Vehicle Audio & Home Entertainment Discussions here pertain to vehicle stereo systems and home entertainment systems

2004 4Runner Limited with JBL system..

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 12:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 4Runner Limited with JBL system..

Howdy all...new to the forum and was wondering if anyone has any experience with replacing the factory JBL CD/Radio with an aftermarket H/U.

I was trying to have an Alpine 9856 installed for XM and IPod..after getting started, the installer stopped because he said that he required a special harness to keep the factory radio/amp in line and that the only way to do the install was to keep the factory radio 'in line' and hide the unit behind a rear panel or else the amp and other electronics might get messed up. This sounds like it's going to be a big deal?

Anyone with any experience dealing with putting in an aftermarket H/U in a 'yota with the JBL system installed?
Old 01-04-2007, 11:32 PM

All toyota w/ premium sound require a single special harness, unlike the usual double harness.

Like this one
Old 01-05-2007, 04:59 AM

I am thinking about doing this with my 07, when it arrives. I want to maintain all of the factory speaker/subwoofer... so with this harness I can plug my Alpine unit in, and the rest will work off the OEM amp?
Old 01-05-2007, 09:15 AM

Just to clarify on toyota radio harnesses. There are only two harnesses and the first one is common.

87+ w/o amplifier or amplifier locate behind radio. unplug the harness from amp and use this harness.

87+ w/ amplifier (JBL package or high-end sound) not locating behind radio.
Old 01-05-2007, 11:43 AM

so where is the amp on the JBL?

and... the pigtail plugs to the truck, so you use the RCA's to go from the hew head unit to the OEM amp, right?
Old 01-05-2007, 12:46 PM

Thanks for the information....it is a great help!

Anyone with any ideas about where to 'hide' the factory unit? The installer I'm using says there's 'always' room behind the real panels over behind the rear wheel and by the rear speaker?

Sounds like a long way to run...but there's no room under the seats....
Old 01-05-2007, 11:41 PM

^you do not need the factory radio in place if you use that single harness w/ RCAs. Another word, take it out and ebay it.

the single pigtail goes to the truck and the RCA goes to your aftermarket HU (sony, alpine, pioneer, ect...)

Last edited by profuse007; 01-05-2007 at 11:47 PM.
Old 01-06-2007, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by profuse007
^you do not need the factory radio in place if you use that single harness w/ RCAs. Another word, take it out and ebay it.

the single pigtail goes to the truck and the RCA goes to your aftermarket HU (sony, alpine, pioneer, ect...)
Hmmm...I guess I'm confused....I really am an idiot when it comes to this stuff.

This just sounds too simple......why wouldn't the installer guy know this?

Would I would lose some of the speakers (including subwoofer) that were factory installed? My understanding is that the JBL Synthesis amp needs some kind of digital 'turn on' signal which is why the stock h/u cannot be removed and simply replaced...the harness you referred me to doesn't seem to have any digital processor associated with it.

Which seems to be the difference between the harness you referred me to and this one (which is much more expensive): http://cgi.ebay.com/2001-2006-TOYOTA...QQcmdZViewItem

This one which I've also seen on the Circuit City website claims to provide a digital interface to the factory amp and allows 'complete integration' for aftermarket h/u's. This harness is from a company called axxess...but I've seen another by searching from Metra (part no. tyto-01):

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Metra...oductDetail.do

Anyone have any experience with these two harnesses/interfaces that they can share?

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm confused...thanks for your time and assistance!

Last edited by greenwave81; 01-07-2007 at 07:36 AM.
Old 01-07-2007, 11:22 AM

Alright, I am still in the ancient year w/ analog amplifier that toyota used to have. sorry the misinformtions

Just did some research and found that the new JBL system uses DATABUS (digital signal) to turn on the amp.

Two choices:

1. to retain JBL amp, use the adapter you linked.
2. to bypass JBL amp, use metra harness 70-8117. This bypasses the amp and connect straight to your alpine. cost about 20-30. the down side to it is that youll lose your subwoofer, if you have one.
Old 01-07-2007, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by profuse007
Alright, I am still in the ancient year w/ analog amplifier that toyota used to have. sorry the misinformtions

Just did some research and found that the new JBL system uses DATABUS (digital signal) to turn on the amp.

Two choices:

1. to retain JBL amp, use the adapter you linked.
2. to bypass JBL amp, use metra harness 70-8117. This bypasses the amp and connect straight to your alpine. cost about 20-30. the down side to it is that youll lose your subwoofer, if you have one.
Thanks, that's what I thought....

Using the adapter I linked would make keeping the stock h/u 'in line' and hiding it somewhere else inside the vehicle unnecessary...and this is what I was worried about.

I hope the TYTO-01 harness/adapter performs as advertised!

Anyone out there with any experience with it's use????
Old 01-10-2007, 08:17 PM

Just wanted to let anyone who is debating using the Metra Digital integration harness that I had it and an Alpine 9856 installed today, and it works great!

I'm getting a bit more bass than with the original h/u and the sound is excellent....I suppose that some would say that it 'can't get loud enough', but it maxes out plenty loud enough for me.

So, there is an alternative to bypassing the factory amp set up for Toyota's with the JBL Synthesis system, if that is not what you want to do (like me).

Perhaps I'll start a thread with some pics and stuff...there doesn't seem to be much on the internet regarding people that have used this 'new' harness....

Thanks to all for the advice and information!