Vehicle Audio & Home Entertainment Discussions here pertain to vehicle stereo systems and home entertainment systems

Pioneer D3 in 06 Tacoma

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 05:25 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Pioneer D3 in 06 Tacoma

A buddy at work had a D3 that he use to have in his Chevy, and he just set it in his closet when he got a different unit. He mentioned it to me, and I jumped on the deal and bought it off him about a month ago. It's just been sitting on my dresser since then until about a week ago when I finally decided to order the dash install kit and a wiring harness

Absolutely LOVE the unit! I'll probably never use it to actually watch a DVD on (although the full surround sound sitting in the truck when playing an action scene sounds AMAZING, I found out just testing the unit and popping in Transformers 2 ), but the main reason I wanted the unit was to have a built in GPS, as I was tired of my Garmin sticking to my windshield and/or trying to fumble with my phone and using Google Maps.

The only thing I need to get now is the USB interface adapter so I can play music off a USB drive (got too use to that with my last stereo, lol) and the bluetooth adapter so I can pair my phone with the unit and have hands-free calling. Hopefully in the coming weeks I'll have those and will pull the unit back out and add those to it.

out with the old single din unit (also a Pioneer) and in with the new double din!

this is the only pic I have of the unit installed. I snapped it in the dark pretty much but I'll try to get some better ones tomorrow, as well as one of my custom start-up screen

Old 11-24-2011, 01:22 PM
Contributing Member

followed up on the D3 with some headrest monitors today. they're a cheaper brand Power Acoustik model, but for what I paid for them what the heck

couldn't put them in the front seat headrest as they're not quite wide enough

but as it turns out, the rear seat headrests will slide right in place on the front seats, and although the notches on the posts aren't the same so they no longer have the ratcheting up and down locking mechanism, they work perfectly. and I always had the headrests all the way down anyway, so that's not an issue for me

so step one was to take a deep breath, cut open the material, and dig out a void

they're suppose to mount by setting the bracket down into the void, fastening the bracket to the metal support beam in the headrest, and then you can just pop the screen itself into the bracket. UNFORTUNATELY, the rear seat headrests are not quick thick enough, and the bracket only sits so far into the head rest before it hits the metal support bar... thus making the bracket stick out and not sit flush with the headrest...

easy solution, just slip the bracket inside the headrest and BEHIND the material, flip the material over and into the bracket, and then push the screen down into the bracket, and it fits EXTREMELY tight, so they're not going anywhere. but this actually made the finished product look really clean since there's not a large edge around the screen itself

one down, one to go

and both done

all the guts removed from the headrest

and finally, a shot of them in the truck. almost look factory, it Toyota were to ever offer headrest monitors in a Tacoma, lol

no pic with them working yet, as I don't have the power or video wires running to them, but that's the easy part and I'll tackle that probably next week. I also had to order a remote for them too, and they won't turn on until it comes in anyway.

hopefully next week everything will be hooked up and fully functional
Old 11-24-2011, 02:58 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Clean install to say the least! Excellent work!

Those in-dash-monitors seem useless to me unless its a GPS system. Is it?

Also I would never use the headrest monitors either as I almost never carry passengers.

But I have to admit you did an awesome job!
Old 11-24-2011, 05:07 PM
Contributing Member

thanks!

yeah it has a GPS system as well. that was half the reason of installing it; to get the Garmin out of my window
Old 11-24-2011, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by iamsuperbleeder
thanks!

yeah it has a GPS system as well. that was half the reason of installing it; to get the Garmin out of my window
Gotta admit, now i'm jealous...

Wonder what these go for...$$
Old 11-24-2011, 07:07 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Swimmerboy2112

lol

well, I bought mine off a buddy at work, paid $50 for the head unit and $15 for the headrest monitors directly from work so I'm in $65 for this project so far
Old 11-24-2011, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by iamsuperbleeder
lol

well, I bought mine off a buddy at work, paid $50 for the head unit and $15 for the headrest monitors directly from work so I'm in $65 for this project so far
I gotta find these deals!
Old 11-25-2011, 07:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Swimmerboy2112

i can help you out with one when you are ready brian
Old 11-25-2011, 07:30 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Looks great!
I had the D3 installed in the FJ Cruiser spring 2007.
Very nice unit.
Old 11-28-2011, 07:40 PM
Contributing Member

yeah I'm really liking it. used the navigation this weekend for the first time and it works fairly well. the only thing I think it really needs is a USB input... which I can add to it granted I can find the adapter, which is EXTREMELY hard since Pioneer no longer makes it...