Vehicle Audio & Home Entertainment Discussions here pertain to vehicle stereo systems and home entertainment systems

Need help.. sorry, im a noob.

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2004, 05:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help.. sorry, im a noob.

I recently sold my toyota tacoma and bought a 99 4runner sr5. Im loving it. However, i cannot stand not knowing how to do things such as taking apart the center section of the dash to put in my headunit. Can anyone gimme a step by step tutorial on what needs to be removed first and how its removed in order to get to my headunit and stuff? I used to be able to get to my headunit in 5 minutes on my tacoma, but im completely lost on the 4runner. I searched in all the tech write-ups but no luck. Anybody please? thanks for your time.
Old 12-20-2004, 04:20 AM

https://www.yotatech.com/~corey/tech/slc_stereo/slc.htm

Although, in looking through SLC's write-up, I think that it might be a little easier in the newer models. When I replaced my stereo in my 2002, all that I had to do was wedge my fingers behind the center console near the top. After a little prying, it pops off. At first it will scare the crap out of you, but the metal clips just need to clear the plastic openings. After that it should just be the same all the way down. Work your way down with the clips until the panel is free. Then just unplug all of the wiring harnesses (Hazard lights, heater controls, etc.). After they are all removed the panel should be fully detatched. Good luck.

Last edited by bradym239; 12-20-2004 at 04:29 AM.
Old 12-20-2004, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by bradym239
https://www.yotatech.com/~corey/tech/slc_stereo/slc.htm

Although, in looking through SLC's write-up, I think that it might be a little easier in the newer models. When I replaced my stereo in my 2002, all that I had to do was wedge my fingers behind the center console near the top. After a little prying, it pops off. At first it will scare the crap out of you, but the metal clips just need to clear the plastic openings. After that it should just be the same all the way down. Work your way down with the clips until the panel is free. Then just unplug all of the wiring harnesses (Hazard lights, heater controls, etc.). After they are all removed the panel should be fully detatched. Good luck.
awesome dude. thanks a bunch. so i HAVE to remove the black piece around the shifter in order to get to the piece in the center of the dash?

crap.. after looking at the wiring harness stuff... i dont have the green and purple wires on the harness to connect to my headunit. when i had my tacoma, i only had front speakers.. no rear speakers. where can i get a new wiring harness??

Last edited by Billabong; 12-20-2004 at 09:32 AM.
Old 12-20-2004, 01:30 PM

Most chain auto parts places will have them: Kragen, Pep Boys, Auto Zone and I know WalMart has them too.
Old 12-20-2004, 07:03 PM

Welp, i installed my sony cdx-m600 with NO problems!!! thanks to everyone with their advice and imput on this. stock sucks. i was surprised to see how easy it was to do. the wiring harness and all that stuff was a breeze.

Last edited by Billabong; 12-20-2004 at 07:05 PM.
Old 12-20-2004, 07:07 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Billabong
I searched in all the tech write-ups but no luck. Anybody please? thanks for your time.
Serious?

I think theres at least 3 that i can find in a few minutes. nevertheless, check the "Tech Section" and see my writeup here too

http://www.4runners.org/articles/headunit

Learn to search, noob! And if I didn't say it, welcome to YT land

Bob
Old 12-20-2004, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by Bob_98SR5
Serious?

I think theres at least 3 that i can find in a few minutes. nevertheless, check the "Tech Section" and see my writeup here too

http://www.4runners.org/articles/headunit

Learn to search, noob! And if I didn't say it, welcome to YT land

Bob
haha.. thanks. I come from www.customtacos.com but since i have sold my minitruck and bought my 4runner.. im still learning the tricks and trades with it.