Vehicle Audio & Home Entertainment Discussions here pertain to vehicle stereo systems and home entertainment systems

What you like/dislike about your tunes setup

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2003, 10:31 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
What you like/dislike about your tunes setup

I will start off by saying that I designed the whole setup in my rig, and installed it all too, except for the head unit, which was installed by Cartoy's, as the installation was part of the price.
Also when they do the deck install, they "own it" as they like to say, so if anything goes wrong with it, they fix it for free.

1. My head unit is a Sony M650, and will play MP3s that have been converted to WAVs and then burned to disc, but it won't play raw MP3s.
My next deck will.

Still I like the deck as it has 3 sets of pre-amp 4v outputs, and it's nice having the 3rd one dedicated for the sub woofers amp so I can crank up the woofer independently from the front door speakers.

2. Old school Rockford Fosgate amps, not the new roundish looking ones that sell now.
I run two of them.
A 200a4 for the door speakers, and a 500a2 bridged mono for the sub woofer.
Great amps, and not a whole lot of money, they have never let me down.

3. Infinity Reference components, sized at 6.5".
These where in the rig when I got it November of '98, and they still sound good.
One day I may replace them with some Focal Kevlars, but these really do sound good.

4. 15" JL audio W6 sub woofer.
This is a powerhouse of a sub, and it can play very deep, and still sound clean.
If I want a back massage, all I have to do is turn up the volume on the Sony deck for the sub woofer as stated above, and my back gets a workout.
It feels like the seat is moving in it's tracks too.

I guess I really don't have any complaints about my system, other than wanting a newer deck someday for the sole purpose of having hours upon hours of MP3s on one disk.
Right now I can squeeze about 18 MP3s converted onto a 700 mb disk.

Overall I am quite proud of the fact I did most of the work, and it turned out as good as it did.
I don't listen to it cranked all the time, but it's nice knowing I have the "horse power" there if I am in the mood to rock & roll.
Old 07-30-2003, 11:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I like my sound system for the most part. I've got an Aiwa MP3/CD deck and I love it. One CD and 191 songs. I have infinity reference 6 by 9's and 6.5" and it's great. Just need a sub now...
Old 07-31-2003, 05:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I dislike my setup now. The best part of it is my Alpine head that I've had in there for about 9 months. It's an older unit that I bartered for about 7 years ago. The Runner is it's second home. Everything else is stock. I pulled the driverside rear speaker in preparation for a sub box (about 3 years ago) and never put it back. Kiddie tunes sound fine on it with the missing speaker though :pat:
Old 07-31-2003, 06:36 AM

corey, my system is bone stock and compared to the custom installs i've had in other vehicles it stinks, as most stock systems do. although i'll give toyota credit for mounting tweeters, they still could use a boost.

i have a collins 6" powered sub box sitting in my closet that i've been wanting to sell, but now i'm considering installing it in the 4runner. how do you think that would sound with the stock setup? :beaver:
Old 07-31-2003, 06:45 AM
Contributing Member

My website says what system I have.

I would like to get a clearer mid and high sound.
-I need to buy new front components and door speakers.
-I would like to update my cd deck to a MP3 player. But this one I have is only 3 years old.

I like my 10 disc changer (which is 10 years old, and still works perfect!!)
I like my Eclipse 12" sub and Sony Amp

Overall I am pretty happy with it.
Old 07-31-2003, 07:33 AM

I'm pretty satisfied with mine except for the fact that everything rattles when I turn up the sub.

I have the Alpine CDA 7894 head unit.

The speakers are all factory, but they sound damn good with the alpine deck. The one thing that I like most about that deck is that it has high and low pass crossovers built in. I believe this is a big factor in the factory speakers still sounding good. I have the highs crossed over at around 120hz.

For the boom I have one 12" Image Dynamics IDQ sub in a sealed enclosure of 1 cubic foot.

To push the boomage I'm using a Kicker KX 600.1. I've been really satisfied with this setup. It plays really deep

And to top it off, all of it was installed by yours truly

Last edited by data; 07-31-2003 at 07:34 AM.
Old 07-31-2003, 07:31 PM
Contributing Member

when i first got my car, the stereo was setup with absolute perfection. my buddy who owned it before me made sure it was perfect. he sold the truck to me because he was going in the air force.

the system had an equalizer and an amp secured to the back seats, and the two seats are held together as one with a large piece of wood or something rather. the day after i got the car, i was checking it out, and put the seat back too hard, and it broke the equalizer. of course i had to show off my car the next day, so i had to have the stere working. well i went to frys and got a bunch of RCA cables and splitters as a temporary fix until i got a new eq or this one fixed. doing all this i also needed to change the settings of the amp around.

now that i have a new equalizer in there (exact same model), i cant get the stereo just how it was. it used to rattle the entire car, and would constantly put out extremely powerful hits at high volume. now i cant get it to that super high point.

it used to BUMP for 1 12 inch pioneer and 300 watts worth of amp, but now it just BUMPs

this motivates me to go out there and fix it now
Old 07-31-2003, 07:45 PM
Contributing Member

I'd love to have a better setup, but mine gets the job done. I've got an older JVC deck up front, two kenwood speakers up front, and my Kicker Comp 12's. The rest of the speakers are stock. I haven't spent much on it, so I guess it's ok.
Old 08-04-2003, 09:32 PM

i like my sound system ... the only thing i dislike about it is that its stock...hehe
Old 08-05-2003, 01:50 AM
DuB

The first thing I dislike about my system is how many tries it took to get my current setup. I should've just bought this setup the first time, but I didn't want to spend that much...

I don't like my rear speakers either, but I'm not about to buy Dyns to go back there because people wouldn't be able to tell the difference anyway. And I don't carry people back there too often. And I don't really care

I LOVE how my 15" Solobaric sounds (round one) but it was too big to fit my current install I still have it sitting in my garage though.

I love how my 10" CompVR sounds, but the output right now is a little low for some types of music, but I just need to get off my butt and build the box for the other CompVR.

I wish I had an MP3 player/changer. I'm not willing to give up my headunit or current changer though, so I got a thingy that'll let me hook up another changer Just gotta buy that second changer now.

Moral of the story (from what I've said and others): Do it right the first time, do it yourself (to save money), and get an MP3 player because they're so convenient!
Old 08-05-2003, 06:08 AM

ideal system

head unit - Pioneer Primeer MP3 player (200+ songs capibility, 3 RCA out, inputs)
front doors - Nakamichi 6.5 (aluminum cones) used from Alanzo Morning's car (sp)
back doors - Memphis 5.25 inch
bass - new model JL Audio 12w6
Amps - Alpine 4 channel 400w & MTX 2 channel bridge to 1400w (just what 1 JL needs)
all speaker, power and RCA wires from Monster Cable
The head unit and the 4 channel has crossovers built into them, so adjustability is very easy. I can save my settings from hard hitting to a more natural phase with a touch of a button. I have spent numorous $ on past systems and have been very pleased with this setup. The one sub setup is ideal and very LOUD. I had one JL 12w3 two JL 10w0 and a bass tube in my Lexus es300 and went back to just one sub cause it was louder. In a stereo comp a guy with one 12w6 hit just at 150db in the under 600 watt class.
Old 08-05-2003, 10:58 AM
Contributing Member

The only thing I don't like about mine is I need something powered off an amp up front somewhere. I have to keep the rear faded somewhat to keep the back from overpowering the front. Currently I have Kenwood 4"s in the front, Kenwood 5 1/4"s in the cargo area wired in parallel with the stock tweeters. Then I have 2 Kenwood 10's in a box with two 250W 6X9's on top of the subbox facing forward in wedge shape boxes. The subs and 6X9's are powered by an 800W SPLX amp. My headunit is a Kenwood Excelon X917 with the flip face. It sounds pretty good to me considering I installed it all myself and I don't really know too much technical stuff about stereos.
Old 08-06-2003, 06:18 AM

I'm "old school" all around (it was cheap to buy!)
Front, 4" Polk EX components (tweeters mounted by the top of windshield)
Rear (read door speakers), 6.5" Polk EX components (tweeters mounted at back corner of cab)
Sub, 10" Polk Momo (one) sealed box
Amp, MTX 5400 (25x4 and 100x1 12v rated)
Head unit, Kenwood Tape with CD controls, also have Kenwood 10disc changer.
RF modulator to hook up my MP3 player
It gets loud enough if I want it to. Not a whole lot of space to fill with an extracab truck.
Pictures are on my webpage.
Todd
Old 08-06-2003, 06:26 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I dislike the fact that I only have 1 speaker.
Old 08-06-2003, 02:41 PM

head-unit: alpine cda-7995 cd/mp3 player
amp: phoenix gold zx475 ti
front doors: cdt audio eurosport 620 speakers
sub: image dynamics idq-10

what i like:
o amp goes under driver's seat & doesn't take up cargo space--2 channels to front, 2 bridged to sub
o sub goes in q-logic box against rear cargo panel, doesn't take up cargo space
o soundstage is lifted off floor and now at ear level
o don't need rear speakers after all
o used cheap peel & seal and carpet padding from Lowe's for sound deadening/vibrations
o used cheap & good quality cables from knukonceptz
o mp3 cd's >150 tunes per cd
o didn't hook up headunit display dimmer ( when headlights on) so headunit illuminates cabin a nice blue at night
o did it all myself

what i don't like:
o wish the front passenger seat didn't have rear heater fan under there, otherwise i'd put a stronger separate sub amp there
o q-logic box screws into rear cargo panel
o q-logic box rattles horribly--in process of adding sound deadening and carpet padding
o stock plastic grille's on front door panels don't pop off--would like to replace them with aftermarket metal grilles but this would require dremeling factory grilles out...
o had to drill hole in firewall to run 4# from battery ( don't know how some of u squeezed that in the existing grommet? )

overall--stock sound & aftermarket sound is like night and day... definitely rewarding to do it yourself