Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how to change toyota axle shafts ??

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2003, 07:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question how to change toyota axle shafts ??

hey all, just curiouse if anyone know's how to change an axleshaft for a rear of a toyota, would like to know front to, but im more worried that if i break an axle on the trail i wont be able to get the rear fixed!! im planning on buying extra axles and u joints to take with me when i 4x4, so any help would be appreciated!!! thanks

wade
Old 06-14-2003, 08:42 PM

Not that hard, the Chilton's and Haynes manuals show how. Too lengthy to go into here though.
Old 06-16-2003, 09:10 AM

thanks dude, i have both so ill check tonight.

laterz
wade
Old 06-16-2003, 06:05 PM

Re: how to change toyota axle shafts ??

Originally posted by wimpywade94
hey all, just curiouse if anyone know's how to change an axleshaft for a rear of a toyota, would like to know front to, but im more worried that if i break an axle on the trail i wont be able to get the rear fixed!! im planning on buying extra axles and u joints to take with me when i 4x4, so any help would be appreciated!!! thanks

wade
How about specs on your rig?
You comonly don't have rear axle problems unless you are heavy, like 4 runners and such.. I have been beating on my toy housing, 4.3 with 38.5s and only break ring/pinions, shafts are plenty strong.
Old 06-16-2003, 06:12 PM
Banned

Front or rear? IFS or Straight front axle?

That will help us help you.
Old 06-16-2003, 07:00 PM
Contributing Member

FWIW, I'm interested in knowing how to change a front shaft on an IFS rig. I know I've seen other posts on that, both here and on ODW, but haven't got around to searching for them yet.

I have a slightly leaky CV boot, currently zip ties are good enough to keep it sealed up. But if/when the time comes to replace the boot and I find that the joint is worn that could come in handy. I've heard its much cheaper to replace the shaft rather than going to the dealer to replace a joint.

I've also heard about people changing them on the trail - I think jeff may have busted one and swapped one (?) mid-run.

OK, not to hijack wade's thread... I think he has a '94 and was looking for info on the rear.
Old 06-16-2003, 07:34 PM

The rear is easy..
remove the wheels/drums
remove the brake cables from the drums(cotter pins)
remove the brake lines from the brake slave cylinders and plug the lines.
remove the 4 14mm nuts fr5om each side(4 bolt flange) and slide the axle/backing plate out...
Old 06-17-2003, 10:48 PM
Banned

Originally posted by crash
The rear is easy..
remove the wheels/drums
remove the brake cables from the drums(cotter pins)
remove the brake lines from the brake slave cylinders and plug the lines.
remove the 4 14mm nuts fr5om each side(4 bolt flange) and slide the axle/backing plate out...
If the shaft is busted on the trail you also have to drain the diff fluid, disconnect the driveshaft and pull the diff out to get the end of the shaft out of the splined hole where the new shaft has to go.

I have no idea how to remove the outer end of the shaft from the brake assembly but I bet it involves a big assed puller or hydraulic puller/press. Shane should know since he's going with that fancy full floating rear manual hub setup and rear disc brakes.
Old 06-17-2003, 10:53 PM

Originally posted by jx94148
If the shaft is busted on the trail you also have to drain the diff fluid, disconnect the driveshaft and pull the diff out to get the end of the shaft out of the splined hole where the new shaft has to go.

I have no idea how to remove the outer end of the shaft from the brake assembly but I bet it involves a big assed puller or hydraulic puller/press. Shane should know since he's going with that fancy full floating rear manual hub setup and rear disc brakes.
But thats only if it breaks right at the edge of the splines, if its any farther out, your screwed because you WILL not get the 3rd member out... Alll the rear shafts I have seen break, its right at the inner clip for the axle bearing, that is where the most amount of weight is on the shaft and the notch in the shaft for the clip creats a sheer area for the shaft to break....
Old 06-25-2003, 04:11 PM

if i go with that fancy full floating rear manual hub setup and rear disc brakes will the axle be able to come out without taking off the rear wheel? kinda like the conceptof full floaters. after I get some money i may do that!

thanks for the help

wade