Vehicle Audio & Home Entertainment Discussions here pertain to vehicle stereo systems and home entertainment systems

93 4Runner electric Antenna?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2006, 09:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
93 4Runner electric Antenna?

Hi all,

I'm a n00b here but need some help getting my stock Toyota electric antenna working with an after market head unit (Kenwood).. I have wired up plenty of systems before and never had any problem till this one.

I have tried almost every wire from behind the stock radio and none seem to activate the antenna.. Is there a trick that I should know to get this working with a new headunit?

Any help would be very muchly appreciated. :pat:

Thanks
Craig.

Last edited by Craigus; 04-05-2006 at 10:05 PM.
Old 04-06-2006, 08:19 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
the solid blue wire coming from an aftermarket deck is the powered antenna.

If that doesnt work, then just use the blue/white to activate the powered antenna. The one drawback of using the blue/white is that the antenna mast will be up whenever the deck itself is on....
Old 04-06-2006, 01:13 PM

I'm not having trouble with the power antena wire form the deck, It's the wire for the stock antenna wire behind the dash that I cant find.

Thanks.
Old 04-06-2006, 08:16 PM

Use a DMM to check the antenna fuse and ALL fuses in the car - both those in the kickpanel as well as those under the hood. Visual inspection of fuses is a crapshoot at best so set the dmm to Vdc, ground the negatvie probe, turn the key to "on," and start measuring...if a fuse is blown one side will show no voltage the other side will. If intact both sides will show 12v.
Old 04-07-2006, 11:27 AM

check your kenwood.

back in 1991, when i first stuck a sony mobile ES head in my trucks, my HS buddy who now had his own shop, did the initial install.

on the sony head, there were 2 blue wires for the antenna (plus another one for amp turn-on lead). at first he use just one of them and the power antenna never went up.

when he wired both, it worked as the factory head did. when you select the tuner portion, the antenna went up. if you select the cassette (remember, this was 1991) the antenna never went up, or if it was up, it went down.

i thought it was a cool feature of a factory head.

anyways, back then, the sony head did the same thing. it was a tuner, cassette and cd changer capable head. so the antenna only went up when the tuner portion was selected. cassette and cd had the antenna down.

so my buddy and i assumed that both of the blue wires (one had a white chaser) both totaled 12 volts which allowed the antenna to function correctly. and when the tuner isnt select one of the wire goes dead and the whatever power the other wire has, didnt have enough to raise the it.

so check the kenwood wiring harness diagram. i've had 2 diff sony mobile ES heads since (now stuck at a 1997 model, the XR-C900) and they've all functioned like that.
Old 04-07-2006, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by ldivinag
check your kenwood.

back in 1991, when i first stuck a sony mobile ES head in my trucks, my HS buddy who now had his own shop, did the initial install.

on the sony head, there were 2 blue wires for the antenna (plus another one for amp turn-on lead). at first he use just one of them and the power antenna never went up.

when he wired both, it worked as the factory head did. when you select the tuner portion, the antenna went up. if you select the cassette (remember, this was 1991) the antenna never went up, or if it was up, it went down.

i thought it was a cool feature of a factory head.

anyways, back then, the sony head did the same thing. it was a tuner, cassette and cd changer capable head. so the antenna only went up when the tuner portion was selected. cassette and cd had the antenna down.

so my buddy and i assumed that both of the blue wires (one had a white chaser) both totaled 12 volts which allowed the antenna to function correctly. and when the tuner isnt select one of the wire goes dead and the whatever power the other wire has, didnt have enough to raise the it.

so check the kenwood wiring harness diagram. i've had 2 diff sony mobile ES heads since (now stuck at a 1997 model, the XR-C900) and they've all functioned like that.
Actually you can't parallel wires and add the voltages. You can only increase current flow. Im willing to bet that that other blue wire you had wired up had some other function and was not a powered antenna lead.

In any event current production cd players are very uniform on their color codes. Solid blue is antenna turn on and only carries 12v when you have the FM/AM tuner activated. And blue/white (blue with a white trace) is the amplifier turn on which will always carry 12v whenver the deck is on.
Old 04-08-2006, 04:50 AM

Thanks for the ideas guy's.. I fixed it by taking the electric antenna out and using a fixed one.. Now I don't have to panic every time I bend it in the bush.

Thanks again
Craig.
Old 04-24-2006, 03:42 PM

You could have ran a new switch inbetween the power antenna Relay that is mounted next to / below steering wheel colunm.

I put in a Alpine , but my Dam Pwer Antenna always stayed up even when just using CD player, ( Hate Radio)

so After cutting and reconnecting BLUE , white wires and loosing my rear speakers, I just ran a Disconnect Switch for the relay that runs the antenna.

No more antenna when I don't want it Sticking up !

PS Don't forget the 4runner has 2 Antenna's Yes Two antenna wires, the other one goes in the right Rear window itself, you could just plug into that