Vehicle Audio & Home Entertainment Discussions here pertain to vehicle stereo systems and home entertainment systems

3rd gen 4runner front component speakers & CROSSOVERS

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 11:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3rd gen 4runner front component speakers & CROSSOVERS

I just installed a pair of Clarion component speakers that had a crossover inline (not a big separate box) and got lazy and spliced it all into the oem wireing vs. dragging that wire to the deck.

Then it occured to me, since there already were tweeters on the a pillar and mids in the doors, does that mean that there is an existing crossover somewhere in the wireing and now i have two? if so, then i can "cut" mine out and splice the wires back together. If there was no crossover originally then i'm fine.

i have an alpine aftermarket HU btw.

Thanks. I guess i'm just wondering if there is an existing oem cross over in the wireing.
Old 07-22-2010, 11:36 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
na i don't think theirs a factory cross over
Old 07-23-2010, 04:02 PM

there is not going to be a crossover in the sense of a big box with three sets of terminals like you may have gotten with your aftermarket speakers but there is a built in crossover ( or at least on my 3rd gen and a lot of the ones i have done stereos in ) if you removed your factory tweeter you most likely took the "crossover" out with it. look at the wires coming off the tweeter into the plug. if there are 4 wires in that plug, and two of them are really only jumpers that was your crossover, more of a bass blocker honestly, just there to prevent bass from getting to the tweeter and blowing it. as long as you have your factory lead going to the mids first, then the crossover is in line to the tweets you will be fine. more than likely if you had two crossovers or bass blockers going to the tweets they would not sound right at all and you would be able to notice.
Old 07-23-2010, 10:13 PM

you are so right, there was a little resistor next to the cross over, my friend did the pass door yeasterday and i did the driver today and noticed it. thanks! now i can sleep!