Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How Much Air Do Your ARBs Use?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2006, 03:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How Much Air Do Your ARBs Use?

Well I'm starting to think about lockers already and have all but decided on front and rear ARBs with 5.29 precission gears and the ARB compact compressor.

I would like to mount the air compressor in one of the rear side cargo comnpartments due to a lack of underhood space and the fact that I know how to get wires and hoses back there easily.

My question is, how much will the compressor have to work to use the lockers? It has a very small tank on it but I have no idea what kind of air the lockers will suck up.

Will I have to hear it running pretty much all the time or just a few short spurts every now and again?

Thanks!
Lamm
Old 08-27-2006, 05:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I had a runner I had my pump in that location. Its noisy and vibrates, but other wise a great location. With one locker I can get 2-3 locks before it charges, which is about a 5-10 second run. Once the locker is locked it wont use anymore air, until you lock it again. I later added 2 2.5 gallon tanks, with no leaks I could go almost all day wheeling without it having to recharge... but youll only hear it pump every couple of locks...sooner if locking both F&R at the same time.
Old 08-27-2006, 07:02 AM

You don't need tanks, the compact will do fine running front and rear, just an occassional cycle once it is up to pressure.

Putting it in the passenger compartment will be noisy and if the solenoids ever vent gear lube, you will have that awesome smell in the cab too.

Not sure what else you have underhood, but I got mine in with a 3.0 auto leaving cruise and everything untouched.
Old 08-27-2006, 07:55 AM

About where did you put yours cheese?

Just looking at my engine it is hard to imagine it wouild fit. I have added some electricl stuff (fusebox, etc.) but otherweise id stock.

Also, would it be possible to route the hose or whatever that vents gear oil out through a hole in the body?

Thanks!
Lamm
Old 08-27-2006, 11:13 AM

Mine is on the driver's side inner fender real stinking close to the firewall. You should have no problems with a compact. Mine is an old style big one and I am debating crossing over.

It was in with the stock engine, but the 3.4 has freed up more room.
Old 08-27-2006, 11:51 AM

I never had a gear lube vent problem... and I ran for several years without the tanks, they were added for tire fills, not the lockers.... I really liked my pump in that location. I dont like the underhood idea for corrosion and the likes.... but thats just me.
Old 08-27-2006, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Flygtenstein
Mine is on the driver's side inner fender real stinking close to the firewall. You should have no problems with a compact. Mine is an old style big one and I am debating crossing over.

Hmmmm, I think my 3.0 may be different than others. Most I have seen have a huge open area there, I have a huge ABS device and a maze of brakelines there...

Lamm
Old 08-27-2006, 03:03 PM

On a side note... do you really think going from 4.88 to 5.29 is worth the $$$... thats a lot of money for a minor gear change...7.7%, wouldnt it be better to go 5.71???
Old 08-27-2006, 04:03 PM

Yes I do. The automatic is terrible. Overdrive is like 6th gear to you. Having the 5.29s with 33s is a pretty prooven combo for 3.0 autos as I understand it.

Currently, overdrive is too high with 32s and 4.88s for anything more than a 1 percent grade or speeds above 65 mph most times.

Lamm
Old 08-27-2006, 04:37 PM
Sponsoring Vendor

Lamm, I mounted mine on the drivers side ans I have the same mess you do. I relocated acouple items and shoehorned it in. I would not put inside. Too noisey. Also I am running 4:88's and I think you will hate the 5:29's if you are driving it to and from the trail. The 4:88's offer a good on road gears and off road all the power you will ever need. Just telling my experience with them and I love them. I will try to take a picture for you and send it to you tomorrow.
Old 08-27-2006, 04:42 PM

Phil, are you talking about your old 4Runner or new one, or were both autos?

Lamm

Last edited by 4x4Lamm; 08-27-2006 at 04:57 PM.
Old 08-27-2006, 04:54 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here's where my compact compressor fit:

Chris at Rock Tech Offroad and I thought about a couple other spots. But, this one worked the best.

I decided to use the compact compressor for the ARBs exclusively and have a separate onboard air system for tires, etc. I bought a VIAIR 450C system I still need to install.
Old 08-27-2006, 05:25 PM
Sponsoring Vendor

That saves me taking a picture. That is exactly where I mounted mine. And Yes Lamm both the '91 and the '92 are autos.

Originally Posted by Snorkeldepth
Here's where my compact compressor fit:

Chris at Rock Tech Offroad and I thought about a couple other spots. But, this one worked the best.

I decided to use the compact compressor for the ARBs exclusively and have a separate onboard air system for tires, etc. I bought a VIAIR 450C system I still need to install.
Old 08-27-2006, 06:15 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
x3 for the driver's side wheel well by the cruise control actuator (mine is the larger one even)

I can 'wheel almost all day without the compressor running. After engaging/disengaging the front several times, it may run for a couple seconds. When I turn off the truck, and start it again, it runs for several seconds.

After driving my truck (manual) with 4.56 and 4.88 and 33's and Molly's truck (auto) with 5.71 and 35's, I think 5.29 is right for an auto with 33's. Molly really needs lower gears - can't pull the overdrive on anything other than downhill or flat with a tailwind!
Old 08-27-2006, 06:34 PM

Troy, I appriciate the input on the gears. I think this is Cheeses feeling as well.

Actually, my cruise in on the passenger side, huge azz ABS takes up the drivers side. Looks like it's time for me to make a cardboard mockup of the compressor.

Also, do you guys leave your compressors hot all the time? What reason would there be to keep the air preassure full all the time except when wheeling? I think I would just leave the power to it DC'ed on a daily basis.

Lamm
Old 08-27-2006, 07:25 PM

Thanks for using a big C.

I forgot you poor guys had that cruise thing. Mine is different. I have a whole mess of stuff over there now with an LSPV, brake lines, etc.

I ran 33's with 5.29's a 3.0 and an auto. It was great. Or is good as it could be.

I also ran 33's with 5.29's, a 3.4 and an auto. It would haul but was likely pretty revved out. No tach, so no clue. It would go 90.

Now I run 37's with 5.29's, a 3.4 and an auto. Not much time on the street yet, but I am thinking it is time for an SC.
Old 08-28-2006, 12:35 AM

The Pump will come with a swtich and pressure switch built into the wiring harness. I would use it. You dont have to figure the wiring out, its just plug and play... I think the pump will last longer if its only used when needed too...

I have my pump mounted right behind the seat in my reg cab now, now thats noisy... I may have to reloacte to under hood like you guys talk about... doesnt seems to hurt the pump any.. How often do you "lube" the pump???
Old 08-28-2006, 05:18 AM
Contributing Member

I need to get me one of those little suckers...got any tips on who is selling them the cheapest?

Last edited by Albuquerque Jim; 08-28-2006 at 05:22 AM.
Old 08-28-2006, 06:14 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

Thanks for using a big C.

I forgot you poor guys had that cruise thing. Mine is different. I have a whole mess of stuff over there now with an LSPV, brake lines, etc.

I ran 33's with 5.29's a 3.0 and an auto. It was great. Or is good as it could be.

I also ran 33's with 5.29's, a 3.4 and an auto. It would haul but was likely pretty revved out. No tach, so no clue. It would go 90.

Now I run 37's with 5.29's, a 3.4 and an auto. Not much time on the street yet, but I am thinking it is time for an SC.

If you need a SC I have 42 brand new in the box that I can sell it for $1,899.00 plus shipping. The new Dealer cost on these units is $2,300.00. So even with freight you can save alot of $$ and still be below what other Dealers are buying them for. Let me know. As for the gears I still like my 4:88's. My overdrive works just fine and I get pretty good milage now too.
Old 08-28-2006, 06:15 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

Originally Posted by Albuquerque Jim
I need to get me one of those little suckers...got any tips on who is selling them the cheapest?
Come on Jim you know I sell them. E-mail Jacque for a shipped price at info@trdparts4u.com

Quick Reply: How Much Air Do Your ARBs Use?