The Fab Shop Tube buggies, armor protection and anything else that requires cutting, welding, or custom fab work

Volcom's new roll cage

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 11:49 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Volcom:
With the kind of wheeling I had seen pictures of you doing I figured you already had a cage

Scotty: as always your work is outstanding. Very tight to the body/interior, losing a minimum amount of interior space I like what you did with the center mounted "Oh Poop" handle. Gives someone a great hand hold but it is not out in front to whack a head on in a sudden stop.
I think I may borrow that idea and PM the guy doing my Trekker cage

edit: curious what the little red thing was on one of the left side bars (above back seat)?

Last edited by dropzone; 06-30-2009 at 02:24 PM. Reason: random thought
Old 06-30-2009, 12:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Why dont you come on out and help me with mine now Looks good

And you both with your 90+ weather... Keep it out there! I cant take the sun execpt what it brings out or should I say off of the ladies
Old 06-30-2009, 09:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ocdropzone
Volcom:
With the kind of wheeling I had seen pictures of you doing I figured you already had a cage

edit: curious what the little red thing was on one of the left side bars (above back seat)?
Yup, no cage. Not the smartest decision I've made. Glad I wasn't hurt over the last 3 years of wheeling without any type of cage. I wouldn't recommend it.

That little red thing is a little notch tool to mark where the notches need to go on the tube. We actually didn't use it but somehow made it's way on the cage
Old 07-01-2009, 08:48 PM

More cage pictures!

CU BUFF 4Runner wire wheeling the welds before paint

We also cleaned up the floor with the wire wheel to get ready for some DIY Herculiner bed liner.

Dash speader bar just barely cuts off the bottom portion of the guages.

A pillar floor mount. All the floor mounts are .25" x 5" steel plate.

B pillar floor plate. We tucked the B pillar hoop back to maximize space to get into the rear seats.

C pillar mounts on top of the tubs to clear the big tires.

Dash speader bar and an awesome grab handle.

All the triangle tube gussets came out perfect!

Rear view of the cage and the D pillar floor mounts.

With the tailgate closed.
Old 07-01-2009, 10:11 PM

So can you still fold the rear seat up and down easily?

Whats the story behind the rear tubbed fenders? Lots of flex with minimal clearance?
Old 07-01-2009, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by desertcamper67

Whats the story behind the rear tubbed fenders? Lots of flex with minimal clearance?
I'm guessing the tires on there are his street tires, normally he has 39.5'' IROKS according to his sig...so he'd need the clearance.
Old 07-02-2009, 06:03 AM

I'm not sure on the back seat, I haven't had a chance to reinstall it. I wanted to Herculine the entire 4Runner tub before I put all the stuff back in. I'm guessing that the bottom of the seat might fold 90 degrees up but not forward and the rear of the seat will fold down but will be hitting the seat bottom. I knew the rear seats were not going to operate their normal way when we were designing the cage. If I need the space, worst case is I'll take the seats out.

Originally Posted by 89silverpu
I'm guessing the tires on there are his street tires, normally he has 39.5'' IROKS according to his sig...so he'd need the clearance.
Bingo!

Old 07-02-2009, 07:28 AM

Those are his street tires. He runs 39.5" Iroks normally.

Seats will not longer fold all the way down with a full cage. The B pillar stops that in all rigs. You can still fold the seat back forward, but they will no longer lay flat. Small price to pay for the safety of you and your family though.
Old 07-02-2009, 08:41 AM

Okay, I can see everything now. Gotcha.

Looks like fun!
Old 07-02-2009, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by Volcom

Dash speader bar and an awesome grab handle.
man, the cage work looks great!

my only concern is that 'awesome grab handle'. i've been in both low speed roll overs and high speed impacts with a cage. in both cases, you have very little control over where your body goes with the amount of force of a roll over or impact. my point is that your front window, steering wheel, and dash are going to feel soft compared to eating that grab handle. you have enough hard steel out there with the spreader bar but adding another 'bubble' of steel to contact seems kinda dangerous compared to the benefits of an 'awesome grab handle'. i had a friend in a roll over cut the top of his ear off because he had hung his cb 8" away from his head on the top of the cage. it just isnt safe to have things in your potential path of travel.

if it were me, i'd cut that out, pad the front spreader as well as you can and get some five point harnesses to limit your body's movement in the event of an impact...that or wear a full face helmet every time you drive you runner. jk BUT, all this is my couch wheeling $0.02.
Old 07-02-2009, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by idayota
man, the cage work looks great!

my only concern is that 'awesome grab handle'. i've been in both low speed roll overs and high speed impacts with a cage. in both cases, you have very little control over where your body goes with the amount of force of a roll over or impact. my point is that your front window, steering wheel, and dash are going to feel soft compared to eating that grab handle. you have enough hard steel out there with the spreader bar but adding another 'bubble' of steel to contact seems kinda dangerous compared to the benefits of an 'awesome grab handle'. i had a friend in a roll over cut the top of his ear off because he had hung his cb 8" away from his head on the top of the cage. it just isnt safe to have things in your potential path of travel.

if it were me, i'd cut that out, pad the front spreader as well as you can and get some five point harnesses to limit your body's movement in the event of an impact...that or wear a full face helmet every time you drive you runner. jk BUT, all this is my couch wheeling $0.02.
I've been involved in a 2.5 slow barrel roll and a high speed 5.5 barrel roll down a 100ft ravine. That grab handle saves your ass IMO. It keeps you from reaching up and grabbing an upper bar in a roll. In both rolls, I never even got close to that bar. Its actually down and out of the way. The upper bars will be padded and its up to Aaron to run harnesses if he wants.

I agree with you on the guys that mount the CB up there. I've seen some pretty bad pics of earless people because of where they mount their CBs.
Old 07-02-2009, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by ScottyC
I've been involved in a 2.5 slow barrel roll and a high speed 5.5 barrel roll down a 100ft ravine. That grab handle saves your ass IMO. It keeps you from reaching up and grabbing an upper bar in a roll. In both rolls, I never even got close to that bar. Its actually down and out of the way. The upper bars will be padded and its up to Aaron to run harnesses if he wants.

I agree with you on the guys that mount the CB up there. I've seen some pretty bad pics of earless people because of where they mount their CBs.
i agree...grabbing for something in front of you is far and away safer than grabbing for something above you (and outside of the vehicle)...it is merely a suggestion. on front impacts (and especially wheeling impacts that are not direct head on) there is just so much forward force you won't always have time (nor the fortitude) to grab for that handle. in fact, i would be afraid of reaching for anything in some cases. an uncle of mine broke both his arms as he put them out in front of him wheeling a cj2a. if it were me, i'd invest in one of those soft, nylon strap grab handles if you wanted something out there to snag. but again, it's all opinion.

for what it is worth, i love the cage. very nice work.
Old 07-02-2009, 02:50 PM

The grab handle is so far away I don't think it is physically possible to hit it, unless you don't have your seatbelt on.
Old 07-02-2009, 08:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Scott, Very nice work on that cage. Looks like the new shop is treating you well. I know Ryan with the white runner is looking forward to getting his cage in. Keep up the good work!
Old 07-07-2009, 06:20 PM

The new cage looks awesome! I look forward to checking out in person soon.
Old 05-22-2010, 12:20 PM

i know im resurrecting but i absolutely love the cage design
Old 05-22-2010, 12:49 PM

Where are you in Greenly? I'm in Frisco and I'm looking to do a flat bed/roll cage on my 86' pick up. Send me a PM with some info buddy!
Old 05-22-2010, 02:00 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
VERY VERY NICE WORK!!
My only issue is you don't live closer to northern CA.
Old 05-22-2010, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by 86bedlesstoy
Where are you in Greenly? I'm in Frisco and I'm looking to do a flat bed/roll cage on my 86' pick up. Send me a PM with some info buddy!
All my contact info is here:
www.addictedoffroad.com