Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

total chaos long travel kit

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2005, 03:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
total chaos long travel kit

I was just checking out the total chaos site... everything seems pretty straight forward. A couple of quiestion though, for those of you with experience with this kit.

First - is the gear designed to run with a particular coilover?

Second - I assume the recommended fiberglass fenders are for additional clearance. I have a 2" body lift on my rig... do I still need the extra clearance of the FG fenders?

Finally - how do the Tundra axles need to be modified?

I'm sure I could do some trial and error work with the long travel kit, but I'm trying to get some sense of a bottom line figure on what it will cost to make all of this happen.

The plan is to go TC long travel, new shocks and coils all around, regear and lock my rig by next summer. All of this is completely dependant on if we sell our house and for how much... so there's not telling if any of this is acutally going to happen.
Old 11-12-2005, 04:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Straight from the Chaos page you referenced:

"8” travel 2.5 Fox (PT# 980-99-246-A), King or Sway A Way shocks bolt into the existing factory coil bucket location. Bolt-on upper shock mounts are brand specific, specify the shock brand you will install when you order"

I would recommend sway away coilovers. I run these and have had no problems. I have even rebuilt them and it was fairly easy. Baja Taco also runs these on his rig as well as teh Trails Less traveled trucks. They are probably going to be cheaper compared to King or Fox. I spent 300.00 per shock. and 400.00 for both Eibach coils.

Fiberglass usually adds clearnce above and front and back. So if you have faith that your body lift helps in all of these areas, you will probably be ok. It will definitely work better than without a body lift. I am guessing you would be fine. BruceTS and Init6 are really the guys to ask.

I am not completely sure how teh tundra axles are modified, but I would guess that they are lengthened.
Old 11-12-2005, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by deathrunner

I am not completely sure how teh tundra axles are modified, but I would guess that they are lengthened.
You cut the flange on the inner axle, and put on a bigger boot.
Old 11-12-2005, 04:37 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
They use the tunrda axles because they are long enough to accomodate the extra travel.

Here is a good link on how they do it:
http://www.trailslesstraveled.com/viewarticle.php?id=41

Last edited by BajaRunner; 11-12-2005 at 04:39 PM.
Old 11-12-2005, 06:35 PM

I believe the fenders are because your suspension is wider with the TC kit.
Old 11-14-2005, 08:21 AM

Straight from the Chaos page you referenced:

"8” travel 2.5 Fox (PT# 980-99-246-A), King or Sway A Way shocks bolt into the existing factory coil bucket location. Bolt-on upper shock mounts are brand specific, specify the shock brand you will install when you order"
ah, ok... firefox doesn't like their site, so I didn't see that first time through. Thanks.
Old 11-14-2005, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by acreves
I believe the fenders are because your suspension is wider with the TC kit.
yes, which makes rubbing a bigger issue. However, because of my body lift, I am starting out with more clearance than someone running just the TC LT kit.
Old 11-14-2005, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by jacksonpt
yes, which makes rubbing a bigger issue. However, because of my body lift, I am starting out with more clearance than someone running just the TC LT kit.
I think what he is trying to say is that the fenders are designed more to cover the extra width and in turn make your vehicle street legal.

In truth, fiberglass fenders provide both. Clearance in the dimensions I stated and width to cover the tires to prevent thrown debris.

If you keep to stock rim spacing the width won't be a huge issue. You could get bolt on flares to cover the extra width too.

Personally I would just get glass, but I definitely understand the pain of painting it.
Old 11-14-2005, 08:35 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by jacksonpt
All of this is completely dependant on if we sell our house...
the house you just built??
Old 11-14-2005, 08:39 AM

I think what he is trying to say is that the fenders are designed more to cover the extra width and in turn make your vehicle street legal.
Ah, ok... missed that part of it.

If you keep to stock rim spacing the width won't be a huge issue. You could get bolt on flares to cover the extra width too.

Personally I would just get glass, but I definitely understand the pain of painting it.
It's not so much the painting as much as it is the additional cost. If I go through with this, I'm going ot do it right... just trying to get my head around what is necessary.
Old 11-14-2005, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by TDiddy
the house you just built??
yep - that would be the one. It's a long story - don't ask.
Old 11-14-2005, 09:47 AM
Contributing Member

I'd be willing to give you hand with the install. Doing it at home will save you good chunk of change unless you plan to have everything done all at once.
Old 11-14-2005, 09:51 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by init6
You cut the flange on the inner axle, and put on a bigger boot.
I would love to see your truck
Old 11-14-2005, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by TStango
I'd be willing to give you hand with the install. Doing it at home will save you good chunk of change unless you plan to have everything done all at once.
Thanks for the offer - I may take you up on it if things work out. Still a long way off from hapening though.

I'd be doing it at home... hopefully over the course of the weekend. I'd have to have the limiting strap tabs welded on afterwards as I have no welding experience, never mind the gear.
Old 11-18-2005, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by FilthyRich
I would love to see your truck
Ted's (init6) truck is awesome. Check out this video of it. Also, come on over to Mid-Atlantic TTORA and go wheeling with us sometime.

The Total Chaos kit is awesome. For my type of driving I'd do a SAS before a long travel IFS kit, but I've seen Ted wheel his a lot and it's cool.