Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Long Travel 1st Gen.

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2005, 07:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sacramentoprerunners
OK well I went over after work and had a few beers with him and helped him prep his race truck. I brought up that picture and his old setup and he laughed about that picture. He was running the replacement swayaway torsion bars (not the 300's). The reason he got such good flex out of that is because on the driver side, the torsion bar's bolt had just broken. This gave him the extra flex in the picture. I would imagine it looking more like the second pic with that bar working properly.
Well, that's good to know, but it is also kinda lame that total chaos uses that pic for advertising purposes. So I take it if that truck were on level ground that way, the driver's side would be looking at the ground.

Well, maybe I have it figured out better than he did. Here's me without a broken torsion bolt and using the same tbars:
Name:  IMG_2498.jpg
Views: 982
Size:  139.0 KB

Thanks for the info, man. That helps alot. That's cool that you can just cruise next door and help prep the truck. Sounds like fun.

Last edited by deathrunner; 08-25-2005 at 07:57 AM.
Old 08-25-2005, 09:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yea he's gettin his 7s class ready for Vegas to Reno. Should be a good race. We're taking it out to Nevada for prerunning tomorrow so if anyone wants me to snap some pics of anything specific let me know...

Either way you have chaos and thats the only way to go with IFS. You'll get more droop with that setup than any other.

Last edited by sacramentoprerunners; 08-25-2005 at 09:42 AM.
Old 08-25-2005, 09:59 AM

Actually I'm running the JD Fabrication kit.....but yeah it's way better than stock.

Man I'm jealous, have fun in nevada.
Old 08-25-2005, 11:07 AM

eh pretty much same
Old 08-25-2005, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by ewong
This is a GREAT thread...

Just been gettin the 4Runner back into operating condition.

I wanna run a TC setup but budget isnt there quite yet.
Currently runnin
- SAW 300M torsions cranked a small bit
- AOR springs - broke my Deavers
- Downey dual Bilstien up front (rewelded too many times)
- 7100s in the rear

Want to extend shocks up into the bear area but still have it sealed off....

Also - an option for bedsides is to go full glass and then mod the inner fenders....

ANd they DO make 4Runner glass fenders
http://www.toyotafiberglass.com/4runner.htm

Pics of the rig
[thread jack]

Is this the ewong from telemarktips? You know, seems like there was a Toyota thread over there and I posted a photo of my truck, but don't recall yours. Anyway, looking good.

Slightly back on topic, I've started down the road, with a TC idler arm. Yeah, someday, it'll get the full deal. But this year's boatload of cash was lockers/gears/tires.

[/thread jack]

Last edited by DaveInDenver; 07-14-2006 at 06:12 AM.
Old 08-25-2005, 03:03 PM

I was at the dunes a few weeks ago, and looked over a guy's rig that has a TC setup...

This setup bolts up to the factory points... So Could I install this kit with my 4 inch lift, giving me 8ish inches of lift? that would be cool
Old 08-25-2005, 05:11 PM

Well I thought about it at first, then I saw it on a rig, then I learned.

It is a terrible Idea. chaos arms equal more leverage....braket lifts equal more leverage. That is way too much prssure on the stock mounts, plus you would be way too tall. If anything I would combine them and really truss the hell out of the bracketry. Then I would leave the arms at stock crank, that way the arms flex real easy and the brackets provide the lift....but forget about it....it would be weak and for the money a SAS is more worthy for that height.
Old 08-26-2005, 04:56 PM

Yea I agree that's just about the worst idea I've heard to do with chaos. Do chaos or jd alone on the front for IFS. This will get you anywhere you want to go. If you want more height go SAS for sure. No other option.
Old 08-26-2005, 05:41 PM

Well, honestly, it's not the best idea, but you could runa 3" body lift with a chjaos kit for height. I've seen that too.

I think the body lift will make the whole truck weaker, but at least in a better way than a chaos/bracket combo would be. Bracket kits are functionally like body lifts under the frame, so if you're thinking of that, might as well just get a body lift and save the a arm mounts some stress.

But, really, combinations are asking for trouble.
Old 08-26-2005, 06:58 PM

hmmm, good point guys thanks
Old 10-20-2005, 10:34 PM

Hey Pinnacle, I put the 450lb coils on and it is definitely soft. It has a bit of body roll or lean to it. Porbably just me getting used to the coilovers, but probably also a side effect of softer springs.

Did you notice more body roll when switching to coilovers?

At least it's not as bad as a linked truck.
Old 10-21-2005, 06:42 AM
Contributing Member

I noticed less body roll than stock. Going wider and stiffer helped out alot to reduce body roll on my 4runner.
Old 10-21-2005, 08:30 AM

Yeah, Torsions and the wide arms definitely had ZERO body roll, pretty close to stock feel. I guess it's just my soft coils. I'll have to see how it feels after a while. I really only got like 10 mins behind the wheel. Just testing it out in the neighborhood around the shop.

I gotta say, the ride is definitely less choppy than with torsions. They flex well (at least in a suburban environment) Thanks a ton for the 450# recommendation, you rule.

As I see it, you and I have to:

A) get together and finally do a run

B) build an LT kit for the 350Z of yours
Old 10-21-2005, 08:39 PM
Contributing Member

Is the 4runner out of the shop?

How about the anza Borrego trip on Nov. 11-13?
Old 10-22-2005, 05:37 AM

Well, here's the deal. THey got most of it done for me to take out today. But being the dork I am, I still have some things i want changed with the rear suspension. So I will be dropping it back off on monday. But, it is like 97% done.

I'll post pictures of it from the run. If I have it back on the 11-13 that sounds like fun.
Old 10-22-2005, 08:27 PM
Contributing Member

I cant wait to see some pictures or in person.

I'm entertaining myself with the idea of linking the rear suspension on mine. Instead of running the shocks off the links, they will be mounted off the axle and at less of an angle shown in the pics. They will probably have to be run straight up and down. Something like this:
Name:  020fd4ce.jpg
Views: 788
Size:  49.3 KB
Name:  c380d363.jpg
Views: 786
Size:  44.1 KB
Name:  9933a3c4.jpg
Views: 764
Size:  18.8 KB

Its still just an idea I'm tossing around. No real serious plans for the rear suspension yet.
Old 10-23-2005, 08:58 AM

Coilovers and bypasses yummy....

That would be pretty sick. I haven't gottena chance to put up a proper post on my rig, but I will get a round to it. Went on the run yesterday and had a great time, the rear needs some work still, I creamed a pair of one day old poly bumpstops.

I posted a couple pics in the calendar contest section, if your interested. Later -Seth
Old 10-23-2005, 10:00 AM
Contributing Member

WOW! YOur runner looks really nice. How do the C/O's compare to the Torsions? Also how is the rear? Is it soft or stiff? It looks like it flexes well.
Old 10-23-2005, 11:17 AM

Thanks dude,

The Coilovers are great, they absorb everything and flex really well. The only draw back is the body roll, but by the end of the day...I couldn't even notice it anymore. I think I psyched myself out about it, but it definitely leans more than the torsions.

The rear flexes out great, but I am still unhappy with the setup. The 9.5" shackle is too long as it keeps the leafs too far from the frame. There is still 7" between the bump pad and the leaf when the pack goes flat. We remedied this temporarily by putting a urethane bump elevated off of the spring retainer. It allowed for about 2" of reverse arch. I destroyed the bumps because the axle wanted to go further.

We need to put on a 6-7" shackle, put 2 leaves back in the pack, change the rake of the shocks, and revalve them softer. Over all it was very nice compared to before and it's almost done. I would clench up anticipating some of the big bumps and then we would pass it and wonder where the bump was. Pretty funny. As far as flexing, I didn't lift a tire in any of the tougher sections.
Old 10-25-2005, 08:35 PM

Thought I'd post these up to alleviate any questiosn bout axle upgrade options....

T-100 rear end upgrade I did recently....

Truss
Powertrax Locker
Gears

Last one....3 and some change over per side....complete bolt on w/ spring under conversion for deavers....

with the gears and locker & for the money definetly one of the best upgrades I did on my truck...

matches front end just bout perfectly....backs a little wider than front,but I like it that way....different than those trucks out there w/ 6 overs in the front and a stock rear....

Quick Reply: Long Travel 1st Gen.