Post Your Tests Here Use this sectin for testing your signature files, and for testing pictures/avatars

22re into 77 hilux swap

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2020, 04:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
22re into 77 hilux swap

Hi all,
I have recently picked up a 22re from a 95ish pickup and I am going to swap it into my 1977 rn25 in place of the old run down 12r. Is there anyone out there that has done a similar swap or has any tips for me? Any help appreciated

The truck came standard as a 4 speed column shift so Ive found a w50 5 speed from a 78 celica and I've found a bellhousing to fit between the two...

it looks like the oil pan of the stock 22re wont clear the steering link on my truck so I'm thinking I will have to use a oil pan and oil pickup from a 20r that's in the same model truck, or would a mid sump from a celica work? Here in New Zealand the 20r or 22r was never offered in the pre 79 pick ups so it may be difficult to find an oil pan in the country, so a celica might be the better option? What dipstick would I have to use?

Is there anything else I am missing or need to know for the swap?

The following users liked this post:
eldoradojim (06-15-2023)
Old 06-15-2023, 05:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
looks like no one replied to your thread....im doing the same swap in a 74 pickup now, i had ti find a mid sump pan from a celica....anyway,im sure yours is done by now since its been several years since you posted this....how did it turn out? was the wiring hard to do? im having trouble figuring out the wiring ....