Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hi-Lift cast verses new cast Hi-Lift X-treme model

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2006, 08:34 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Hi-Lift cast verses new cast Hi-Lift X-treme model

http://www.central4wd.com/inventoryd...;folder%7C5144

http://www.hi-lift.com/products/xtreme.htm

My red 48" cast Hi-Lift has rust on it in places, and not the hardware, but the metal of the jack.
These things rust very easily.

Does anyone have the new X-Treme model, and if so, it is more rust resistant on the frame?
I know the hardware is, they state that.

Thanks,
Old 10-07-2006, 09:02 AM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Dunno, but I gotta "upgrade" soon to a 60" so I might get the "extreme" model. Mine sits in the garage except for wheeling trips, which I think is the best protocol for keeping them rust free. The carrying case might help too, but I think it would just hold "in" moisture IMO.

Old 10-07-2006, 09:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
is your rachet/walking mechanism rusted or just the bars? the bars should be pretty strong, even with a little rust, and should clean up easy. i keep the mechanism doused with WD40 and wrapped in a plastic bag. it stays clean and lubed.

as for the cool end bar on the xtreme, the jack-mate is a good alternative http://www.trekoutfitters.com/extra/hi_jack/index.htm with the claw on the head, this also works to replace the foot.
Old 10-07-2006, 09:38 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Just the metal parts where you see all of the holes in the body.
Little rust here and there, should not be any since the jack never sees daylight unless I load it up for a trip.
It is like the powercoating job they did was really cheap.

It sits tucked away in my home.

Still might get the X-Treme modle and sell my current one here.
Old 10-07-2006, 09:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
Dunno, but I gotta "upgrade" soon to a 60" so I might get the "extreme" model. Mine sits in the garage except for wheeling trips, which I think is the best protocol for keeping them rust free. The carrying case might help too, but I think it would just hold "in" moisture IMO.

You can buy the 60" bar from 4wheel parts. I did this wheen I needed to upgrade, and didnt want to buy a new one... cant rememeber how much, but it wasnt bad at all.
Old 10-07-2006, 09:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a 60" Extreme. The 48 became pretty useless with the new suspension.

The coat looks solid, my red 48 rusted quickly.

It has an easily detachable bottom, a top that has a thumb screw and really covers all the bases. I also like having the Daystar handle thing too. Makes it easier to carry.

"What limits people is a lack of character. What limits people is that they don't have the nerve or imagination to star in their own movie let alone direct it." Tom Robbins, Still Life with Woodpecker. May 2003.

Old 10-07-2006, 10:01 AM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Tested the "slider adapter" on the Extreme Flygt? How's it fit?

Old 10-07-2006, 10:06 AM
Contributing Member

A thing of beauty, that. They gave one away at the Cruisin' The Woods raffle last week where I was lusting after it. Corey, the nice thing about the 48" is that it fits perfectly on the floor behind the front seats, but I don't have a mount like yours and prefer to carry everything inside to avoid snags.
Old 10-07-2006, 11:02 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Thanks Adrian, I will have to pick one up later.

Bob, I prefer to carry everything on the outside of the rig, this way they can not fly around in the cockpit should an accident/rollover occur.

I never once got snaged with my old rack on the 4Runner.
I would hear bushes/branches scraping it, but nothing every got harmed or snaged up on it.

Plus it keeps the inside of the rig cleaner too.
My jack has grease on it to protect the moving parts, one less thing to worry about messing up the interior.

I thought I was going to hate the factory rack, but I am so glad I went with it.
I think it looks better than any aftermarket one too, and the rack is so easily modifiable to add anything to it you would want.

Old 10-07-2006, 11:26 AM
Contributing Member

OK, OK, you convinced me! Actually, your first point is definitely on my mind. It would hurt getting bonked by a flying Hi-Lift. At least I have the axe and shovel strapped down.
Old 10-07-2006, 11:33 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Yeah, I read a huge post over on the big FJ forum of rack verses no rack, and it cracked me up.

There were quite a few who took off the factory rack and had no plans on putting another one on.

It makes me think if they are really going to take their rigs off road or not.
To be a responsible off roaders, one should carry their own tools (axe, shovel, Hi-Lift) and not depend on others in their group to bail them out.

Sure they will get help, but one should always be prepared and carry their own supplies.

Like I mentioned, I am glad I went with the factory rack, I almost did not want it since there was nothing out for it at the time.
It just took a little creativity to figure out how to hang all my ornaments on it
Old 10-07-2006, 11:54 AM
Contributing Member

Agreed, the rack is the best OEM I've seen. It snagged a bunch of stuff on last weekend's run to the point where a couple of cross-bars loosened up. I guess the upside is that without the rack the roof would've been damaged. I'll copy your impressive set-up and be careful how things are positioned to minimize snags. Plus I just realized that I'll be ordering the roof lights and fairing combo on the SE that require the rack anyway.
Old 10-07-2006, 12:01 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

You must be going on some trails with a lot of low hanging stuff then.
I have not ran across to much of that up where I go.

Usually it is quite open on the top, but can be tight on the sides.

No offense to any FJ owners who buy the Gobi (Hummers supplier) racks, but man, those things are $1.5K, and I personally think they are fugly looking.
The OEM rack I think just looks right with the FJ.

Looking very forward to pictures of your new rig.