Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tree truck protector

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2004, 08:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tree truck protector

hey, I am ordering a highlift jack soon and I also want to get the things I need to use it as a winch. Should I buy a tree truck protector or could I ghetto rig one? I have a never used 50' fire hose that I could maybe use as the protector or even a recovery strap, if yall think its strong enough.?.? Also, should I use chains or a strap for highlift winching? Is there any other accessories I need? Thanks guys. Larry
Old 06-25-2004, 10:07 AM

Hey Larry,

Good choice- a high lift is one of the best recovery tools around. Get the longest one you can fit!

Get several shackles that fit the attachment points on the jack. They make attaching straps and chains much safer. I carry a 30' x 3" x 30,000 Lb strap, several chunks of chain and a come-a-long. I've rolled my truck back over w/ the hi-lift by pre-tensioning the strap and chain w/ the come-a-long, hooking it up to the hi-lift, and then pulling the truck over w/ the hi-lift. The pull stroke of the hi-lift isn't very long, and it would have been used up just to get the setup tight.

IMO- The fire hose by itself is dicey to use as a strap. I do use it as chafing gear- it does a great job protecting straps, chains, winch cable, etc. It makes a good tree saver for chain too-

They ain't worth a hoot for changing tires tho- to tippy. One of the tricks I use to make changing tires easier is to use a short chunk of chain and a shackle to wrap around the frame and around the axle to limit wheel travel. It shortens up how high I have to lift the truck to get a tire off by about 6".

If your in an area w/ lots of soft terrain, get or make a large base plate for the jack. It needs to be at least a foot square to help in mud........even then I've jacked a chunk of 2 x 12 x 12 outta site

Daystar makes a niffty poly bushing that keeps the jack from rattling- great product, just wish I'd have thought it up!

later
Old 06-25-2004, 01:05 PM

Hey, thanks a bunch for all the info. So I guess what you are saying about my fire hose is that I could wrap it around a tree , then connect a shackle and chain to it for winching? Where is a good place to get a hefty chain? Also, is there any threat that if a rope where to break, the highlift could fly at the car like a torpedo? Thanks again man!
Old 06-25-2004, 02:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jake94
Get yourself one of these it includes every thing you need to turn you jack into a winch (x-cept the 3/8" chain)

Get them HERE
Actually, I don't think Hi-Lift sells direct ('cept for repair parts). I found the cheapest price on the winch kit here:

http://offroadrecovery.zoovy.com/category/hiliftjacks/
Old 06-25-2004, 03:12 PM

I'm kinda funnay about winching, towing, tugging- I am an ex-Coasty and have seen what happens when thing break.

Originally Posted by MellamoPOUND
.............So I guess what you are saying about my fire hose is that I could wrap it around a tree , then connect a shackle and chain to it for winching?
nope, run the chain thru it so that it protects the tree from the chain. I know people who've used fire hose as a strap, but that's not what they are designed for, and with the forces involved, I'm not gonna bet my life or limb on one.

FYI- good chain is expensive.

Grade 70 Transport Chain, 5/16–in. The strongest of the common welded chain types and the most efficient weight to strength ratio. Ideal for heavy–duty applications such as transporting binding and industrial use. Gold finish. Not to be used for overhead lifting. U.S.A.
Discount Price... $119.99 for 60'

I would not trust grade 30 (normal chain) for heavy aplications like tugging or towing.

For the price of the chain, you can get two 30' straps that stretch to absorb shock loads.
Old 06-25-2004, 06:34 PM

FYI- good chain is expensive.

Grade 70 Transport Chain, 5/16–in. The strongest of the common welded chain types and the most efficient weight to strength ratio.

Hi All I have been lurking here from time to time. I have many customer who are members of this group, and have link's showing up in my stats on a regular basis.

I have to weigh in on this post. Please do not use grade 70 or lessor chain for any kind of recovery. Although it is true that grade 70 is a strong chain, it is in fact the strongest steel chain available. The problem is that it is a steel chain. When it is pulled to capacity it snaps. This is why it is not rated for overhead lifting.

Grade 80 on the other hand is an alloy chain, when pulled to capacity will start to bend and will continue to distort until it breaks. This at least gives you some margin of error. If you notice that the links are bent you can stop pulling and Maybe save someone's life.

Please choose grade 80 chain if you want to carry a chain in your truck.

On a separate note we have just introduced an adjustable length strap with a 10,000 lb break strength and chain ends which is much lighter than a straight chain. Two of these can be used to replace the chain when using a Hi-Lift Jack as a winch. They can also be useful for other rigging operations you may require while freeing a stuck vehicle.

Thanks,

Dave
Old 06-25-2004, 06:44 PM
Banned

i wouldnt use an old fire hose... you never know its condition and it wasnt designed for that use....
Old 06-26-2004, 06:57 PM

Thank ya'll
Old 06-27-2004, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by MellamoPOUND
I have a never used 50' fire hose that I could maybe use as the protector or even a recovery strap, if yall think its strong enough
ACK!!! NO!!! This sorta falls into the tube vs pipe category, fire hose is designed (woven) such that it can sustain high internal pressures (on the order of hundreds of PSI). It is NOT designed to take a shock load along it's length!