Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Undercarriage Camera!

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2005, 08:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Undercarriage Camera!

Here is a company making a 5 camera system trucks.

Here is a quote from there site:

Multi camera systems are being developed for several racing and off-road applications, including a 5 camera system for the Toyota Tacoma pick-up. More details will be available soon!

http://www.totalvisionproducts.com/products/racing.html

You can also see expeditions west pictured in that link.

No telling how much this system will cost. I would love to see someone put this on there truck and show a video of it.

Would this be something you would be willing to try if the price was right and it was rugged enough.
Old 08-24-2005, 08:39 PM
Contributing Member

That's sweet...like a self spotter. I can't imagine how much thats gonna cost though, if it was reasonable then ya I'd definately think about it.
Old 08-24-2005, 08:44 PM
Banned

there is a guy on www.explorerforum.com that has done this already

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/...d.php?t=133913
Old 08-24-2005, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by jimabena74

Doing this yourself with parts and buying a kit thats made to bolt up is two different things.

I'm sure this kit will be more rugged and other stuff I imagine.

Most people don't have the know how or are willing to go to the trouble of finding the right camera.

This camera package just about anyone could mount and hook up.

If its in a low price range I might give it a try.

BTW, nobody stole that guys idea. If anything he could have copied there idea. Its not like its hard to do this.

Remember how big the internet is. Just because someone comes up with an idea, doesn't mean another person stole it if someone else does the same thing.

Last edited by HappyPills; 08-24-2005 at 09:47 PM.
Old 08-25-2005, 08:10 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
If I ever get the time to install it, I have one of those rear view mirror/backup camera kits to install in my 4Runner. Initially will have just the one video camera, will probably play around w/ various mounting locations. Video display is on a small LCD that is part of the rear view mirror. If it seems another camera or two is needed, it'll be easy to add a video switcher to hande additional units.
Old 08-25-2005, 09:21 PM
Contributing Member

Hi guys

I have the first Total Vision system (Tacoma version) installed on my truck. Total Vision installed it recently, and I am currently still evaluating and testing it. So far I am loving it! The first adventure I took it on was when we teamed up with Expeditions West for the Nevada Trophy Rally Raid. I have done an article for my website, with details and install pics, which will be posted in the very near future after some final editing input from Total Vision Products. The system consists of a color LCD flat-panel screen that is connected to the cameras. I have five cameras on my truck currently, but the system can have up to six. I have a nose-cam, tail-cam and three cams under the truck. The ability to see over blind hills, self-spot in rough terrain, watch the suspension cycle, and back right up to something with the rear bumper without touching it is awesome (or hitching up a trailer with no spotter). Many uses in both urban and off-road environments.

I know everyone is going to want to know the price right away, but I don't have that info just yet. It will be coming from TVP shortly, and will probably have some flexibility with cost as to how many cameras, and type of monitor screen selected.

You can see the place on my site where the article will be posted HERE

And I assure you that the TVP system was not "stolen" from anyone. The company has been doing high-end mobile video systems for a long time, and the owner of the company has had systems installed on his Tundra 4wd and other trucks for a long time. He saw the potential for a "kit" system that would take out the guess-work and be a bolt-on affair, and decided to sponsor BAJATACO.COM with the first Tacoma prototype. It's very exciting stuff, so stay tuned!

(HINT: You might want to get a copy of the first issue of 4wd TOYOTA OWNER magazine coming out next month )
Old 08-25-2005, 09:23 PM
Contributing Member

I thought I recognized that Taco on the website...
You lucky dog!
Old 08-25-2005, 09:24 PM
Banned

i didnt say the idea was stolen, in the otehr thread on ef i did say that, but jokingly, however its the internet... and a lot of peopel think alike.. there is no evidence t oactually prove the idea was stolen, hell it was probably just htought of, people interested in the same things usually come up with similar ideas about things.....
Old 08-25-2005, 09:27 PM
Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
there is a build truggy i saw at Browns Camp this summer with a camera mounted next to the tcase with a wide angle shot of the rear axle. and then there is a 6-7" LCD inlaid in the dash. it was a clean set up. the guy was this little asian dude that looked like he would be a computer progamer i mean who wheels in slacks? but he was hella chill and knew his stuff when it came to yotas.
Old 08-25-2005, 09:31 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by jimabena74
i didnt say the idea was stolen, in the otehr thread on ef i did say that, but jokingly, however its the internet... and a lot of peopel think alike.. there is no evidence t oactually prove the idea was stolen, hell it was probably just htought of, people interested in the same things usually come up with similar ideas about things.....
No worries - I was just clarifying that for the record. No biggie.
Old 08-26-2005, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by BajaTaco
Hi guys

I have the first Total Vision system (Tacoma version) installed on my truck. Total Vision installed it recently, and I am currently still evaluating and testing it. So far I am loving it! The first adventure I took it on was when we teamed up with Expeditions West for the Nevada Trophy Rally Raid. I have done an article for my website, with details and install pics, which will be posted in the very near future after some final editing input from Total Vision Products. The system consists of a color LCD flat-panel screen that is connected to the cameras. I have five cameras on my truck currently, but the system can have up to six. I have a nose-cam, tail-cam and three cams under the truck. The ability to see over blind hills, self-spot in rough terrain, watch the suspension cycle, and back right up to something with the rear bumper without touching it is awesome (or hitching up a trailer with no spotter). Many uses in both urban and off-road environments.

I know everyone is going to want to know the price right away, but I don't have that info just yet. It will be coming from TVP shortly, and will probably have some flexibility with cost as to how many cameras, and type of monitor screen selected.

You can see the place on my site where the article will be posted HERE

And I assure you that the TVP system was not "stolen" from anyone. The company has been doing high-end mobile video systems for a long time, and the owner of the company has had systems installed on his Tundra 4wd and other trucks for a long time. He saw the potential for a "kit" system that would take out the guess-work and be a bolt-on affair, and decided to sponsor BAJATACO.COM with the first Tacoma prototype. It's very exciting stuff, so stay tuned!

(HINT: You might want to get a copy of the first issue of 4wd TOYOTA OWNER magazine coming out next month )
Can't wait to see the artical. I'm getting more and more excited about this.
Old 08-26-2005, 07:19 PM
Contributing Member

Hey Chris....

Is the camera water proof? I don't look for water but it seems to find me.

There is an article on me as well in that issue.
Old 08-26-2005, 08:09 PM
Contributing Member

It's so cool to see someone doing this commercially. I have been using these (http://www.x10.com/cameras/sc16a_s.html) for several years now, under and around my rig. After the axle swap I used one on the first several runs to keep an eye on things to see how they were settling in. My favorite vantage point is mounted on the front bumper, where I have recorded my favorite trails for viewing later.

I don't have any fancy switching system or a permanent monitor system, instead I have just plugged the camera I wanted to see into the video camera, then used the screen there.

I am looking forward to seeing the whole report on this system. Having a camera where you need it can make all the difference.
Old 08-27-2005, 03:54 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by sschaefer3
Hey Chris....

Is the camera water proof?
Yes, they are waterproof

Originally Posted by WATRD
It's so cool to see someone doing this commercially. I have been using these (http://www.x10.com/cameras/sc16a_s.html) for several years now, under and around my rig...
I am looking forward to seeing the whole report on this system. Having a camera where you need it can make all the difference.
Cool! I shoulda known you would have done something like that
Old 08-28-2005, 08:01 PM

Yes, they are waterproof
Good to here its waterproof.
Old 08-28-2005, 08:19 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ToferUOP
there is a build truggy i saw at Browns Camp this summer with a camera mounted next to the tcase with a wide angle shot of the rear axle. and then there is a 6-7" LCD inlaid in the dash. it was a clean set up. the guy was this little asian dude that looked like he would be a computer progamer i mean who wheels in slacks? but he was hella chill and knew his stuff when it came to yotas.
was it a orange 4runner with a grey exo? i think that Ive seen him before up there on bates road
Old 08-28-2005, 09:12 PM
Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
yeah it was orange.... i thought it was a truck, but it could have been a modded 1st gen. it was sicko whatever it is.
Old 08-31-2005, 07:12 AM
Contributing Member

I have done an article for my website, with details and install pics, which will be posted in the very near future ...

The article has been posted at my website. Click HERE to check it out

Old 08-31-2005, 07:22 AM
Contributing Member

Ahh... but can you get HBO on that contraption?
Old 08-31-2005, 07:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum...ead.php?t=5273

Dick Foster of TTORA made his own setup like this a while back. But a commercially available one for those of us who don't have the time or skills necessary to do it sounds pretty sweet!

Quick Reply: Undercarriage Camera!