Notices
Customer Feedback For Vendors Use this forum for feedback good or bad on vendor's & dealer's you have dealt with

BentUp.com & Breezy

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2004, 08:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BentUp.com & Breezy

OK... I guess I wasn't very clear, but I'm wondering more about the credibility of Breezy and BentUp. I know Breezy had some issues with a few people on the board because of a sale that went bad. Is he affiliated with BentUp... or just touting (sp?) one of their products?

Last edited by jacksonpt; 10-01-2004 at 09:20 AM.
Old 09-29-2004, 04:53 PM
Contributing Member

I e-mailed them last June with a simple question..."I see that you have bumpers for the later model Toyotas. Do you have anything for the 1st gen 4runner?"

I'm still waiting for an answer.
As far as I'm concerned their lack of proper customer service lost them out on a potential customer. There are plenty more businesses out there that will have the decent courtesy of replying to questions - those places will be where I take my business.
Old 09-30-2004, 07:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E-mail is usually a crappy way to talk to shops like this. One guy who fields 30 e-mails a day asking for a complete price break down for all services that they will likely never use is likely to not reply because it is not in his interest to reply.

If you want a bumper and have cash in hand, call the shop. Ask them if they have it, what it costs and then buy one. Do not just call to ask, do not just call for specs. Call to buy.

Search for Breezey's history here.
Old 09-30-2004, 08:04 PM
Banned

I get 30 emails a day for NE and I love replying!

But do give Breezey a call if you aren't getting through via email.
Old 09-30-2004, 08:22 PM
Contributing Member

Fly:
I have to humbly disagree. A simple yes or no would have sufficed. The fact that they didn't even bother to reply is just poor business practice.

Having a website and not answering your e-mails is like having a business phone and not answering your messages.
Old 09-30-2004, 08:23 PM
Banned

I agree, Peter.
Old 09-30-2004, 08:45 PM

Peter, are you the dude coming to the 4A?

Most shops are small, maybe 3 full time guys. It costs time and money to have one dude who sits and answers e-mails all day. I bet out of say 30 e-mails in a day, or so 150 in a week, less than 5 will ever be customers.

If you in need of tech, search the net.

If you are in need of product, then you ought to be ready to buy as an informed consumer so e-mails are unnecessary, all you need is to call for the order or the appointment.

For instance, I knew I wanted a rear bumper. I knew about what one cost and about what I could afford. I knew Rockware did good work, so I called to ask how soon I could have the rig in and for how long they would need it. I did not e-mail to ask about price or if they made one, because I knew I wanted one and that I would get one.
Old 09-30-2004, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by jacksonpt
Anyone know what the deal is with the rear bumper Breezy was offering though BentUp.com? I know Breezy had some issues on the board, but what about BentUp? Anyone ever talk to either one about the bumpers?
my assumption is that breezy did some web-site work for them, i assume this because about the same time he started pimping some of their stuff over here bentup got a new web-site replacing their old one that had hardly anything on it and hadn't been updated in at least 2 years. i don't think he works for them or really has any association beyond that with them. chuck and aj seem to be great guys and are very active both on pirate and ttora. i would try to contact one of them there.
Old 09-30-2004, 08:49 PM
Banned

if it's a good business, they'll devote as much time to dealing with customers on the internet as they do dealing with customers on the phone. especially in the case of Breezey posting about the product here ... on the internet.

you don't have much to keep up with emails.
Old 09-30-2004, 09:10 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Flygtenstein
Peter, are you the dude coming to the 4A?

Most shops are small, maybe 3 full time guys. It costs time and money to have one dude who sits and answers e-mails all day. I bet out of say 30 e-mails in a day, or so 150 in a week, less than 5 will ever be customers.

If you in need of tech, search the net.

If you are in need of product, then you ought to be ready to buy as an informed consumer so e-mails are unnecessary, all you need is to call for the order or the appointment.

For instance, I knew I wanted a rear bumper. I knew about what one cost and about what I could afford. I knew Rockware did good work, so I called to ask how soon I could have the rig in and for how long they would need it. I did not e-mail to ask about price or if they made one, because I knew I wanted one and that I would get one.
Fly:
No, I don't think that's me... I'm not planning on going anywhere except for work for a while

I kind of understand where you're coming from but at the same time you have to understand it from my perspective.
I was looking for a rear bumper for my 1st gen as the previous owner had chopped it off and the replacement he had gotten on there had rusted/sheared off. I had heard some good things about bentup and was just wondering if they had any 1st gen applications (in case their website wasn't updated). I sent an e-mail just asking if they had anything for my 86 and they just decided not to reply.

I had the $$ and I was ready to go - after hearing nothing back from them I went with All-Pro.

I'm sure other people have had positive experiences with them and I'm sure they're great people to know. This is just my experience.

I tend to be that type of customer.
If I have a good experience I will stand by the business as much as I can. If I have a neutral experience I won't go out of my way to support you. If I have a bad experience I will be sure to let people know when I can.
Old 10-01-2004, 09:05 AM

Best way I found to get info from a shop is to use the phone. Shop guys know that serious buyers will call them, and you will get alot more info over the phone.
Old 10-01-2004, 09:22 AM

oh crap... I ended up replacing my first post rather than just editing it.

While I do wonder about the bumper (strength, fit, availability, pricing), I wonder more about their credibility, and whether or not breezy is affiliated with BentUp or just singing their praises.
Old 10-01-2004, 09:34 AM
Contributing Member

No...do not lump Breezy in with Bentup. They are 2 separate entities.
Old 10-01-2004, 09:42 AM

When I send an e-mail, I have no idea if or when someone gets it.

When I pick up the phone and talk to someone, I know either my questions got answered or they have a particularly good person simulating robot.

Did the e-mail read, "do you have an application for a 86 4-Runner?" If not, then it was not just a simple "Yes" and press send. Most e-mails are not short and most e-mails are not easily answerable.

As long as I am making generalizations...
Most fab shops do not have off the shelf applications for every rig. Note that I said "most" and "fab shops." ARB can afford to make everything for Civics to Tacomas because they have computers welding things and can crank volume. Most true fab guys would rather build it on the rig, one shot, each time a little different than mess with a jig and measurements and angry customers because every truck is a little different.

The Bent-Up guys have done some cool Taco stuff and if they are a good fab place would likely take your rig in to make a custom bumper. E-mailing to see about off the shelf sounds like a recipe for failure.
Old 10-01-2004, 03:01 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Tacoma Dude
I e-mailed them last June with a simple question..."I see that you have bumpers for the later model Toyotas. Do you have anything for the 1st gen 4runner?"
Fly:
That's precisely the question I asked. Simple yes or no with an option to embellish if necessary.

But really we're beating a dead horse here.
Your interactions with them may have been great.
Mine have been non-existant.

Just my experience.
Old 10-01-2004, 05:37 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking Tip

If you call and leave a message include the phrase "I'm just calling to talk about finalizing my order" and I guarantee you you'll get a call back real quick.

Old 10-01-2004, 07:17 PM

This is not a dead horse, or I guess will not be until I hit the road tomorrow...

I am trying to elucidate the small shop 4wd world for those who feel damned by "the man" not caring enough about the inquiry. It is a waste of time plain and simple to answer 10 bazillion nonsense e-mails a week for non-customers. Someone who wants product will call, so having someone answer the phone works.

That too has its pitfalls since many people call for free tech and want to speak with the boss. I have seen at 3 shops the owner losing fab time to calls of people who will never spend a dime at the shop, not because of the shops business habits, but because the potential customer is kidding him or herself.

Most fab guys bill at $50 an hour. This means a 6 minute phone call costs 5 bucks. In a 10 hour day taking one 6 minute phone call every two hours, the guy has just spent 25 bucks on nothing. Do that for 5 days a week and the guy has pissed away probably all the comsumables he will use in the shop that week. Do it for the month and you have lost a full days wages. Not smart business, not fair to the shop owner and not fair to actual paying customers.

Call them if you want product. Search PBB for tech. E-mail the wife to make sure it is all right to spend the cash.