Vehicle Audio & Home Entertainment Discussions here pertain to vehicle stereo systems and home entertainment systems

Post your amp setups!

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2004, 10:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post your amp setups!

This is more of a question, but I really need to find out where and how you guys mount your amps.

I wanted to keep my amp & sub setup as mobile as possible in my 2000 4Runner LTD, and ended up mounting my amp to the actual sub box. This is a huge hassle every time I have to take it out, because I have to unscrew the power cables from the amp. It's a total pain in the ass.

The reason I mounted my amp where I did is because I don't have anywhere else to mount it. There is no room under the passenger seat, and I have the sirius tuner under the driver seat. I didn't want to mount it to the back of the backseat because I am always putting stuff in (snowboarding gear, bikes, etc), and it would constantly damage the amp.

The only remaining spots are the space where the jack goes (it's too short to lift the truck anyway, so it's useless, but I am not sure if there is enough room to place the amp. The other (better) place is the storage compartment on the right in the back of the truck.

Can you guys post up your setups/ideas on a setup, so I can get an idea of what's the best way to mount the stationary amp and only remove the box when I need to?

TIA
Old 11-24-2004, 12:32 AM
Contributing Member

I have two MTX amps mounted to the back of my rear seats & I've never had any problems with them getting damaged-- I load pretty much the same things you've mentioned-- I also snowboard & mountain bike-- Often loading big boxes & lots of luggage when traveling...

I just fold the seats down put a cardboard or rag over them & it works out fine... As you can see in the PIC--I also have a CD changer which is easily removed and set aside ( single quick disconnect cable) held securely in place to the carpet with wing nuts...I often need the rear cargo space, that's why I also installed a custom space saver subwoofer box so that I don't have to hassle with removing it all the time...

Last edited by Noliwan; 12-10-2004 at 01:24 PM.
Old 11-24-2004, 04:31 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Like my hot pink wire

Sub woofer hids 'em from the rear.

Old 11-24-2004, 04:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have mine mounted in the storage compartment in the back. (Did this after the last one was stolen)

I had to take the inner plastic off and use a dremel to cut the one side of the compartment off (Amp was to big) But other than that it WORKS Awesome.

No one knows its there (Can't steal what you can't see) and It's out of the way.

Ill see if I can get some pics up tonight
Old 11-24-2004, 05:07 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1) You can move the factory RS3000 alarm box, if you have one? When you take the front seat out you can disconnect the brain box and move it up under the carpet. There is a nice sized cavity under the carpet. This will give you more space for the amp. You can still squeeze an amp in with the alarm box only if it's small. The passenger seat also has room under it, but not much if you have the rear heater.

2) You can take out the factory jack. You can easily fit a crossover and a small amp in its place. There is also a large cavity where an amp can be put in. You can feel it with you hand. Then, you can move the jack to the rear storage panel.

3) You can mount the amp in the rear storage panel.

4) If worse comes to worse, you can mount the amp on the back of your box.

If you need any more details, let me know.
Old 11-24-2004, 07:15 AM

I have 2 old school Soundstream amps hidden in the rear storage compartment in a '99 Runner. I'll try to post pics tonight.
Old 11-24-2004, 08:53 AM

I am very interested to see how the guys that mounted the amp in the storage compartment did it, and whether there were any issues with air floow/cooling. Looking at my options and the size of my amp, the storage compartment would work best, but I need to see how it can be mounted. I'll wait for your pics people! TIA
Old 11-24-2004, 09:09 AM
Contributing Member

Mine is just on the box
Old 11-24-2004, 09:13 AM

Mine is currently on the box as well, however, it's a huge hassle to remove and put back in, which I do almost every weekend. I tried looking for quick-release type of connectors for power cables, but found absolutely nothing, so everything had to be hardwired and power cables have to be unscrewed/screwed at the amp. My roommate's car, on the other hand, has a stationary amp (hidden away very well) which releases the speaker connectors at the box, so the whole removal procedure is under 30 seconds.
Old 11-24-2004, 01:07 PM

This my setup that I have on the back of my seat. I have 2 usamps and mb quart q crossovers.
Old 11-24-2004, 01:30 PM
Contributing Member

I've got both my amps mounted on my box, it is kind of a pain to take the box out but I've gotten used to hooking it all up that I can hook it back up in about 5 minutes. I've got all the wires labeled with labeling tape so that makes it a lot easier.

You can check out my profile using the link in my sig to see a pic of my amp setup.

Fink
Old 11-24-2004, 04:32 PM

Here's my amp rack. The left amp one is the sub amp and the right is for the front and rear speakers, but those speakers are still running off the head unit.
Attached Thumbnails Post your amp setups!-amp-rack.jpg  
Old 11-24-2004, 04:34 PM

The head unit and sub amp power/volume control knob where the cigarette lighter used to be.
Attached Thumbnails Post your amp setups!-head-unit.jpg  
Old 11-24-2004, 04:35 PM

Here's my 6.5inch JL sub box.
Attached Thumbnails Post your amp setups!-sub.jpg  
Old 11-25-2004, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by Joel
Here's my amp rack. The left amp one is the sub amp and the right is for the front and rear speakers, but those speakers are still running off the head unit.
Joel - this is exactly what I am trying to do. Did you have to pull out the black panel to mount the amp on it? I am afraid to just drive screws into it because I'm afraid it's going to puncture/reach the quarterpanel of the truck from the inside. But, since you put wiring holes in it, I'm assuming to took the whole thing off to get it done. I'm doing this on Sunday. Looks super clean! *thumbsup*
Old 11-25-2004, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by Jason B
1) You can move the factory RS3000 alarm box, if you have one? When you take the front seat out you can disconnect the brain box and move it up under the carpet. There is a nice sized cavity under the carpet. This will give you more space for the amp. You can still squeeze an amp in with the alarm box only if it's small. The passenger seat also has room under it, but not much if you have the rear heater.

2) You can take out the factory jack. You can easily fit a crossover and a small amp in its place. There is also a large cavity where an amp can be put in. You can feel it with you hand. Then, you can move the jack to the rear storage panel.

3) You can mount the amp in the rear storage panel.

4) If worse comes to worse, you can mount the amp on the back of your box.

If you need any more details, let me know.
the 2nd way is what i have done. but now i think im going to have to deal with heat problem. but i put it hear just for the fact that its out of the way and the sub box can be removed with out disconnecting a ton of wires.
Old 11-25-2004, 07:26 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
How bout this for saving space? LOL

4 Zapco 9.0s

Preamp sections

uncarpeted box

got room? I dont! LOL

And if anyone wonders about the amps being that close and overheating, I monitor their temperature, output, and settings via this:

Last edited by Bumpin' Yota; 11-25-2004 at 07:33 PM.
Old 11-26-2004, 03:20 PM

I had the same problem. I go camping a lot and I sleep in the back so mounting them on the back seat was out. What I ended up doing is I put them on the rear floor board. After that I made some custom covers using plexi to make the rear floorboard flat. After that I threw the rear floor mat back on top so you can't see them if you look in. The rear seats still fold down and I now have room for two amps. hope this helps.
Old 11-26-2004, 04:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How about mounting to the ceiling of the cargo area? I'll be mounting mine up there when time permits...
Old 11-27-2004, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by Joel
Hey Joel, did you cut off the things with the nylon straps before you put a board in there to mount the amp? I think I should've done that too...it would've made mounting my amp a hell of a lot easier. Here's mine

After the pic was taken, I cleaned up and hid the wires.

Quick Reply: Post your amp setups!