The Fab Shop Tube buggies, armor protection and anything else that requires cutting, welding, or custom fab work

1985 Waggoneer Front Axle??

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2004, 03:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1985 Waggoneer Front Axle??

I've got one here locally I can get for probably $50 with little to now rust and in good working condition. Will this work on my 1997 4runner?

Chris
Old 12-08-2004, 05:30 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ravencr
I've got one here locally I can get for probably $50 with little to now rust and in good working condition. Will this work on my 1997 4runner?

Chris
Um, thought you were all about ifs?
Old 12-08-2004, 05:34 PM

I like my IFS, because it never ceases to amaze me. But, I beleive there's only three things holding me up from running all the trails at Tellico:

1) Front Locker
2) More height
3) More front flex

I've decided that locking the front end of my IFS will never happen, because it's too weak. So, my only option is to SAS it for the added strength, but also for the added flex. In addition, after moving my gas tank, lengthening the rear links, doing my drivetrain lift, and raising it up about 6", it will be unstoppable. That's my plan, but if I do buy an axle, I want to make sure it's one of the better options for it.

Chris
Old 12-08-2004, 05:45 PM
Contributing Member

I like my IFS, because it never ceases to amaze me. But, I beleive there's only three things holding me up from running all the trails at Tellico:

1) Front Locker
2) More height
3) More front flex

I've decided that locking the front end of my IFS will never happen, because it's too weak. So, my only option is to SAS it for the added strength, but also for the added flex. In addition, after moving my gas tank, lengthening the rear links, doing my drivetrain lift, and raising it up about 6", it will be unstoppable. That's my plan, but if I do buy an axle, I want to make sure it's one of the better options for it.

Chris
Yep, I believe you're correct on all of the above. I hope you do it-that way I can ride those trails b/c mine will probably never see the likes of those trails . Anyway, did you pm the few guys that have gone sas on the board to see what they used? I know there are a million different versions of the 44 out there.
Old 12-08-2004, 05:54 PM

There are better experts on axles than me, but this sort of discussion makes me laugh.

When does front flex hold you back? I do wheel stands and it works fine. IFS does 99% of what 95% of people think it cannot.
Old 12-08-2004, 06:03 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Flygtenstein
There are better experts on axles than me, but this sort of discussion makes me laugh.

When does front flex hold you back? I do wheel stands and it works fine. IFS does 99% of what 95% of people think it cannot.
I've ridden with Chris a lot and I can vouch that he will try anything with his rig.
Old 12-08-2004, 06:11 PM
Banned

umm if you want ive got a toyota straight axle pm me
Old 12-09-2004, 04:32 AM

Well, there's two main reasons I can't run all the trails at Tellico for example: Height, and locked front end. I can't figure out a practicaly way to gain height and lock the front end that's not going to break all the time. If you have an idea, I'm all ears.

Chris

P.S. I agree that most of the people on this board never even get close the limits of their IFS, but if anyone has ever wheeled with me, they know I have on numerous occasions.
Old 12-09-2004, 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by redplastic2p3t
umm if you want ive got a toyota straight axle pm me
Really? What's the details on it?

Chris
Old 12-09-2004, 05:57 AM

Really? What's the details on it?

Chris
Steve said that the toy axle has a passenger side drop, and I need a driver's side drop. Oh well, but I think if this axle is in as good of shape as the owner described, $100 would be a great deal. Steve also said that I'll need to replace the carrier too. Does anyone know what the best route for this is? I'm very new to all this axle swapping stuff, not to mention ring and pinions, carrier swaps, and what lockers are available to me on this axle. Anyone?

Chris
Old 12-09-2004, 06:00 AM

Old Toys have the wrong side diff, Steve enlightened you.

The best carrier replacement is an ARB.

I have wheeled quite a bit with Steve on some hard trails. He has broken exactly one CV. It was not a catastrophic break and I still think it was a
fluke.

Run 35's with a nice low truck. When you break CV's every trip, start saving for CTM's.
Old 12-09-2004, 06:04 AM

The best carrier replacement is an ARB.

I have wheeled quite a bit with Steve on some hard trails. He has broken exactly one CV. It was not a catastrophic break and I still think it was a
fluke.

Run 35's with a nice low truck. When you break CV's every trip, start saving for CTM's.
Two things:

1) Is ARB my only option for this waggy axle?
2) What are CTM's?

I agree with running a nice and low truck for multiple reasons, but I can tell you that the main thing that hangs me up is high centering on my gas tank or my crossmembers. If I had an extra 4-6", it would make all the difference in the world, I think.

Chris
Old 12-09-2004, 08:18 AM

A Dana 44 has perhaps the widest selection of lockers available on the market. ARB Air Locker, Detroit Electrac, Detroit EZ Lockers, Detroit Lockers, Eaton ELocker, Powertrax Lock-Right, Full Spools, Mini Spools-

2) What are CTM's?

http://www.ctmracing.com/

they build billet U-Joints

My neighbor is running 1400HP thru CTM's on his alcohol blown Hemi. Yeah, It's got a Hemi in it! He had broken 1410's until he switched to CTM's
Old 12-09-2004, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by crawler#976

A Dana 44 has perhaps the widest selection of lockers available on the market. ARB Air Locker, Detroit Electrac, Detroit EZ Lockers, Detroit Lockers, Eaton ELocker, Powertrax Lock-Right, Full Spools, Mini Spools-
Cool! I'll check them each out and make my decision. Do you have any recommendations?

2) What are CTM's?

http://www.ctmracing.com/

they build billet U-Joints

My neighbor is running 1400HP thru CTM's on his alcohol blown Hemi. Yeah, It's got a Hemi in it! He had broken 1410's until he switched to CTM's
So, are these CTM's for my CV's as Adrian put it, or is this for U-joints for the D44 as their site mentions? I'm confused!

Chris
Old 12-09-2004, 11:24 AM

Cool! I'll check them each out and make my decision. Do you have any recommendations?So, are these CTM's for my CV's as Adrian put it, or is this for U-joints for the D44 as their site mentions? I'm confused!

Chris
I continually kick myself in the for not saving another $300.00 and getting an ARB instead of a Detroit for my front axle. Any type of selectable locker, of which you have several choices for a D44, would be my choice. Having the opportunity to turn on/off a locker makes steering so much better.

That said, I've gone to a full spool. A spool is cheap and bullet proof, but turning raduis suffers greatly. I will be getting a hydro assist system shortly to help with turning the pig...

Oh yeah, I forgot, the Ox Locker is available for a D44

The CTM's are for the Dana 44...

Last edited by crawler#976; 12-09-2004 at 12:28 PM.
Old 12-09-2004, 12:21 PM

Thanks again for the input! So, I guess all I have to decide is which selectable locker would be the strongest and most reliable.

Chris
Old 12-09-2004, 01:40 PM

What rig is this going under?

Are you going to run leafs?
Old 12-10-2004, 02:14 AM

Originally Posted by crash
What rig is this going under?

Are you going to run leafs?
It's going to go under my 1997 4runner, and will probably be leafs, but would love to run coilovers, ideally. I haven't seen one done with coilovers, though.

Chris
Old 12-10-2004, 03:22 AM
Contributing Member

It's going to go under my 1997 4runner, and will probably be leafs, but would love to run coilovers, ideally. I haven't seen one done with coilovers, though.

Chris
Go for it Chris! Have it done by the end of the month!
Old 12-10-2004, 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by dragr1
Go for it Chris! Have it done by the end of the month!
Yeah right! You know I don't have that kind of time, or money yet. I'm in the researching stage, and I'll probably slowly acquire parts as I go.

Chris

Quick Reply: 1985 Waggoneer Front Axle??