GPS & Communication Discussions here pertain to the use and troubleshooting of GPS, CB radio, and amateur radio

CB Engine Interference issue.

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 09:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CB Engine Interference issue.

Hey guys i dont have a Toyota, i have a 06 Pontiac GTO. But everytime i searched for help on CB Interference you guys kept coming up.. and seemed really helpful. Well anyways the guys at ls2gto.com dont seem to be able to help me so maybe you guys can.

I have a COBRA 19-DXIV radio with a magnetic 2' antenna on my roof. The antenna wire runs though the door and down the passenger a-pillar, then under the glove box to the Cobra by the stick shift on the passenger side.

When i first got it about 7 months ago i had very little interference and only had to have the squelch at about 3/10th with the engine on to stop the static. With the engine off theres no interference. But now with the engine on or the headlights on for the most part, it seems to be a combined effect. my sqelch needs to be at about 7/10th to the max. And i cant seem to reach anyone past a mile. I used to be able to get people 3-7 miles away. Now what i have done is unplugged the antenna with the engine on to see if that stopped the static.. it did tottaly. and then once plugged back in it went back to the bad static.

I noticed you guys said to run a dedicated power and ground for the CB radio.. which i have done.

ground the antenna.. i havnt done and i dont understand how. some elaboration would be appericated.

and a filter.. i dont understand that either.

But my big question is why would the interference be getting progressively worse as time went on?
Old 11-04-2007, 01:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your progressive interference may be the result of one of your electrical components breaking down, ie, your alternator on it's way out, or your coil, distributor rotor or HT leads.

The filters mentioned may be something like ferite rings, which would be fitted over the coax near the radio, I don't know if there are any other type of filters available in the US.