Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

off roading

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2005, 05:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
off roading

i went off roading today with my buddies and a k5 blazer. i was suprised how little torque my 2nd generation 4 runner had. i got stuck twice in the mud and my friends blazer had to pull me out i was just wondering if you guys were facing the same problem?
Old 11-16-2005, 05:41 PM

Received 188 Likes on 133 Posts
Neither the 22re nor the 3.0 have much horsepower or torque, but I don't think that's what is causing you to get stuck in the mud. What kind/size tires do you have versus this Blazer? Once your tread fills up with mud, it's very hard to gain any traction at all.
Old 11-16-2005, 05:42 PM

What size engine, tires, and locker?
Old 11-16-2005, 06:08 PM

Did you use 4L?
Old 11-16-2005, 06:13 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Your a discrace!

You're supposed to be pulling out the Blazer, not the other way around!! hehe

I used to wheel my '89 4-banger everyday and never got stuck once... I pulled out Rangers and Chevys all the time.... Well maybe twice. heh
Old 11-16-2005, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by CraZyRunner
i went off roading today with my buddies and a k5 blazer. i was suprised how little torque my 2nd generation 4 runner had. i got stuck twice in the mud and my friends blazer had to pull me out i was just wondering if you guys were facing the same problem?
It's probably not a lack of torque, dude. Are you locked? Mud tires? Anything? All the torque in the world won't help without effective tires and drivetrain.
Old 11-16-2005, 06:27 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Lack of torque is likely not the problem. I have enough torque with my 1st gen's 22RE to break parts, I try to keep the torque below that threshold if at all possible. Describe how you got stuck, might help to get better answers. Likely you had one front and one rear tire spinning in the mud. A locker or limited slip diff in one or both axles would make a world of difference.
Old 11-16-2005, 06:34 PM

How about air pressure in the tires? That's a very big consideration. Unless the Blazer had *very* large tires and yours were stock or bald that shouldn't have happened.
Old 11-16-2005, 06:36 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!!!

Last spring we had a mud bog next town over. 4 trucks made it threw, two were toyotas, one with the V6 and the other i believe had a 22RE. Both on 35's.
The other two to make it, a old Jeep Keiser on 44's and a old Ford on 38's or something like that.

The key with mud, good mud tires and momentum. Got to keep the tires spinning, allowing the tires to clean themselves. Dont need to go blasting thru it either, just dont stop.
Old 11-16-2005, 06:52 PM

yeah as the others said, tires are a big thing... also driving technique... 2nd or 3rd gear(if you have a manual) will give you plenty of power to get through the mud. if you are in a high gear sure you will get momentum before you hit the hole but then you will start to "bog down" and it will feel as though the engine has no power at all. Ahh the days of "muddin'"....

... I got sick of cleanin my rig so I stick to the trails and rocks.. it stays dirty, just not muddy... working under a muddy rig sucks.
Old 11-16-2005, 06:57 PM

i have 31's and my friends k5 has 35's and is lifted i had it in 4L but i couldnt get out i turned the wheels backed up did everthing i dunno i was probably doing something wrong so its good to hears its not the torque!
Old 11-16-2005, 07:01 PM

i have 31's and my friends k5 has 35's and is lifted i had it in 4L but i couldnt get out i turned the wheels backed up did everthing i dunno i was probably doing something wrong so its good to hears its not the torque!
also I found that having a tread that has a good self-cleaning pattern is KEY!... A/T's tend to be close lugg'd on the end so that they will ride better, but if you notice the lugs on a mud tire or a swamper are spread further apart so the mud will not clog up the tread.. that's a BIG factor when gettin thru mud.....

that being said.. mud isn't that fun, find an ORV park you'll have so much more fun on the trails IMO

... technical skill progression of wheelin': mud--->trails--->rocks
Old 11-16-2005, 07:15 PM

Unless you had MT tires, and maybe a locker or two, then that's what was wrong, most likely.
Old 11-16-2005, 08:41 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by SC4Runner
Your a discrace!

You're supposed to be pulling out the Blazer, not the other way around!! hehe

I used to wheel my '89 4-banger everyday and never got stuck once... I pulled out Rangers and Chevys all the time.... Well maybe twice. heh

I have done this....Pulled out a Kblazer with dana 60 and 44s with one tire completely off the rim. That was fun. Its great when a 4cly. yanks a gigantic V8 out.
Old 11-18-2005, 09:55 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not to highjack the thread, but im locked fr and rr, running 33" Firestone MTs, 4.88 gears, 4LO, with momentum and still get stuck all the time... I think my problem is the truck doesnt have enough guts to spin the tires fast enough to clean them...

So then thinking lockers, i tried running it on the side with two tires on somewhat more solid ground and still got stuck:

Old 11-18-2005, 10:02 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
ohhhh mannn, that is some serious mud...with two lockers, and the muds...i guess you need some paddle tires at that point....lol
Old 11-18-2005, 10:23 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Yep, deep mud and sand are two places where you need horsepower to get enough wheel speed to do any good. Many of the common "MT" tires are really not good in deep, heavy mud. You need a real mud tire like a Super Swamper TSL or Bogger to work there. I know my BFG MTs are only so-so in mud. My old Swampers were a lot better, but I prefer dry ground and rocks to mud.
Old 11-18-2005, 10:46 AM
Contributing Member

i like a lil mud..but too much isnt so hot. That is some really THICK mud you are stuck in Cory.
Old 11-18-2005, 12:05 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The goal was to get my truck in something it couldnt get out... so we found the muckiest hole we could, and well the pictures show the rest. It was very thick, soupy mud... and pretty much bottomless.... i found out later a full size chevy locked front and rear with 44's dug it out a little before i got there....

I can see a set of boggers and a V8 in my 4Runner's future :-p
Old 11-18-2005, 12:47 PM

My experience is Toyota's in 3L and 2.4L form are not mud trucks. I've hit mud holes with good momentum in my 85 4Runner running 31" BFG AT's and in 2nd gear 4LO the engine would bog to the point of stalling, even though I hit the hole at 4 grand WOT. I can't imagine how underpowered it'd feel with big mud tires. It could at least spin the tires in 1st gear low range... but even at redline there is nowhere near enough wheel speed to clean the tread, even on a good mud tire. To mud you need to be able to turn big agressive tires FAST... and you need power to do that.

My fullsize Chevy with 33" mud tires and a built 400 makes a cake walk out of similar mud holes. Just stand on the gas, watch mud fly 30' in the air and hold on!

Quick Reply: off roading