Post Your Tests Here Use this sectin for testing your signature files, and for testing pictures/avatars

1992 4Runner 3vze 4x4 Auto CODE 14 No Start

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2023, 04:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 1992 4Runner 3vze 4x4 Auto CODE 14 No Start

As the title says, 2nd gen 4runner 3VZE engine. (I will be attaching photos so you guys can verify I did the checks right. I need all the help I can get.)
Long story short, I was driving home 4 days ago when she just died on me. And not like turned off but, the ignition cycle cut out like 3 times, each time I had to come to a complete stop, put her in park and crank her over again, until the 4th time when I couldn't get her to start anymore. Power was still there but no ignition. Got her towed home, pulled the codes and came up with a Code 14, "IGF signal from igniter is not input to ECM for six (6) consecutive ignitions.".
The reason I'm posting this is because I need help. I've done everything. Before I even pulled the code I made sure she had Fuel, Air, Spark. No spark.

When I got home I checked timing, good. tested fuel pump, also good. Visually inspected grounds and wire harness, all good. Made sure my intake hoses and boxes weren't cracked, all good!
Pulled the code, Code 14.
First I got a new Igniter, No change.
Next thing, went back to the distributor, checked cap and rotor and gear. All good, just some normal wear, nothing out of the ordinary. Checked the specs in respect to the FSM. ONLY THING, air gap, less than .2mm! All resistances checked out though so I'll consider that okay.
Next, Checked Coil to Dizzy wire, within spec. (5.7k ohms) Still basically brand new so I'm not surprised.
Next, I checked the Coil, again, within spec.
Got another Igniter, No Change.
Just to be thorough, I changed the spark plugs, (was driving home initially to do it anyway), No Change.
I also made sure to check all the other spark plug wires going from the Dizzy to the plugs, and they are all good.
Next, I checked the IGF and IGT wires going from the Igniter to the ECM. 1ohm or less on both wires. I DID FIND continuity going from IGF going to the ECM but only when plugged into the ECM and when the key is in the ON position!!!
Otherwise, when I unplugged it from the ECM there was NO continuity and good Ohm for both wires!!
So I reset the ECM and NO CHANGE!
SO, I got ANOTHER Igniter and NO Change!! WTF!
So now I'm lost guys! Would I be right to assume that its been narrowed down to be only the ECM now? OR, would the airgap in the Dizzy that significant enough to shut down my whole car? For more info, the Distributor still spins when I turn her over and no unusual wear on either cap, rotor, or gears. No oil, no excess dust, and based on the FSM its within Spec aside the airgap!
Thanks in advance, and sorry for the long write-up.
PS: If you're wondering why I got multiple Igniters it's because I was watching a video on youtube where a guy was going through the same Code and mentioned how all the checks could be good and despite the Igniters being brand new they could still not be good. Thankfully I've been swapping out one with a lifetime warranty.

Distributor to Coil wire.

Distributor Checks

Distributor Checks

Distributor Checks

Coil checks

Coil Checks
Old 05-20-2023, 02:38 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Did you take it to a professional ?

Last edited by jeremy harp; 05-21-2023 at 03:35 AM.