Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lockers...how to tell if its there...?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 06:33 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lockers...how to tell if its there...?

im thinking about pickup up this 85 22re sas 4runner, its nice and they say it has 5.29 gearing and lockers, its on a different island so i had my friend check it out for me and he confirmed that there is some type of good gearing because it pulls great on flat ground and up steep hills in 3rd and 4th so im happy that we confirmed that but we dont know a way to tell if there is actually the lockers in it that the owner says it does, the only bads about the runner is some rust and i think it needs a knuckle rebuild kit, planning on ordering a hy-steer setup when i order the rebuild kit, the cost for the rebuild kit will lower the price of the truck i hope

i know how to check if its welded by jacking it up and spinning the tire and if its a real locker both tires shouldnt spin at the same time because it had no traction to engage the locker and if its the opposite and both tires spin with no force or traction the its welded...correct me if im wrong

if i had it my way i would check it that way but im not sure if ill be able to jack up this guys 4runner to actually see so i was wondering if there is any other ways to tell? the only other way i can think of is to take it into some mud or muddy hill and give it the skinny pedal a bit and have someone watch the tires spin but the truck aint mine yet and i cant see the owner letting me do that before i pay him because of the risk of me breaking something on the truck

any help on this subject is greatly appreciated, thanks guys

aloha
Old 10-08-2008, 06:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Make a turn on dry pavement and see if it's "lurchy"? lol

Rob
Old 10-08-2008, 06:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lift up the axle, and spin the tire, if it spins the same direction it has a locker in it.

if it spins the opposite direction its an open diff.
Old 10-08-2008, 06:44 AM

^^and by "it" he means the other tire.

If they both spin the same direction its locked. Or at least has an LSD.
Old 10-08-2008, 12:11 PM
Banned

wouldnt a welded one do the same? so if i can spin on tire to the front of the truck and one to the rear then its open?
Old 10-08-2008, 12:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
no,

if i spine the right rear tire, and it spins the opposite direction its open.
Old 10-08-2008, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by crolison
no,

if i spine the right rear tire, and it spins the opposite direction its open.
lol trust me. you drive down the road with 5:29's you can see the difference in the lower gearing from stock. i got 5:29's in my 4runner i can feel the difference.

Along with locker. I just got my rear end welded this weekend. You turn any corner no matter how slow or fast. you'll hear a squeek. thats a locker.

if it doesnt squeek or skip. Your open.
Old 10-08-2008, 12:59 PM

if its not welded it wil "ratchet" around turns. By ratchet, i mean make a clicking noise. If its welded it wont do that, it will probably squeal the tires.

(assuming its not ARB, electric, or LSD)
Old 10-08-2008, 01:04 PM

welded means, both tires spin in the same direction at the same speed all the time.

youll know if its welded, because when you take a turn, lets say at 5 miles per hour, it will sound like you are taking it at, lets say, 20mph!

Ask him what kind of lockers he has.

ANother clue is, if it is an auto locker, such as lockright, aussie locker, when taking turns you will hear a faint clicking noise.

EDIT: "i am way to slow at typing today"