Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The last 4th gen. Lift questions...

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2005, 01:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The last 4th gen. Lift questions...

I have been reading and searching, and reading and searching all night long. Lift after lift question, after lift question. Maybe it's just the sleep deprivation.

Rocky, Good Times, Bulldog, you all have been consistently extremely helpful, and I thank you. If any of this seems repeatitive, I'm sorry.

I am ordering my lift today and nothing is stoping me. Except for my inability to decide on a spacer lift kit.

I have narrowed it down to Daystar, Revtek, or Cornfed. Yup thats all of them. Let me tell you what I am looking for and you tell me what I should get.

90% of my driving is street, 10% construction (mud, gravel, dirt, minimal climbs) Quit honestly, a lot of my reasoning is cosmetic. I love the way a lifted truck looks and I hate that my girlfriends stock 2005 Tacoma Prerunner sits higher than my 4Runner.

I know we all disagree, but I also love my 20" Enkies so I am keeping these. I have decided on the tires though, I am getting 305/50/20 which will measure exactly 32" with a good amount of sidewall.

Here is what I want...

1) I want to clear 32" tires without a problem. By problem I mean rubbing or alignment problems. I know some of you have told me that you trim to avoid rubbing. (Dumb question time) What exactly are you trimming away?

2) I want to level the truck out, but I don't want it to sag in the rear, mainly after settling. So I don't mind that the front is slightly lower than the rear. Anything is better than the current factory nose dive I have now.

Rear sagging is big for me. I HATE the way a Ford Explorer looks after a few years, or with a suit case in the trunk.

3) Polyeurathane or aluminum to prevent long term settling? (Cornfed or Revtek)

4) Change the rear shock or leave it alone? (Daystar or Revtek)

So we have ...

Revtek with 3"F/2.5"R Poly
Daystar with 2.5"F/2"R Poly
Cornfed with 3"F/2"R Aluminum

Let me tell you my "assumptions" and you all can correct me if I'm wrong.

a) Revtek/Daystar will settle more than Cornfed because of Poly versus Aluminum.

b) Cornfed will probably show more rear sag since it has the greatest variance between front to rear level, 1" versus 1/2".

c) Although Daystar has the best customer approval, it won't be enough to clear 305/50/20 after it settles.

d) With Cornfed you would get a clank/sqeal from the Coil (METAL) on the spacer (METAL).

Please let me apologize in advance for all my concerns. Since I am installing this by myself, I really want to get it right the first time.

THANK YOU ALL in advance. Please, just tell me which one will work the best and that is the one that i'll order tomorrow. Crap, I mean today. Crap, it's 5:00am in the morning.

Last edited by Yosmany; 08-02-2005 at 01:47 PM.
Old 05-26-2005, 01:52 AM

i think the revtek would be a good one. the poly spacers seem to be just as good as metal and probably wont sag. but if it does, get new springs or get a body lift. revtek lift with a body lift and you probably wouldnt have to trim anything. that trimming question. the bottom corners of the fenders is usually what gets trimmed. with the 3 inch spacer lifts, you're most likely gonna need an alignment. stiffer rear shocks might help out with the sagging too. i think. well, you got my opinion on this. hope everything works out for you.
Old 05-26-2005, 02:54 AM
Contributing Member

From what you'vd said, I'd recommend the Daystar if yours is a 4WD, Revtek if 2WD. You're awful worried about looks and I *assume* that you'd rather not do anything real mechanical and/or do something over again. You are likelier to get accellerated bit wear with more lift. Not to mention the ride becomes a little more crappier (your trade-off for settling on spacers).

Trimming may involve a little of the rear portion of the front bumper area and/or the area behind the tire. No worries there, the tire will scrub a little clearly showing you where to massage it.

Good Luck!
Old 05-26-2005, 08:49 AM
Contributing Member

Have you thought about getting OME's? There's a vendor selling them for 699 shipped!! Now that's a deal I must say. This will replace everything (shock and coil) so that means no worries about the ride getting stiff over time like all spacers will encounter.

If you have a few more bucks to spend, I'd recommend OME's all the way. If this is not an option then I recommend Cornfed. Also get aftermarket rear shock (OME perhaps?).

Good luck

EDIT:
you have a sr5 so no worries about xreas... thus the OME factor To me that's a done deal I think...

Last edited by Good Times; 05-26-2005 at 08:50 AM.
Old 05-26-2005, 09:30 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Good Times
Have you thought about getting OME's? There's a vendor selling them for 699 shipped!! Now that's a deal I must say. This will replace everything (shock and coil) so that means no worries about the ride getting stiff over time like all spacers will encounter.

If you have a few more bucks to spend, I'd recommend OME's all the way. If this is not an option then I recommend Cornfed. Also get aftermarket rear shock (OME perhaps?).

Good luck

EDIT:
you have a sr5 so no worries about xreas... thus the OME factor To me that's a done deal I think...
Thanks for the plug Lance, that is us (TRDParts4U.com). I was trying to address his concerns and I didn't want to appear self serving & pimp the deal, but since you mentioned it.... OME linky here
Old 05-26-2005, 09:31 AM

Lance,

Who's the vendor? What's the hieght of their lift? Money isn't really an issue, but I don't want to spend a crazy amount either considering that I'm getting tires and a lift.

What do you think about the tires 305/50/20?
Old 05-26-2005, 09:36 AM

Hey Chris,

Do you anyone else on here have pics of this lift installed on a 4th Gen?
Old 05-26-2005, 09:45 AM
Contributing Member

I only know of 2 that have the OME on the 4th gen. I don't know of any other users that have this setup at the moment.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f117/4th-gen-old-man-emu-suspension-lift-56875/

Personally speaking, since $ is not an object, I recommend OME's. You'll enjoy them and it's easy to install since it's just a matter of removing the entire suspension and then replacing everything except for the top plate. No need to compress the coils and fit the spacer or anything like that. Just deassemble the entire unit use the stock top plate and new coil/shock and call it a day

Any OME vendor will have this so just find the best price around town and enjoy!

As for your tires... can't say for sure since you're going into uncharted territory like I am w/ trying something different. I guess you'll just have to measure out the exact tire size and compare it to what the others have.

Good luck
Old 05-27-2005, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by Yosmany
Hey Chris,

Do you anyone else on here have pics of this lift installed on a 4th Gen?
I'll have mine in mid to late June... waiting on ARB/OME to get them into the states But I'll gladly post pics when I get them, as well as a detailed install write-up.
Old 05-27-2005, 02:46 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i just got my 4runner n love it! i've gone offroad some in the country in concord,nc. i live in charlotte,nc so during the week i drive on the streets n on the weekends go different places with my friends in their jeeps. anyways i want a lift that isnt like 3inchs but sumthin like 1.5-2.5, wut do yall suggest is the best buy. i dont know which to chose cuze i like revtek alot but daystar seems good n i know ome is awesome but i dont know much bout cornfed. i want to run 31inch to 32 inch tires. info would be great! also thinkin bout some exhaust(info on that is welcome)

Last edited by 4runnerkid88; 05-31-2005 at 12:34 PM.
Old 05-27-2005, 02:53 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Yosmany
Lance,

Who's the vendor? What's the hieght of their lift? Money isn't really an issue, but I don't want to spend a crazy amount either considering that I'm getting tires and a lift.

What do you think about the tires 305/50/20?
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/showpost.php?p=593922&postcount=1
Old 05-27-2005, 03:00 PM
Banned

if money is no issue, then OME. if money is an issue, then cornfed or revtek (revtek especially because it comes with longer rear shocks).
Old 05-31-2005, 01:38 PM

OME it is..

Just got off the phone with Barb and Chris. Just ordered my OME kit. thank you all for your help.

All I need now is a good write up.
Old 05-31-2005, 01:56 PM
Banned

Hm...
Old 05-31-2005, 01:57 PM
Banned

I sent you a PM. Also check with bulldog-yota or FirstToy about a write-up.
Old 05-31-2005, 01:59 PM
Contributing Member

write up is the same like any lift btw. esp w/ the sr5 non xreas it's even easier. just use the spacer write up as you can't go wrong
Old 05-31-2005, 02:05 PM
Banned

GT ... did bulldog or firsttoy say though that the coils were heavy duty enough that it'd be more ideal if you had access to a garage with a wall-mounted compressor? just thinking aloud here ...
Old 05-31-2005, 02:56 PM
Contributing Member

life would be more ideal if someone did all the hard work, but you should be able to compress the coils using the good ol regular coil compressor. wall mounted is always nice but i've seen ppl compress pretty stiff coils using the pos compressors.
Old 05-31-2005, 03:36 PM

20's w/ OME's doesnt sound good to me. Sounds like a kidney buster. If you're going for looks and 90% street 10% mild offroad, Daystar sounds pretty good to me.

You know Sleeoffroad.com has 4Runner OME kits in stock. They did all the figuring out with part #'s and had the smarts to bring this stuff into the country in the first place. They also know customer service and support.
Old 05-31-2005, 03:38 PM
Banned

i think he already ordered his from trdparts4u.com ??

Quick Reply: The last 4th gen. Lift questions...