Vehicle Audio & Home Entertainment Discussions here pertain to vehicle stereo systems and home entertainment systems

Should i keep my aftermarket system in?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2005, 12:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should i keep my aftermarket system in?

Hey guys,
Thinking about trading in/ selling my 3rd gen for maybe a new 4th generation. Those of you with experience, do you guys think that i should take out my aftermarket system? It's all top notch Alpine stuff, MP3, CDT speakers, Alumapro sub, 4x120 amp + 300 subwoofer amp, 5 farad cap, XM radio, dynamat extreme in all the doors.

Do you guys think if i leave the sound system in that i'd be able to get a few hundred bucks more for that stuff? Or do you think i should part it out and sell that stuff on ebay? It will probably be a PITA to take all that stuff back out and rewire the it the way it was stock since the wires all run different with that aftermarket amp and stuff.

Oh yea... this is sort of off topic, but do you think anyone would run away fro my truck if they saw the deckplate mod?

thanks
Aaron
Old 03-19-2005, 12:36 AM

Oh yea... should i take my bilsteins out and stick the stock ones back in? Or do you guys think that i should leave them in and sell the stock ones on ebay?
Old 03-19-2005, 12:37 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
if you're trading the runner in then you aren't going to get any more cash for having the aftermarket stuff in there. They'll just low ball you and then use the stereo as a selling point for the next guy. If you're selling it out right then you could get a bit more for the ride with the stereo in there, but it all depends on if the amount you get for it is worth leaving the system in and buying new with your new ride. I've found you don't get as much with leaving a system in so I tend to pull it out and install it in my new ride. Just my thoughts
Old 03-19-2005, 12:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
how long have the bilsteins been on?.....if the stock ones aren't bad then I don't see any problem with putting them back on and selling the bils on ebay to make more cash? If you leave the bils on I would def. mention it as a selling point to possible buyers.
Old 03-19-2005, 03:21 AM

I'm with AW on this one. If you are trading in the truck, take the radio and components with you. I'll throw a spin on things, tho. I suggest you head to Wally World and pick up cheap replacement components and stuff them in the spots that you take the good stuff out of. Then, you are out little $$ and it isn't obvious you stripped the radio out of the truck before trading it in.

Oh, and you will want to put that high-zoot radio in your 4th Gen if you get it. Don't believe ANYONE that the upgraded 10-speaker JBL sound system in the 4th Gens is any good... It SUX !

Steve
Old 03-19-2005, 10:48 AM

Actually, I may even go for a 4th generation that has the nav system in it.
I may end up selling private party. Since they are only offering around $12,000 for my 4runner (even though kbb and edmunds say around $14,000). I am going to sell private party since kbb and edmunds say around $15,500- $16,500.

I still have the stock stereo handy and everything. If i were to pull the new system out, i probably wouldn't install it back into the new truck since i'll probably end up getting one with Nav in it. Do you think i'd maybe be able to get at least a few hundred bucks private party? would that be a big seling point for me? Or would people walk away since it's an aftermarket system? So... if i'm not installing the sound system in my new ride... should i leave it in there and have it as a selling point? It's probably going to cost a little bit of money for the stereo people to rip everything out and put the stock setup back in there.

My bilsteins only have less than 50,000 miles on them. Subsiquently (sp?) my stock ones only have around 20,000 miles on them. It will probably cost me a little bit of $$ to have the bils removed and stock ones reinstalled won't it? Do you think i should just leave them in and use that as a selling point? How much do you think i'll get with the stock ones?

I've got a 2000, limited, 4x2, w/ every possible option and 78,000 miles on it. Everything works and the car is somewhere between good and excellent condition. I can't say it's excellent, but it's better than good.

Do you guys think i can get $15,500 for it private party? maybe with all the goodies in there?
Old 03-19-2005, 11:15 AM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Always sell the rig as stock as you can and part out aftermarket stuff as the dealer won't give you squat for aftermarket stuff anyway, you'll be just giving some salesman some free stuff as they just take that stuff out and keep it themselves or sell it off.

Old 03-19-2005, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
Always sell the rig as stock as you can and part out aftermarket stuff as the dealer won't give you squat for aftermarket stuff anyway, you'll be just giving some salesman some free stuff as they just take that stuff out and keep it themselves or sell it off.

Ok... how about if i were to sell private party? Would you recommend that i spend the money to part it out first? Or do you think i could leave everything in there and get a few more $$ for it? Or would it help sell the car with all that stuff in it? i mean, most of the mods are mods that people here on yotatech would've done to it after they got it. Deckplate, stereo, dynamat, bilstein, optima battery, horn upgrade, Jason B's footwell lighting etc...
wow... i've actually done a lot to it now that i think of it.

Last edited by Alin10123; 03-19-2005 at 01:03 PM.
Old 03-20-2005, 04:34 AM

All bets are off if you sell private party. You could luck into an audio-head and have the upgraded radio be the key selling point.

From the looks of it, you won't be using any of those components on the new vehicle and it looks like you will need to pay someone to do any of the work of removing the upgrades to put the stock components back in. I don't know how much the labor will cost, but I suspect that you *may* break even if you pulled all the upgrades out and sold them on ebay vs. leaving them in the truck. I guess my suggestion would be to leave them in the truck and put a slightly higher price on it.

Oh, and don't say I didn't warn you that the "upgraded" radio in the 4th Gen sux - even the one with the NAV systems !

Steve
Old 03-20-2005, 06:15 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I set my 4Runner system up so if I ever return it to stock, there will be no way to tell. No drilling, no extra holes, etc. Just about 3-4 hours to remove it all and put the stock stuff back in.

Now, remember, it's not going to be cheap to have the stock stocks put back on. Most take it in to a shop with a spring compressor and it can get pricy to change out 4 shocks when you aren't doing it yourself. You may be better off to leave them on.
Old 03-30-2005, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by Jason B
I set my 4Runner system up so if I ever return it to stock, there will be no way to tell. No drilling, no extra holes, etc. Just about 3-4 hours to remove it all and put the stock stuff back in.

Now, remember, it's not going to be cheap to have the stock stocks put back on. Most take it in to a shop with a spring compressor and it can get pricy to change out 4 shocks when you aren't doing it yourself. You may be better off to leave them on.
Yea... with my system there are no holes or anything like that. Everything was installed without modification.
I just called up the shop that installed my system. They are quoting me $275 for uninstalling everything and putting the stock items back in.
I've actually got a lot of stuff in there.
The nicest Alpine headunit at the time CDA-7878 (the first MP3 one, the thing had a manual that was literally almost an inch thick, the guys in the shop were playing around with it cause it was the nicest at the time they were all in awe)
4 CDT speakers
5 Farad Cap
8 inch alumapro sub/wenclosure
120x4 amp for speakers
250 watt amp for sub.
XM radio
(also dynamat, but i dont think i can take that out)

Do you guys think that if i sold everything on ebay that i'd get at least $275 on ebay? I'm asking only because right now i was offered $13,400 for the trade-in and my listing price on autotrader is just above $15,000 and i'm not really getting much response at all. I'm thinking about just trading it in and getting it over with. Since iv'e got 6% sales tax here it would be like getting $14,200 for the tradein with the money i'll save on taxes.