Vehicle Audio & Home Entertainment Discussions here pertain to vehicle stereo systems and home entertainment systems

1st Gen Satellite Antenna Install

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2005, 06:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1st Gen Satellite Antenna Install

All,

I'm purchasing a new Kenwood head unit and will be getting Sirius. My question is, has anyone installed the antenna in a 1st gen 4Runner? I guess this would apply to 1st gen trucks as well because the obvious spot would be on the cab, through the windshield.

Any thoughts, pictures, opinions, rants, money is greatly appreciated . . .

Justin
Old 03-22-2005, 09:55 AM

Bump . . no love for the 1st gen with 4th gen technology??
Old 03-23-2005, 09:16 AM

i dont know what the 1st gens look like.. but ill give her a go.

i do sattelite radios everyday at work.
the best spot to mount the antennae would be on the top of the cab directly in the middle.

what i do, is i mount the antennaes on the ouside of the vehicle, on top of the cab right in the middle.. but as far forward to the front windsheild as you can get it. then just peel the rubber side up from the windsheild trim and CAREFULLY stuff the antennae in (hiding and securing it).

i have a 94 T100.. and i was unable to peel the windsheild trim up at the top of the windsheild because of the design.. so what i did is i mounted it on the drivers side up front of the cab. i was able to hide the antennae wire along side teh windsheild.. it might look kinda dorky not being centered.. but it still works.

i just sneak it down the side of the windsheild, and through the door jam. you will see a little bit of the wire.. if this bothers you then just do it on the passengers side.

be extremely careful running the antennae as it is a fiber optic line which means you cannot cut it, splice it, or even bend it very sharp.
do not cut your extra wire! roll it up and zip tie it to something under the dash where it will not be pulled or moved.

sorry i donthave pictures.. hoepfully you can understand my instructions. ill get a digital camera with next paycheck and show pics of how i did my stereo.
Old 03-31-2005, 06:08 AM

Thanks for the reply. My windshield trim on my '85 is solid plastic (I think). I can't get it to budge and I don't want to snap it off.

Do you think it would be possible to run the cable between the removable top and the cab? There is sufficient weather stripping there and that's how most exterior satellite antennas get mounted. Or will this crush the cable?

Justin