Vehicle Audio & Home Entertainment Discussions here pertain to vehicle stereo systems and home entertainment systems

Amp install help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2006, 06:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amp install help!

I am installing my amp tomorrow and I am trying to decide on three different mounting locations. 1) i would prefer to be under the driver seat but I am unsure how to secure down and where to run the ground wire. 2) in the storage area in the back but again I am unsure how to mount and where to ground. 3) on the back of the rear seat, i have mounted amps on seats like this before so it is really the only one I do know how to mount and ground.
So can anyone tell me how to mount and/or ground the amp in the first two locations?
Old 02-17-2006, 07:32 PM
Contributing Member

I just zip tied mine to the carpet. Won't move. Also sanded a spot on the metal there and just drilled a hole, tapped a screw in and grounded it. Works very well. Ran the power down the drivers side doorsill channel and the RCA's under the carpet and center armrest to the deck. Works great.
Old 02-17-2006, 08:20 PM

use your bolts that hold your seats down as a ground.. thats what i did.. i wouldnt suggest putting a amp in the storage compartment. the amp has a fan which is used to keep the amp cool, which means it needs a place to release that hot air.. but in the closed compartment that hot air is trapped which can burn up your amp.. i would suggest jip tiing it to the carpet, or screwing it on the back of a seat or just letting it sit on the floor like mine..
Old 02-17-2006, 08:39 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by t100
use your bolts that hold your seats down as a ground.. thats what i did.. i wouldnt suggest putting a amp in the storage compartment. the amp has a fan which is used to keep the amp cool, which means it needs a place to release that hot air.. but in the closed compartment that hot air is trapped which can burn up your amp.. i would suggest jip tiing it to the carpet, or screwing it on the back of a seat or just letting it sit on the floor like mine..

no, using your bolt as a ground is not a good idea. its not a good, clean ground. though it might work, its not the best idea and best practice.
Old 02-18-2006, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by t100

I did this for years, just make sure you sand down the area around the bolt to get a good ground. And for the holding it sown part, I used velcro! I just put it on the bottom of the amp and it stuck to the carpet great, but I also had my wires very tight going into the amp so they helped hold it in place as well. Good luck!!
Old 02-18-2006, 10:17 AM

Hey guys thanks for the replies. I think i have a much better idea of what to do now. Did the rest of you guys run your RCA's under the carpet and under your armrest like DavidA too? If any of you guys have some pictures of your amp that would be cool too. Also a side Question for DavidA, I was looking at some of your pictures and I saw you made a custom box for the Storage compartment how did you accomplish that and how is it held there?
Old 02-19-2006, 10:34 AM
Contributing Member

I can't remember where I found it, but someone here had plans posted to build a toolbox over the wheel wells. So I took that idea and made a box that is basically an L-shape behind the front mounting plate. That way it stabilizes the box and it covers the wheelwell. I then put an eyebolt at the end of the box, above the fire extinguisher, and used a nylon zip tie to secure it the the cargo net hook. Look just to the right of the extinguisher head:

It does not move much. I stuffed the box with polyfil because I was about .15 cu ft short of the recommended internal sealed box volume for the Kenwood woofer. Overall I like it. The bass is sharp and clean and it can rattle your body sometimes.

Last edited by DavidA; 02-19-2006 at 10:36 AM.
Old 02-20-2006, 04:30 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Bob is right!!

AVOID grounding an amp with a seatbelt bolt or seat lug!! You will develop alternator whine if you do that. It may take a while, but it will rear its ugly head eventually. Instead pick a spot ot ground it to, double drill verify, then sand and drill!
Old 02-20-2006, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by Bumpin' Yota
Bob is right!!

AVOID grounding an amp with a seatbelt bolt or seat lug!! You will develop alternator whine if you do that. It may take a while, but it will rear its ugly head eventually. Instead pick a spot ot ground it to, double drill verify, then sand and drill!
The only problem with this is I don’t like the idea of putting holes in the floor of my truck. How can you check to see where you drilling on the underside? I have never done anything like that so is there any walk through for that? And just out of curiosity why would it develop whine on the seat bolt and not the other way?
Old 02-21-2006, 08:13 AM
Contributing Member

Just look underneath before drilling. Was not a big deal.

I don't know about the whine. That is usually caused by a ground loop. Sometimes you just cannot predict whether or not you will create one. Other times it is caused by the RCA cables picking up the alternator whine from your power cables, thus the need to keep them separated.
Old 02-21-2006, 03:08 PM

I have been profesionaly installing audio system in cars for 5 years now. so, here are my opinions.

1. Under seat is the most conspicuous spot to mount it(if it fits).

2. screw down a plywood board under the seat then mount the amp on it. if your carpet gets wet your amp won't

3. don't wire tie it down. it will bounce with the truck and damage circut boards.

4. Run your power and wire more than 2 feet away from each other. that will help stop noise.

5. ground to your body and scrape the paint away. Then shoot your screws with some rust proof paint or undercoating inside and out to minimize rust.

6. make sure your fuse is no further that one foot from your battery. You don't want to burn you 4runner down do ya?

You can mount it on the back seat just be carefull about pinch points when you fold the seats up and down.

PM me if you want more help!
Old 02-21-2006, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by txaggie07
The only problem with this is I don’t like the idea of putting holes in the floor of my truck. How can you check to see where you drilling on the underside? I have never done anything like that so is there any walk through for that? And just out of curiosity why would it develop whine on the seat bolt and not the other way?
The seat belt bolt will not make a solid enough of a ground and most of the contacting surfaces will corrode and the ground will deteriorate.

"Double drill verify" - that's basically seeing where the drill and screw will come out of the bottom of floor.
Old 02-21-2006, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by Tron
I have been profesionaly installing audio system in cars for 5 years now. so, here are my opinions.

1. Under seat is the most conspicuous spot to mount it(if it fits).

2. screw down a plywood board under the seat then mount the amp on it. if your carpet gets wet your amp won't

3. don't wire tie it down. it will bounce with the truck and damage circut boards.

4. Run your power and wire more than 2 feet away from each other. that will help stop noise.

5. ground to your body and scrape the paint away. Then shoot your screws with some rust proof paint or undercoating inside and out to minimize rust.

6. make sure your fuse is no further that one foot from your battery. You don't want to burn you 4runner down do ya?

You can mount it on the back seat just be carefull about pinch points when you fold the seats up and down.

PM me if you want more help!
Awsome advice! Where do you work?
Old 02-22-2006, 06:44 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Can you ground it on the bolt that holds the body to the frame. I am too using the seat bolt as a ground.