Vehicle Audio & Home Entertainment Discussions here pertain to vehicle stereo systems and home entertainment systems

Headrest help! Need some advice.

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2004, 08:33 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Headrest help! Need some advice.

Yesturday I installed the Clarion VRX935VD flip out tv. I am looking at 2 headrest options.

The first is clarions 5.8" widescreen tv. Heres a link to it. http://www.clarion.com/usa/product/i...roduct=VMA5894

The second is also clarion but a 7" widescreen. Link. http://www.clarion.com/usa/product/i...roduct=VMA7194

I am leaning toward the 5.8 because I think the 7" is too large for our 3rd gen headrest. Plz help me with any info you have about fitment. Thanks David
Old 07-30-2004, 10:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dbikeman
Yesturday I installed the Clarion VRX935VD flip out tv. I am looking at 2 headrest options.

The first is clarions 5.8" widescreen tv. Heres a link to it. http://www.clarion.com/usa/product/i...roduct=VMA5894

The second is also clarion but a 7" widescreen. Link. http://www.clarion.com/usa/product/i...roduct=VMA7194

I am leaning toward the 5.8 because I think the 7" is too large for our 3rd gen headrest. Plz help me with any info you have about fitment. Thanks David
if you have the sport headrest i think 5.8" is probably as big as you can go. the 7" will not fit. if you really want a 7" you'll need to go with the vizualogic or myron davis setup. it comes already installed with a headrest. its pricy though $1500.
Old 07-30-2004, 02:23 PM
Contributing Member

Im not gonna pay 1500 for new headrest. I think I may try and pick up a second set of leather headrest and try to do the work myself.
Old 08-03-2004, 03:38 AM

The 4runner headeast suck. You cant go that big. I was gonna buy the in headrest ones for about $700 installed. But I ended up with the Idea of aone giant flip down. Somthing in the necks of 15"
Old 08-03-2004, 05:05 AM
Contributing Member

Well I had that idea too. I wanted to install the 5.8" screens in the headrest and a 15.3" clarion flip down right in the middle. To complete the mobile video I wanted to put 7" screens on the visors.

Im trying to do all my own installs and get a good idea how to do everything. Right now I'm trying to save money and hope to go to school for that sort of thing and get certified and open my own shop eventually.
Old 08-03-2004, 05:19 AM
Contributing Member

Wow...those units are HUGE. There is a TON of wasted space around the edges. Id say that the 5.8'' might even be too big for your headrests - looks like that thing has atleast an inch of wasted space on each side. Get the dimensions on it and see how much of your headrest it will take up...I bet it's going to be ALOT. Find a unit that doesnt have that junky border around the sides and less button control.

IMOP, 5 inchers and smaller look MUCH better in 3rd gen headrests. They fit very nicely and leave a good amount of headrest boarder on the sides. Ive seen some setups with those bigger screens and they take up waaay too much of the headrest.

FYI, I had the first indash Kenwood touch screen some 4 years ago and it was only like a 5.5'' screen. People in the rear could see it fine...so a 5'' in the headrests will be plenty.
Old 08-03-2004, 08:19 AM

I have only seen one other person other than myself do a headrest install in a 3rd gen 4Runner, and that is pfdaxe his install is clean. You will not be able to fit 7'' in the headrests, around 5'' will work ok. You have to be very wary about the depth of the lcd's. Our headrests do not have very much foam between the rear and the metal support on the inside where you have to mount the lcd itself (at least the sr5 cloth model's do not).

I've done the install and since I'm picky I did not like the outcome. I think pdfaxe's lcd's are perfect fitment for the headrests, I wish I saw his before I attempted mine (and bought the ones he did). You also have to do some very very carefull wiring depending upon your lcd wiring setup the 2 metal supports that hold the headrest in place are actuall one large piece that curves around with no openings. I had to dremel out a large enough chunk to pass the wires through to get down into the base of the seat. PITA!

If you have the inclination go for it, my advice get spare headrests first, you may not like how it turns out.
Old 08-03-2004, 01:34 PM
Contributing Member

Yea I was gonna buy just 1 extra headrest and practice on it before I go cutting into mine. I had a pretty good feeling that the 7" screens where way to big. Im gonna check his install out and see what my final decision is.