The Fab Shop Tube buggies, armor protection and anything else that requires cutting, welding, or custom fab work

Thaught i would show my remote turbo setup.

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 09:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thaught i would show my remote turbo setup.

Sorry if this is not where this should be, i figured fab would be the best place for this. I was planning on doing an snorkel setup on my yota when i blew up my z for the only god knows how many time. So i changed gears and over the weekend spent a couple hours doing a remote turbo for my pickup. I wanted to do a remote setup because i wanted to keep it out of boost untill i realy needed it. I have to say, i did not think it was going to work AT ALL, im new to carbs and didnt know for sure but i did it anyways out of boredom and well, it works great i can get her up to about 4-5 psi without any problems. now i just have to finish the remote oil setup and run the intake to somewhere usefull.

heres some pics of the setup

heres my yota just sitting there
Old 04-10-2008, 10:05 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
wow thats a setup. lol good job. does it make a good power diff?? i mean i no turbos do but??
Old 04-10-2008, 10:06 AM

That looks sweet, and its behind that cab in the box?
Old 04-10-2008, 10:28 AM

Yeah, it does help. The truck was so gutless to start with so anything would help but it helped a hell of alot more than i thought it would. Since im using the stock carb it runs out of fuel at about 5 grand but before then its a hell of a diff. And yes, its sitting in the bed right inside the little useless area in front of the wheel well behind the drivers side. It sounds amazing if you were wondering, having a turbo spooling right behind you.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:45 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Very cool idea. BUT, the under truck exhaust location leaves a lot to be desired. ROCK ANCHOR.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This may sound dumb but are you running it right now with out a oil feed or return?

Jeremy
Old 04-10-2008, 10:55 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Wheelingnoob
This may sound dumb but are you running it right now with out a oil feed or return?

Jeremy
I was wondering the same thing, but I bet he had some kind of remote reservoir and pump set up going or he would have fried it pretty fast.
Old 04-10-2008, 11:01 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Wheelingnoob

Jeremy
Originally Posted by zlathim
I was wondering the same thing, but I bet he had some kind of remote reservoir and pump set up going or he would have fried it pretty fast.
Read his original post.

He states right in it that he has to finish his remote oil set up.
Old 04-10-2008, 11:03 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by AxleIke
Very cool idea. BUT, the under truck exhaust location leaves a lot to be desired. ROCK ANCHOR.
Actually I think the pipe you see along the outside of the frame rail is the turbo boosted output side going back up to the engine bay.

pretty wild set-up IMO you could even cut in an inline intercooler along the edge there but with that distance it's probably pretty cool already by the time it gets to the carb.
Old 04-10-2008, 11:08 AM

thats the charge piping, if your talking about what you can see from the side, its the best place i could run it so it wasnt running right next to the exhaust. the exhaust is just a 2 1/2 pipe welded to the collector of the factory manifold. that spirals up and over the frame into the truck bed. BUT if your talking about the downpipe (which is an up-pipe on this app) that points straight up then sir you are correct. i hate it but itgs been snowing and raining all week here.

heres the first part of the exhaust

this is the part that curves up

and this is the part that goes over and up to the bed
Old 04-10-2008, 11:18 AM

For those who are interested in this application, check out Squires Turbo Systems (STSTurbo.com). They have applications for the 3.4.
Old 04-10-2008, 11:22 AM

Read his original post.

Yes I know meaning that it was maybe not installed yet? Thats why I asked, a turbo will live for only a very short amount of time with out oil or a good oil flow, min if not seconds.

Last edited by Wheelingnoob; 04-10-2008 at 11:23 AM.
Old 04-10-2008, 12:12 PM

right now, with money tight and the weather not allowing much leaway, im being an idiot and i dont have a oil circulation system for it YET. but i am keeping oil it it, i have changed the oil in the turbo 3 times, and i have driven it only 4 or 5 times with the turbo.
Old 04-10-2008, 12:14 PM

oh and that turbo is pretty tough, it just came out of my 84 z that i have over $35,000 in and was pushing that car to over 480whp and well ovcer 500flb of torque, that includes seeing temps in excess of 1200 degrees. then again it was oil lubed and coolant cooled in the z.
Old 04-10-2008, 12:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
nice i was looking at a system like yours but i would smash it up to bad
Old 04-10-2008, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by Dustin Songer
oh and that turbo is pretty tough, it just came out of my 84 z that i have over $35,000 in and was pushing that car to over 480whp and well ovcer 500flb of torque, that includes seeing temps in excess of 1200 degrees. then again it was oil lubed and coolant cooled in the z.
I have to say that that turbo no mater what kind of car it came out of or how much power it was making. No oil circulation is going to kill that turbo fast! I have worked with turbos for 15 years and worked at a shop specialized in turbo rebuilds and high performance. The number 1 killer of turbos is oil flow or contamination. There is no way for that turbo to dissipate any of the heat that will build up in the CHRA. Even in a remote mount setup you will have heat from the exhaust and the friction on the turbo its self.

That turbo looks like a stock garrett T3 super 60 am I right? If so that turbo must be getting pushed very hard on the Z to make the power you say it makes. A super 60 is only rated at 35lb/min flow, now on a very good day you may get 370hp out of it. Any more than that you are pushing that turbo far beyond what it can flow and all that is doing is making heat. Also to be only getting 1200f EGT you must have that probe after the turbo that or running high timing and a fat A/F.

Good luck with the set up but I would spend a bit of $$ now to save a lot later.

Jeremy

Last edited by Wheelingnoob; 04-10-2008 at 01:58 PM.
Old 04-10-2008, 01:58 PM

One other thing, in that first picture it looks like you do not have a Vac line hooked up to the waste gate accuator. Is that just a picture of the intall half done? If not how much boost are you running on that thing??

Jeremy
Old 04-10-2008, 03:21 PM

right, i know its horible for it, like i said i have only driven a couple times and thats only for maybe 2 blocks. and as far as the z is concerned that was done with only 19-20 psi. i hate the rating of turbos for horsepower, my z was a 3 litre with 9:1 compression, and with my haltech we could pull everything out of it we could. The egt sensor was after the turbo.

and, yes, as far as you can see, that is what the turbo looks like but it is not. The compressor housing is bored out to take much larger compressor blade and the exhaust was bored out to take a much larger turbine. I dont know the exact specs, cuz i bought it for 200 bucks to test and tune the z. the only reason it stayed on there so long was because it worked so much better than anyone expected. I expected to see 16 psi at the most with the useable pressure maxing out around 14 psi. Trust me, the second i can, i am going to be putting in a oil system just for the turbo. oh and no i havent hooked up the wastegate yet, the most boost i have seen on the truck is 5 and i had to keep my foot in it to get that high so at the most ill see.
Old 04-10-2008, 03:27 PM

but i do have to thank you. its always good to hear people who know what they are talking about. and as far as the oil cdirculation is concerned, do you know of any electric oil pumps that could handle this, i was figuring on just going to a tractor supply place and see what they have but if anyone knows of anything better i would ove to know of it.

Dustin
Old 04-11-2008, 07:52 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Read his original post.

Thanks Ike, but I did read his original post. As he said later he was only filling the turbo with oil to test it. I could see that he had the oil hole blocked in his original post, but I figured that he would have smoked the turbo for sure if he ran it at all without oil circulation.

Quick Reply: Thaught i would show my remote turbo setup.