The Fab Shop Tube buggies, armor protection and anything else that requires cutting, welding, or custom fab work

Custom Built Heavy Duty Bumpers?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2015, 04:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone ever built their own bumper?
Old 06-01-2015, 05:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am about to build one that will house a winch and carry off into tube style fenders and hopefully an exoskeleton
Old 06-01-2015, 08:41 PM

I was suggested to build my own idk how and I don't have the right tools. I can't even find one I like
Old 06-02-2015, 08:00 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Yota.Jay
I was suggested to build my own idk how and I don't have the right tools. I can't even find one I like
Seems to me you need to buy one unless you plan to buy the tools you need and do the research to learn how. With a little searching, you can find several bumper build threads.
Old 06-02-2015, 08:27 AM

You interested in plate bumpers or tube bumpers? There are a lot of designs ether way to work off of.
Old 06-02-2015, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by bump530
Seems to me you need to buy one unless you plan to buy the tools you need and do the research to learn how. With a little searching, you can find several bumper build threads.
I was suggested to make one because no one makes one for my vehicle. I can weld and have welding tools
Old 06-02-2015, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by wberry85
You interested in plate bumpers or tube bumpers? There are a lot of designs ether way to work off of.
Platell bumpers. The heavy duty rigid looking kind
Old 06-02-2015, 08:57 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I was suggested to make one because no one makes one for my vehicle. I can weld and have welding tools
Im assuming you have a 86-95 truck or 4runner since your posting in this section. They do make plate bumpers for them. Although, like you mentioned earlier, you may not like them.

There are a few good plate bumper builds on here. Redeth built a pretty nice plate bumper for his.
Old 06-02-2015, 12:44 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
if you can weld and have tools, then make one yourself. it'll likely be cheaper and you get what you want. there are only a small handful of plate style bumpers for the 86-95 rigs, ARB, TJM and Addicted Offroad are the ones that come to mind

there are things that can simplify the build, such as the Trail Gear winch plate base and the Addicted Offroad front crossmember reinforcement plates. even a few companies that make their bumpers as a DIY weld kit.

for doing it yourself look at lots of bumper pics, even those on different vehicles, and get inspired on your design. google and bing images have lots of pics for inspiration. also there are many threads on just bumpers, like over on Pirate4x4, etc.

use chipboard cardboard or similar material to make a simple template for your steel plates. transfer these over to 3/16" plate steel and cut them out with your tool of choice. tack it all together, add in some gussets/reinforcements, test fit and if it's all good weld it all up slowly to keep things from warping. fairly simple process, just takes time.
Old 06-02-2015, 04:05 PM

Here my welder

Not sure where to go from here. I have a design in my head. Not sure how to put it out on paper. Maybe you guys can help?

Last edited by Yota.Jay; 06-02-2015 at 04:31 PM.
Old 06-03-2015, 02:17 PM

LOL, the welding rods are for ARC welder and you won't be able to use them with the flux mig you have. the fluxcore mig will be fine actually and with flux you can get a hotter weld too for more penetration out of the little welder. only downside is much much more cleanup work, but that's fine.

i've built a few bumpers in the past with only a Lincoln ARC and a small Lincoln flux mig and it was very strong. now that i have access to proper welders I haven't done any fab stuff, go figure.

for your design, draw it up on paper and see if it might work out. the more you draw it or even use some cardboard to mock-up the piece, you'll know significantly more about the engineering of it and whether or not you can actually make it with your skillset. I would advise you to start looking at and collecting many pics of different bumpers. essentially, the mounting is the same on all of them and you can start there. make your design simple yet strong and functional. find pics of people's bumpers in progress as they build them, or of the back-side of the bumper - you will see all the mounting points as well as gusseting and reinforcement areas. heck you can even copy the same mounts and external styling of a commercially produced bumper too.

Simplest bumpers are those made from steel already in the shape you need, like C-channel or rectangle tube for example - which is why you see it commonly used on bumpers, especially the rear since you can leave it a straight piece and just put mounts and gussets on the back side. if doing a front bumper with a dog-leg on each side, you can simply cut wedges, bend, then re-weld the seam.

if your welds all look like poo (and they will with the fluxcore), grab a grinder and go at it with your disc of choice, then follow up with a DA sander.
Old 06-03-2015, 02:22 PM

Well thanks guys. Maybe it will work out. Ill get some cardboard and start mapping it out. I like how the bottom bumper looks on this trucks. The tops not so much.

I like how this one wraps around the lights...maybe I could make a mock design of that.
Old 06-07-2015, 01:37 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Truth be told if you figure your time ( As you don`t work for free) figure in materials consumables it will be more expensive then a production built one.

Building one of a kind always is.

But you get just what you want .

For your first one keep it simple.

*** If you do work for free I can keep you busy!!!!
Old 06-08-2015, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
Truth be told if you figure your time ( As you don`t work for free) figure in materials consumables it will be more expensive then a production built one.

Building one of a kind always is.

But you get just what you want .

For your first one keep it simple.

*** If you do work for free I can keep you busy!!!!

your telling me it's going to cost more to build then to buy one off line. I can't even find one for my year model truck (87)
Old 06-09-2015, 04:05 PM

i think he means it'll cost more when you calculate cost of materials + your labor. can't really think of any plate bumpers for your gen truck.

simplest, cheapest, and best looking bumper i would suggest you buy a TG winch plate for $150 and expand off of it. it saves the engineering and headache involved with figuring out how to mount the bumper - just bolt it on, make a template for the rest and start tacking them on. the rest of the bumper can be made from probably $50 in steel plate.

here's a really good example of what you can do. very simple design. it's what i'd like to put on my truck someday:

stupid simple design. all it is is the TG center winch mount and 6 angular pieces of plate welded to it. from here you can add bull bar or light mounts, cut holes in it for lights, add a beefed crossmember support (ex: lowrangeoffroad) or whatever you want. grind all your welds flush and follow up with a DA sander and you can't really tell it was made from individual plates vs bent.

heck, this is almost a template to follow:

another based on the TG winch plate:
Old 06-09-2015, 04:11 PM

actually...here you go:

lots of good bumpers with similar design in this thread: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/toyot...-design-2.html

but more important for you inside that thread are these (same bumper pictured in my last post):
Name:  rei2.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  37.8 KB
Name:  reinforcmentplate.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  42.6 KB

Name:  bumperdes.jpg
Views: 424
Size:  46.0 KB
Name:  DSC03104.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  75.6 KB
and another awesome one
Name:  4d29186f.jpg
Views: 391
Size:  101.3 KB
Old 06-09-2015, 07:54 PM

I thought about buying a tube bumper and building off of that.

not sure what he means by paying myself. cost of material shouldn't be close to $1000?
Old 06-09-2015, 10:53 PM

You could still do the tube bumper and build from it. Here's a guy that put diamond plate on a TG tube bumper: https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/...bumper.289655/
Old 06-10-2015, 12:51 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

I am sorry you don`t understand.

Time is money .

If I am working on my projects it means I am not able to work on customer work.

So when I work on my projects it costs me $60.00 /hour plus consumables .

I have to figure that into work I do for myself
Old 06-11-2015, 11:55 AM

Ive been wanting to put a off road type bumper on my 90 4runner. If I do, does a brace need to be put behind the bumper before its mounted or will the stock screws and mounts be sufficient?

Quick Reply: Custom Built Heavy Duty Bumpers?