Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to the offroading world....

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2004, 02:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New to the offroading world....

I Recently bought a 2004 Toyota Tundra limited Double Cab 4x4. I'm new to offroading and was wondering what parts would I need to get me going.
Old 03-07-2004, 04:37 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

:bounce2: Well, it depends on what kind of wheeling you plan to do, but a good start would be a lift, to get some more ground clearance, bigger tires, possibly gears, locker, or you could be one of the first people to do a SAS (Solid Axle Swap) in a Tundra (i would) :bounce2:
Old 03-07-2004, 06:06 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 2k4tundra4x4
I Recently bought a 2004 Toyota Tundra limited Double Cab 4x4. I'm new to offroading and was wondering what parts would I need to get me going.
whoa, this guy is just getting started. as cool as a SAS may be, it's probably too early to be thinking about that.

2k4tundra, i'll quote some advice for you that i got when first got into the whole offroad world...

These guys in this forum are into the "Hard Core" wheeling, Its only obvious, you have seen suggestions to rip
the front end out of it and replace it with a solid axle. If you are into the hard stuff then yeah go for it, but I
think I know what you are after. You drive your 4Runner to work everyday and want to hit some trails on the weekend.
The middleground "Multi Purpose" rig. Right?

First, leave your trucks engine as close to stock as possible, make only minor intake and exhaust mods. If you go to
wild you won't be as reliable.

Second, I recommend a good set of aggressive All terrain tires I have had mudders and swampers and the like but the
good ol BF Goodrich All Terrian T/AKO are my current tires and they are great. Quiet on the road and rugged, yet
agressive enough for most situations off-road.

Third, Practice. Take your truck on easy trails to start and gain more experience. Do this throughout the modifications
process, that way you have a frame of reference and can test each mod.

Fourth, maybe some swaybar disconnects so that your syspension can flex to the best of its ability.

Fifth, If you don't already have some sort of traction control I would get a limited slip or mild locker for the
rear differential. Avoid front lockers unless its selectable such as an ARB as a fulltime front locker will make your
rig so its not too streetable.

Sixth, Rocker protection if needed, and a outdoor kit that you can throw in the back of your rig and strap it in.
(Survival gear, tools, first aid etc.) its good to be safe.

Seventh, If you like wheeling at night its good to get some extra lights installed, driving lights and off-road
lighting will help you a lot.

AVOID: Costly extensive modifications: You don't need 300HP and 36" tires with full width Dana 60s to enjoy off-road
adventures. Example: R33 GT-R is saying you should rip the IFS out of your brand new rig before its payed off and out
of warranty? Expensive and dumb for your intended use, 4" lift may come in handy with the large tires and you may want
to do that some day, but that isn't the first mod I would do unless you need it, and with much larger tires you WILL
need to regear the diffs. Furthermore a Supercharger?? unless you opted for that one you purchased you rig, or you
really want the added power then I would avoid it, 2,000 can be better spent, Obviously if you went the rout that
R22GT-4 is suggesting you will be spending your house payments on your rig and when you are done, you won't have a
very streetable rig and you may be upset with the outcome, sure off-road it will be DOMINANT but again how serious of
stuff do you get into and how often do you wheel?? They key to multipurpose is streetable reliable daily driver that
can tackle a variety of trails

Moderate suspension lift.
Streetable All/terrain tires
limited slip or mild rear locker, selectable front(if needed)
limited engine mods
EXPERIENCE.

i have to pretty much agree with this. to get a real start on wheeling, your best bet is some agressive tires, and a mild lift. beyond that, protection (like sliders and front bumper and skids) then go for traction aiding devices like a locker. along the way, you can always spice things up with small mods such as swaybar disconnects and offroad lights. and yes, experience will help you the most. definitely wheel with others starting out and learn what works and what doesn't.
Old 03-07-2004, 06:58 AM

Well I want to mostly want to go to the mud and trails.Speed is also important. I'm going to use it as a daily driver and go on the trails on the weekends. What websites do you reccommend where I can get the parts.

Last edited by 2k4tundra4x4; 03-07-2004 at 07:04 AM.
Old 03-07-2004, 07:19 AM
Contributing Member

I have a 2002 4runner, and a 2002 tundra. I have never taken it off road, and I don't see myself doing it. Maybe ....... maybe on the beach or a mud pit somewhere. But its just to damn big to be on a trail (at least in the midwest and east coast trails). I think you might be better off keeping this is as a street truck, and for towing. Then pick up an old beater trail rig, that you can bash on, and use the tundra to tow it around.

but if you still insist on this. then the following is what I suggest. Sway bar discos, and some rock sliders so you don't break anything. That will get you started, and after your first wheeling trip you'll see what everyone else has and what you need on your own.

good luck

Last edited by sdastg1; 03-07-2004 at 07:25 AM.
Old 03-07-2004, 08:03 AM

The Trails are pretty big in Cali and I would get a used beat up used 4x4 but I don't have room for another truck.
Old 03-07-2004, 08:18 AM
Contributing Member

I just noticed you have a double cab. Mine is just an extended cab. The wheel base is just too long, your going to bang it on every rock. Its going to look like a see-saw. just make sure you take lots of pics when you go.

good luck
Old 02-24-2009, 01:40 AM

i think he talkin about fireroads
Old 02-24-2009, 07:09 AM

WHEEL IT!!!! The answers will come to you.

Armor it well, if you care about body.
Old 02-24-2009, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by 4rnr
WHEEL IT!!!! The answers will come to you.

Armor it well, if you care about body.
X2

take it on a mild trail and see how far you get and what you need to get farther.

for example, when i first got my truck i wanted to lift it as soon as i could. then, i took it wheeling and realized that i dont really need a lift for what i want to do

also, no matter what you do, you need protection like, good bumpers and sliders. and you will not go far without the right tires either
Old 02-24-2009, 08:39 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Well, I'd be REALLY impressed if the guy is still unsure on lifts after 5 years.

In fact, I'd be impressed if he is still around the site. 3 posts from 2004. Not likely.

Old 02-24-2009, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by AxleIke
Well, I'd be REALLY impressed if the guy is still unsure on lifts after 5 years.

In fact, I'd be impressed if he is still around the site. 3 posts from 2004. Not likely.

Son of a bitch!

Pandaman, You are obviously one of the anus's in your avatar. There is no point to you, please end yourself.