GPS & Communication Discussions here pertain to the use and troubleshooting of GPS, CB radio, and amateur radio

CB antennas

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 02:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Merlin
okay...

the BEST spot? center of your roof, hard mounted

second choice (imho) would be on the bed rail, directly behind the cab, centered on the rail (provided the loading coil is above the cab roof).
Okay, so a 4' antenna, centered on the front bed rail, and then tuned. I can deal with that, and not have a hole in the middle of my roof.

Going shopping on the weekend then.

Thanks for the tips!
Old 12-31-2008, 02:42 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 86tuning
Okay, so a 4' antenna, centered on the front bed rail, and then tuned. I can deal with that, and not have a hole in the middle of my roof.

Going shopping on the weekend then.

Thanks for the tips!

That's where I wanted to go also but I have a camper top that I put on for camping and winter wheeling. Do me a favor and post a write up with pictures when you do the install. I'll do the same when I drill the hole and mount mine on top of the cab.
Old 12-31-2008, 05:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yes definatly ground to frame and bat. 102" is my personal choise, next to a mag. mount on the roof. but i had a problem with theives so thats why i no longer have a k40.....
Old 12-31-2008, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by Junkers88
I'll have to drill a hole but after lots of looking I think it'll be the best place to mount one and I won't have to deal with running a cable outside to a magnetic base.
you might want to make sure you get a good seal around the mount, so you don't get water leakage and/or rust. some people use a little silicone sealant around the base of the mount just to make sure.

Originally Posted by Junkers88
I also ordered a Uniden 520 Pro and will install it as well.
good little radio.
Old 12-31-2008, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by 86tuning
make sure you ground that puppy good. ground bed to frame, cab to frame, etc...

if you have an swr meter, tune the antenna yourself instead of paying somebody to do it for you. if not, buy a cheap swr meter (for the price you'd pay somebody to do it for you anyway) and do it yourself. that way if you need to move your rig to another vehicle, you can tune the antenna again right away.
Old 01-02-2009, 07:16 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Merlin
the one thing that convoys may not like about the 102" whips is that when you go under trees, etc... and you catch the tree, it may "whip" back at the rig behind you.

yeah, you're supposed to keep safe following distances and all, but sometimes stuff happens.
Yes that is true. If you plan on going on any organized wheeling trips, some organizations have limits on CB antenna length for just that reason. For example Cal4Wheel has a 4' antenna length limit on some runs, or if longer that antenna must be tied down.
Old 01-03-2009, 02:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hmm, after quite a bit of surfing, I came across this article:

http://wilsonantenna.com/tspu.htm

And this picture which seems very helpful, as it directly addresses pickup trucks.

Old 01-08-2009, 04:14 PM

Okay, I forgot about this thread. I was reading a few of your posts about the dual antennas.

Anywho, I bought a mirror mount kit with 3' dual antennas and it came with a cable that splits in two right at the back of the cb with a "single" wire running out to each antenna. (I went to radio shack after I bought these and found a set of 4' antennas for $7 a piece, so the 4' is what will be on there) I heard somewhere that the minimum distance apart that they should be is about 4', so I am mounting them on the two far sides of the front bumper, which should be just over 4'.

If it does happen to be the wrong configuration, will it fry my cb? If not as long as it works for trails and the highway I should be fine.

EDIT: Followed the link that someone posted for the wilson antennas and that answered my question. I'll be fine with the same preformance as a single, I just like the look of duals. So "I wanna be cool"...Sweet...

Last edited by hmmwv15; 01-08-2009 at 04:26 PM.
Old 01-13-2009, 08:27 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by hmmwv15
Okay, I forgot about this thread. I was reading a few of your posts about the dual antennas.

Anywho, I bought a mirror mount kit with 3' dual antennas and it came with a cable that splits in two right at the back of the cb with a "single" wire running out to each antenna. (I went to radio shack after I bought these and found a set of 4' antennas for $7 a piece, so the 4' is what will be on there) I heard somewhere that the minimum distance apart that they should be is about 4', so I am mounting them on the two far sides of the front bumper, which should be just over 4'.

If it does happen to be the wrong configuration, will it fry my cb? If not as long as it works for trails and the highway I should be fine.

EDIT: Followed the link that someone posted for the wilson antennas and that answered my question. I'll be fine with the same preformance as a single, I just like the look of duals. So "I wanna be cool"...Sweet...
Did you get them mounted yet? If so I think some pictures are in order.
Old 01-14-2009, 05:31 PM

Hopefully this weekend I'll have tabs welded for lights and the antennas. I should also have some sliders.