you can mount anywhere you would like to (it has like a 8 foot cord on it!) With school i havent been able to mount that mic but i was going to mount it right up by the visor and map lights. doing a rough test from there that was the best place to put it performance wise. Oh yeh and depending where you mount your radio you might want to get an external speaker because the person on the other line comes out of the radio speaker.

I thought of a cool way of hooking up my radio to my head unit radio so that way the sound comes out of your actual car stereo! That way you dont have to buy an external speaker

hope that answered your question!
Old 05-14-2011, 01:16 PM

Awesome! Thanks a lot. I think I'm gonna get one of these guys and use a Wilson 4' flex antenna.
Old 05-20-2011, 05:16 AM

Alright, so I've ordered my radio and accessories for mounting and set up. I'll take some pictures during set up and post them up for you guys to take a look at.
Old 06-28-2011, 03:10 PM

Looking good. I am planning on installing one on my car too.