The Fab Shop Tube buggies, armor protection and anything else that requires cutting, welding, or custom fab work

rear suspension build to match front

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 06:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question rear suspension build to match front

So i am currently building an 89 runner that has an old superlift spring setup with 7" in front and 6" rears with a block...eghh....

Dilemma: wanting to do one of two things...

1. remove rear spring pack and block and replace with a longer spring from mc or similar...but most manufacturers only offer said longer spring in a 5" spring...will this give me a noticeable dip? or rear sag?

2. replace complete rear suspension with a linked setup much like the the tg 3 link with panhard bar...and use some TJ front springs ive had laying around for a while....i think they are for an 8" lift application... just dont know what will be most effective concerning usable flex and being able to match the front well, height-wise.

SUGGESTIONS?
Old 11-11-2008, 06:16 PM

Is this because you want to get rid of the block? Is it just a 1inch? If so I wouldn't change it.
Otherwise, a link suspension would be the best in my opinion, but with a good quick disconnect swaybar (could get a little tippy on the road).
Old 11-11-2008, 06:23 PM

i would have to say the block is taller than just an inch...im thinking it is a compilation of block and degree shim....its just a hassle wiping the slate clean and starting over; i.e. erasing someones mistake and building it the RIGHT way. I guess i would need to find out the exact height of the block when i get home tonight...im guessing a ubolt flip and correct spring perch angles being welded onto the axle, along with a longer 5" spring from marlin using the shackle i have now would do the trick for minimal $$...but i would PREFER to link the rear and get rid of the leaves all together...but maybe one step at a time....
Old 11-16-2008, 03:45 PM

do the 63 inch chevy swap w/ a block if you still want the height...i got about 4 inches on my 1st gen with 63's and 10 inch eye to eye shackles.....besides there is no reason for your truck to be that big unless all you are doin is playing in the mud! how big are your tires????
Old 11-19-2008, 09:43 AM

yeah yeah....that picture is with the body lift still installed, which is gone now...and im going down to some 37x14 iroks...the tires on it presently are some 39.5x18 bald boggers....like riding on 2x4's...like i said earlier...it was just a huge ass truck that never was taken offroad...i basically bought someone's mistake and am using it as a solid base to build a trail only rig....sas was done right....and the front flexes pretty well (ill get some pics i have up here soon)...so im pretty much set on using an all-pro 6inch spring with a johnny joint shackle hanger out rear...will move my axle back to the center of the wheel well where it should be....

might consider some 38's tho.....just depends on the mood im in when i get some tires....the 37 iroks are really just a 36.4 and a 38.5 sx is around a true 38.4....so like i said ill get some recent pics up that dont make it look like such a monster truck.

-scott-
Old 11-19-2008, 10:22 AM

Cool finally some pics

ok so here are some pics with the body lift taken off...bumper welded in place...and repainted...rattle can style...youll see how the rear flexes about as much as a 1/4 plate.

those chrome steps are now gone...thank goodness..

with body lift still in place

day she came home

pics do not include diff armor and truss that were welded on day after

all in all alright "poser pics"
Old 11-19-2008, 11:31 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ummmm ... can you say "whack shackle angle"? Surprised you don't flip the shackle all the time!

Oh, and IMHO, swapping springs is not a "build".
Old 11-19-2008, 11:43 AM

whacky shackles indeed
Old 11-19-2008, 11:48 AM

x3... ill bet it rides like a square wheeled wagon
Old 11-19-2008, 02:00 PM

no duh you idiots....did i ever say anything about just doing the rear springs? or shackles....just gotta have something to hate on dont you you...considering ive done more in 3 weeks than yall have in 3 years...im not concerned...and yes it does ride like its on 2X4's ...but its not a daily driver, and the rear is not going to stay that way, thus the reason for the post....oh and for the shackle to flip inside of the spring arch the spring would have to undergo catastrophic failure and bend against itself....yes its ugly....but its not staying that way. And its not just a plug and play replacement of the spring...its 9" longer...mounts have to be moved around.

suggestions to my original post and not some stupid flippant response would be appreciated...

-scott-

Last edited by scottapher; 11-19-2008 at 04:59 PM.
Old 11-19-2008, 05:01 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Call up Alcan Spring, they can build you whatever height lift spring you want, just give them the specs:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/4R_suspe...gerRearSprings
Old 11-19-2008, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by scottapher
no duh you idiots....did i ever say anything about just doing the rear springs? or shackles....just gotta have something to hate on dont you you...
Ok, idiot (you said it first), calm down. i think we we're just commenting on an aspect your ride. if you can't hang with some criticism then don't put pix up.

BTW, i do remember saying that the SAS was done properly.
....sas was done right....and the front flexes pretty well
based on your confession and our observations, you know those are some obtuse shackle angles.

sorry for posting an observation you didn't want to read on your thread

Last edited by yotasavg; 11-19-2008 at 05:32 PM.
Old 11-19-2008, 05:45 PM

no duh you idiots....did i ever say anything about just doing the rear springs? or shackles....just gotta have something to hate on dont you you...considering ive done more in 3 weeks than yall have in 3 years...im not concerned...and yes it does ride like its on 2X4's ...but its not a daily driver, and the rear is not going to stay that way, thus the reason for the post....oh and for the shackle to flip inside of the spring arch the spring would have to undergo catastrophic failure and bend against itself....yes its ugly....but its not staying that way. And its not just a plug and play replacement of the spring...its 9" longer...mounts have to be moved around.

suggestions to my original post and not some stupid flippant response would be appreciated...

-scott-
Sounds like someones having a bad day
Old 11-19-2008, 05:50 PM

haha ooook im sorry yes i have had quite the bitchy day, but when nothing original or beyond the obvious is stated when a question is given, 3x over, it goes beyond the humorous tongue and cheek into the "i have nothing better to say than to try to get a leg up on this person who is trying to get positive feedback"...

and YES I did say the front flexes nicely as compared to the rear....actually the rear is holding the front up in capability...

...forgive me for my quickness to arms...especially being a new member i grow tired of people passive-aggressively having nothing of value to say....pirate come to mind?

SOOOOOOOOO.....what do yall think about going with a 6inch leaf, 9" longer, and playing with the spring hanger locations, as well as the rear shackle hanger location to give a quality cycle of suspension....WITHOUT a dangerously vertical shackle..haha

yeah i could call up alcan....what do you think i would be spending in comparison with a custom spring as compared to going with marlin or all pro?...i guess i can just call...thx for reminding me of that 4crawler

-scott-

Last edited by scottapher; 11-19-2008 at 05:54 PM.
Old 11-19-2008, 09:26 PM

haha ooook im sorry yes i have had quite the bitchy day, but when nothing original or beyond the obvious is stated when a question is given, 3x over, it goes beyond the humorous tongue and cheek into the "i have nothing better to say than to try to get a leg up on this person who is trying to get positive feedback"...

and YES I did say the front flexes nicely as compared to the rear....actually the rear is holding the front up in capability...

...forgive me for my quickness to arms...especially being a new member i grow tired of people passive-aggressively having nothing of value to say....pirate come to mind?

SOOOOOOOOO.....what do yall think about going with a 6inch leaf, 9" longer, and playing with the spring hanger locations, as well as the rear shackle hanger location to give a quality cycle of suspension....WITHOUT a dangerously vertical shackle..haha

yeah i could call up alcan....what do you think i would be spending in comparison with a custom spring as compared to going with marlin or all pro?...i guess i can just call...thx for reminding me of that 4crawler

-scott-
Yes
Old 11-20-2008, 04:33 AM
tc
Contributing Member

...considering ive done more in 3 weeks than yall have in 3 years...
You've done a dual case swap, a total front suspension rebuild and a custom 4 link for the rear? In 3 weeks? WOW!

-scott-
Here, I'll be a little less subtle. The shackle angle IS your problem. It's why it rides rough and why it doesn't flex worth anything. If you can weld, (and it sounds like you can) it's FREE to fix that problem! Put in a longer shackle to keep the height the same.

As for the springs, custom Alcans are priced quite reasonably (unless you go with Orbiteyes). You need to send in the axle weights, lift, etc to get an estimate, but I think you will be surprised to see how competitive they are to "off the shelf" "one size fits all" springs.
Old 11-20-2008, 05:19 AM

yeah the shackles are ridiculously long as it is...im not worried about it sitting just perfect because ill eventually have the hardtop removed permanently switched with a soft, so that will clear up some weight in the back...what will happen is ill just make sure the rear shackle hanger is relocated in such a way that it gives me a much better shackle angle along with a longer spring....that should do the trick....

thx for your input....much appreciated

-scott-
Old 11-20-2008, 07:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
At least you covered up the 80's looking paintjob?

Looks much better in flat black.
Old 11-20-2008, 07:32 PM

Hey Scottapher It sounds like you will have this figured out in no time. But mostly I want to say that you have every right to get a little pissy when people are raggin on your rig. If people want to criticize then they should be ok with their comments being pissed on. Any way, that is just my two cents.
Old 11-25-2008, 02:55 PM

hey thanks for the input....i agree that not everyone's opinion is the same as everyone else's...now if i were doing something dangerous or overly stupid i would understand sharp, lashing criticism.....but anyways to each his own.....

and my choice is.......

a 4 link in the rear...gas tank moved up top....and coils in rear.....

all components are ordered and en route....

should have a good "BUILD" of the rear in a couple weeks...holidays might throw a wrench in my plans timewise...

so you can have your wack shackle angle...ill go shackle-less

-scott-

Quick Reply: rear suspension build to match front